Quantcast
2009 Guitar Gods? - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2009 Guitar Gods?
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #121
Gear Addict
 
Fu Schnickens's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➡️

The notion of guitar gods, past, present, or future is largely a bunch of nonsense in my opinion. I honestly don't care who is "making an impact" in 2009 or 1969 because the song is what matters. The only way I'd ever consider someone to be a guitar god is if they had both chops AND songwriting ability.
Then why the hell did you reply to this post? The topic is specifically Guitar Gods 2009. If you have nothing to contribute to the subject, why do you insist on wasting our time and forum space to declare that you're not participating in the discussion? What kind of nonsense is that? Tee-te-dee.

I like RATM, and I think Morello may be more of a Guitar Hero than a Guitar God. His use of effects is quite original, but I don't know if he has the general taste, chops, or (yes) speed to qualify as a full-fledged GOD. Regrading G. Govan, Vai has that arena covered thouroghly - earlier and far better. I think we are talking here about the overall talent of these candidates, including tone, versatility, chops, speed, popularity and feel. Tall order to fill. And even if you hate on a particular player like, say, Hendrix, you must acknowledge that he is a god, whether you like it of not, because he singlehandedly changed the way we play our instruments. In three years.

Last edited by Fu Schnickens; 12th February 2009 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: I had more to say, dammit.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #122
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
I thought Rush was gone, but Snakes and Arrows is a revelation - even by their own standards. Since this thread deals with guitars, Alex Lifeson hasn't gone anywhere. The flexibility and creativity in their last album is spellbinding - and I mostly listen to classical music!
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #123
Gear Nut
 
tubeydude's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I'm digging Andy Timmons right now. His CD resolution is pretty killer. He can shred when he wants of course, but what gets me is the phrasing and melodies he creates.

Really good tasty playing...not "because I can" music...
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #124
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Derek Trucks is the best blues player today. No comparison. And as far as slide, Tronzo is the only guy that can compete with trucks.

Nels Cline is in a class of his own.

The guys from Umphrey's McGee are ok. They are extremely overrated because the jam scene is plagued with mediocre ******y. So they stand out. But they aren't anything special.

Guthrie Govan, as previously mentioned is without a doubt one of the best players ever. He really doesn't have a style of his own but as far as stylistic flexibility, technique, and phrasing he can't be touched.

Charlie Hunter deserves to be mentioned. He is in a class of his own as well.

As far as jazz goes, Lionel Loueke is probably the most innovative player on the scene in a while.

Not to be overlooked is Trey Anastasio from Phish.

Ronan Chris Murphy, that guy you posted is great. But he doesn't even compare to Mattias Eklundh who does very similar things but much much better. Mattias was already mentioned here, rightly so.

Wayne Krantz is arguably the best guitar player on the planet. Check out his recent work - 2003 and more current.

And you want to talk about creativity, Dave 'Fuze' Fiuczynski from the Screaming Headless Torsos is an unstoppable player. This guy can run circles around anyone.

Funny that people post in a guitar god thread when the scope of players they listen to on the instrument is so narrow.

Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #125
Lives for gear
 
gm5k's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
for those that think Petrucci's just a shredder...



IMO Petrucci is the best as far as combining technique with awesome songwriting ability. but then again...im a DT fanboy so what do i know? heh
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #126
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Whoa. Petrucci can play cliche slow pentatonic blues licks too? With thin digitalesque tone? This guy can really do it all.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #127
Gear Maniac
 
lank81's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Guitar Gods - 09

Two guys that I think are great guitarists of our day in time would have to be Jack White and John Frusciante. Sure they aren't your typically shredders like a vai, satriani, etc. but I'm not looking for a bunch of scales played really, really fast. I'm looking for creativity, for old school which is fresh, and technical music that sounds like it has soul. You could probably throw in Morello also, yes very main stream guys but all worthy of Guitar Godness. Morello can produce sounds like no one else, Jack White has made the Digitech Whammy to the front end again, and Frusciante has a mind for music. I could go on about each but if I had to put them in a top 3 order of just them I'd go Frusciante, Jack White, Morello. Sure all of Frusciante's music might not be my taste but the way his mind works is basically genius like.

Lank
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #128
Gear Maniac
 
lank81's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydennyy ➡️
Derek Trucks is the best blues player today. No comparison. And as far as slide, Tronzo is the only guy that can compete with trucks.

As far as jazz goes, Lionel Loueke is probably the most innovative player on the scene in a while.


Both of these guys are amazing. There really isn't anyone out there right now in the blues circuit that can play it out quite like Trucks.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #129
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebuskyle ➡️
You named some great guitarists above (Nils Cline, Kim T., Jack W....etc....) and I would wholeheartedly agree with you that these cats (aside from Morello...one trick pony) are doing some really amazing stuff. I mentioned Nils in my original response to this thread...and he's really probably one of the few shining stars that is combining tone/playing/taste/feel.

But for you to say that you have to like an artists music to respect his/her ability is just absurd and quite elite (basically like saying if I don't like your music you're s*&t!).
Yeah, but technical ability means nothing if it's not used in the proper context. The ability to make something that is enjoyable to listen to is as important as anything. Otherwise what's the point? And, no, I would not consider ****** noodling to be enjoyable to listen to. If the guitar fireworks are to the point where you find yourself listening only to them and not to everything else going on in the song that's a problem. So yeah, I do have to like an artist's music to respect them. That's what this whole little game is about. THE SONG.

It's not elite. It's reality. True ability encompasses many aspects and to water it down to only the technical side is what I find truly absurd.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #130
Lives for gear
 
dangoudie's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Orianthi
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #131
Gear Nut
 
SubwayRocket's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Greg Howe ; Albums) Tilt w/Kotzen , Project w/Kotzen and
Soundproof (2008) <---new album is very good

Holdsworth, George Benson, EVH, Coletrane
all rolled into one . . .

He's a great solo player, his Rythm's....so-so

Brent Mason, Johnny Hiland, Danny Gatton (RIP), John Williams, Andy Timmons, so many to list
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #132
Gear Guru
 
Musiclab's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➡️
I love how, in your defense of Mayer, the next logical step in your mind is to simply infer that I must not know anything about him. That's a well devised train of thought you have going on over there.....

As I said before, the guy CAN play. However, the songs suck and I don't listen to songs to marvel at how fast somebody can move their fingers. Big damn deal... I listen to songs to experience the whole thing. I don't care how good of a player Mayer, or Eddie Van Halen, or Eric Johnson, or whoever is. There music is boring at best and many times downright nauseating. Whether it be "Your Body is Wonderland", "Waitin' on the World to Change" or anything in between, they all totally make me ill to varying degrees.
Well you made, in my opinion a ridiculous comment when you said all of his tunes sound
Your Body is a Wonderland" it shows an ignorance to the guy's work, so once again big guy, name another song that sounds like your body is a wonderland. and as far as his playing goes while don't think he's a guitar god I do think he's a really good player and really versatile. He has an excellent fingerpicking thing, an excellent harmonic knowledge and approach and a real respect for the blues and jazz. And he's versatile enough and knows enough to hang in those genres. Look I'm no fan of the tune you mentioned but there are others I think are excellent. I think you heard the singles and you think that's all there is. Regardless you are wrong about him
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #133
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
the fundamental problem here is the notion of guitar "god" -- ugh! -- mostly ******s in my view... nels clines DOES do a lot of cool stuff, but most of the others here play way too many notes, etc. -- yes, of course, to each his/her own -- fair enough and as it should be...
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #134
Lives for gear
 
blim's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm sounds ➡️
He's in Brazil. My god....I quit.


YouTube - Insanely Amazing Guitar Solo
Yuh, insane. Insanely awful. This is exactly what I (and now others) in this thread are talking about when we decry pointless speed-for-the-sake-of-speed ******y.

You probably should quit. Not because you think (somehow) you'll never play like the idiot in the video. But rather because you actually think his playing is good.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #135
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab ➡️
Well you made, in my opinion a ridiculous comment when you said all of his tunes sound
Your Body is a Wonderland" it shows an ignorance to the guy's work, so once again big guy, name another song that sounds like your body is a wonderland. and as far as his playing goes while don't think he's a guitar god I do think he's a really good player and really versatile. He has an excellent fingerpicking thing, an excellent harmonic knowledge and approach and a real respect for the blues and jazz. And he's versatile enough and knows enough to hang in those genres. Look I'm no fan of the tune you mentioned but there are others I think are excellent. I think you heard the singles and you think that's all there is. Regardless you are wrong about him
Look, I've heard plenty of his other stuff. Just because I can't spout off the names of all of those songs doesn't mean that I haven't heard them. Perhaps the reason that I don't know the names is because his songs are pretty forgettable. I don't even know the names to some of my favorite songs because they're on albums that I only listen to front to back and have never bothered to seek out individual tracks because the album is too good to pick and choose.

If I was forced to listen to John Mayer I would definitely choose to listen to his more bluesy stuff like he did with the John Mayer trio. That stuff is definitely more palatable (relatively speaking) than some of his other uber lame soft rock bull****. And again, I never said that the guy couldn't play. And I'm fully aware of the differences in his soft rock stuff vs. his more bluesy/rock stuff and the "transition" that he's made over the course of his career.

But here's the problem. And it's a big problem. Anybody that says to themselves "yeah, I should record and release a song with lyrics that say you're body is wonderland" is finished from that point forward, as far as I'm concerned. Also, like I said, I can't remember specifics about song titles or lyrics of any number of his other songs that are equally as lame and fall into that same category (cause he's got plenty). It really doesn't matter.

Even if you try to make the argument that he used soft rock accessability to get his foot in the door... That's still lame. If he always felt that his true sound was a more bluesy sound, then why didn't he do that from the get go? Giving up on your true artistic sense in hopes of pursuing it later is bull****. If someone feels so strongly about "their art" it seems a little hollow to me that they would willingly give up on it even for a second. If he always wanted to be a "bluesman" or whatever, that's what he should have done in the beginning instead of whoring himself out to make songs that belong on Disney Channel soundtracks.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #136
Lives for gear
 
H-Rezz's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I think the only thing we'll take away from this thread is that everyone will find their own guitar 'god' for 2009, depending on which guitar player speaks to them ......

I'm not fond of the term shred(even though i might use it at times) , shred to me alludes to guitar players that sound like they are practicing scales and exercises at a million miles per hr and have zero phrasing capabilities , for me this term does not encompass improvisers that through great technique/harmonic knowledge can play fast and be inventive at the same time , create great phrases , punctuate , question and answer and so on ......YMMV .
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #137
Gear Addict
 
Farm sounds's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz ➡️
I think the only thing we'll take away from this thread is that everyone will find their own guitar 'god' for 2009, depending on which guitar player speaks to them ......

I'm not fond of the term shred(even though i might use it at times) , shred to me alludes to guitar players that sound like they are practicing scales and exercises at a million miles per hr and have zero phrasing capablilties , for me this term does not encompass improvisers that through great technique/harmonic knowledge can play fast and be inventive at the same time , create great phrases , punctuate , question and answer and so on ......YMMV .
Great post. I want to thank everyone who posted links too. I discovered more then a few guys I will follow from now on. Thanks!
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #138
Lives for gear
 
gm5k's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydennyy ➡️
Whoa. Petrucci can play cliche slow pentatonic blues licks too? With thin digitalesque tone? This guy can really do it all.
heh. agree to disagree. i think it's a very well written solo. guess i was just trying to say he can play with feeling. i do agree about the tone though, was a bit off on the latest tour. makes me think he's using some kind of new tone sucking distortion pedal.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #139
Lives for gear
 
H-Rezz's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydennyy ➡️
Derek Trucks is the best blues player today. No comparison. And as far as slide, Tronzo is the only guy that can compete with trucks.



My favourite slide player , i will now add Tronzo , great slide player ....

YouTube - Brett Garsed Spensers Live - Slide Solo 15/05/08

YouTube - Brett Garsed and Marshall Harrison: Blues Jam
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #140
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➡️
".....like nails on a chalkboard........but I gotta give props". What the hell kind of way is that to think? There's more to being a good guitar player than showing everybody how "skilled" you are.

Nobody is making you give props to Santana except yourself. I don't like Santana one bit so he gets no props from me. Why do you feel the need to? I guess putting taste and economy over flash and ego stroking makes me close minded huh? Give me a break.

This doesn't have anything to do with hatred. It has to do with guitarists who put the cart before the horse. As a guitarist myself, I find this type of mindset appaling. More guitarists should learn how to play with some taste.

As for your last question about the next kid guitar god..... I don't have an answer because I don't ****ing care.
But you cared enough to tear down John Mayer...so I have to call bull$hit on that one, bro
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #141
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➡️
Look, I've heard plenty of his other stuff. Just because I can't spout off the names of all of those songs doesn't mean that I haven't heard them. Perhaps the reason that I don't know the names is because his songs are pretty forgettable. I don't even know the names to some of my favorite songs because they're on albums that I only listen to front to back and have never bothered to seek out individual tracks because the album is too good to pick and choose.

If I was forced to listen to John Mayer I would definitely choose to listen to his more bluesy stuff like he did with the John Mayer trio. That stuff is definitely more palatable (relatively speaking) than some of his other uber lame soft rock bull****. And again, I never said that the guy couldn't play. And I'm fully aware of the differences in his soft rock stuff vs. his more bluesy/rock stuff and the "transition" that he's made over the course of his career.

But here's the problem. And it's a big problem. Anybody that says to themselves "yeah, I should record and release a song with lyrics that say you're body is wonderland" is finished from that point forward, as far as I'm concerned. Also, like I said, I can't remember specifics about song titles or lyrics of any number of his other songs that are equally as lame and fall into that same category (cause he's got plenty). It really doesn't matter.

Even if you try to make the argument that he used soft rock accessability to get his foot in the door... That's still lame. If he always felt that his true sound was a more bluesy sound, then why didn't he do that from the get go? Giving up on your true artistic sense in hopes of pursuing it later is bull****. If someone feels so strongly about "their art" it seems a little hollow to me that they would willingly give up on it even for a second. If he always wanted to be a "bluesman" or whatever, that's what he should have done in the beginning instead of whoring himself out to make songs that belong on Disney Channel soundtracks.
I guess we really differ here...I love that song...and the lyrics are friggin sexy as hell ...

"Something bout the way the hair falls in your face...I love the shape you take when crawling towards the pillowcase..."

Sorry...but that calls some pretty cool images to my mind....and I have absolutely no problem with him making a panty moistening song. I cant think of many better things than spending the day in bed with my girlfriend...and he captured the spirit as well as any other song I have ever heard.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #142
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz ➡️
There are a lot of good guitar players from Eastern Europe who fuse folkoric styles with their shred ......

Here is a few .......

Muris Varajic

YouTube - Muris Varajic - Final Dance , Guitar Idol 2009 Entry.

YouTube - Muris Varajic Mojo Oro...Boost

Dragianni...

YouTube - Dragianni - Flying Potato Blues (Guitar Idol 2009 Entry)

Damjan Pejcinoski ....... more jazz fusion vain ......

YouTube - Greg Howe play for me 2 - Damjan Pejcinoski

Country ....

YouTube - Damjan Pejcinoski- J.Hiland style track

Another +1 on Guthrie Govan , he is truly amazing ......

the phrasing that this muris guy has is incredible I added him to my youtube favorites

Bill
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #143
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
everybody here is comparing "apples to oranges" here I have read through this thread and song writers are being compared to guitarist the title was "guitar god" HELLLO!!!! oh and thanks for the jack white of the white stripes... Now I have to clean the vomit off from my screen.....I played better than that when I was 13 on a sears guitar!!!!

Bill
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #144
Gear Addict
 
thedoner's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
It's the inevitable nature of threads like this to come flying-off-the-rails .... I agree that the NEW gtr gods really don't exist. A guitar GOD can only become one through their universal elevation to that pedestal. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, there just isn't enough interest anymore in the type of virtousity that brought guys like EVH, Vai etc. to superstar status. Anyway....

Guthrie Govan is really impressive. A nice mix of chops and taste...and that band Plotz! is amazing. Just heard both of them for the first time...Thanks

I worked with this guy in the studio recently and was pretty blown away: A NYC guy who has been making a pretty good name for himself lately. Plays with some real heavyweights

Oz Noy

YouTube - Oz Noy with Will Lee & Dave Weckl-" EpistroFunk"
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #145
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Wayne Krantz is a monster. Im really digging Lionel Loueke as well. Locally (Atlanta) oen of my favorites is Ede Wright.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #146
Gear Guru
 
Musiclab's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➡️
Look, I've heard plenty of his other stuff. Just because I can't spout off the names of all of those songs doesn't mean that I haven't heard them. Perhaps the reason that I don't know the names is because his songs are pretty forgettable. I don't even know the names to some of my favorite songs because they're on albums that I only listen to front to back and have never bothered to seek out individual tracks because the album is too good to pick and choose.

If I was forced to listen to John Mayer I would definitely choose to listen to his more bluesy stuff like he did with the John Mayer trio. That stuff is definitely more palatable (relatively speaking) than some of his other uber lame soft rock bull****. And again, I never said that the guy couldn't play. And I'm fully aware of the differences in his soft rock stuff vs. his more bluesy/rock stuff and the "transition" that he's made over the course of his career.

But here's the problem. And it's a big problem. Anybody that says to themselves "yeah, I should record and release a song with lyrics that say you're body is wonderland" is finished from that point forward, as far as I'm concerned. Also, like I said, I can't remember specifics about song titles or lyrics of any number of his other songs that are equally as lame and fall into that same category (cause he's got plenty). It really doesn't matter.

Even if you try to make the argument that he used soft rock accessability to get his foot in the door... That's still lame. If he always felt that his true sound was a more bluesy sound, then why didn't he do that from the get go? Giving up on your true artistic sense in hopes of pursuing it later is bull****. If someone feels so strongly about "their art" it seems a little hollow to me that they would willingly give up on it even for a second. If he always wanted to be a "bluesman" or whatever, that's what he should have done in the beginning instead of whoring himself out to make songs that belong on Disney Channel soundtracks.
Sorry but from everything you say you prove more and more that you've never really listened to anything John Mayer did past that dopey tune. Which I agree is completely
insipid. But there has been more than one songwriter whose work has been really good, and they've written something really dumb, McCartney immediately comes to mind.
I'm 53 years old, I've been playing since I was 9, I'm pretty sure I know good playing and good writing, it's your loss that you don't get this guy.
Old 13th February 2009
  #147
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
SWEEPING SUCKS....These GODS that paly so fast have no soul or feeling..but tjmo!!!!
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #148
Lives for gear
 
johnnyjellybean's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwerkn ➡️
much like a gentleman bagpipe player who choses not too, i like my guitar heroes able to shred, but instead go and play something unique, meaningful and melodic.



He has an API and records to 16 track 2".

He also has a Neve.

Another vote for Guthrie Govan... strange character but an AWESOME player
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #149
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab ➡️
Sorry but from everything you say you prove more and more that you've never really listened to anything John Mayer did past that dopey tune. Which I agree is completely
insipid. But there has been more than one songwriter whose work has been really good, and they've written something really dumb, McCartney immediately comes to mind.
I'm 53 years old, I've been playing since I was 9, I'm pretty sure I know good playing and good writing, it's your loss that you don't get this guy.
If continuing to believe that I've never heard other Mayer stuff allows you to sleep at night, so be it. I know otherwise. Maybe, just maybe I have actually heard the stuff and simply just don't like it. But if you insist....

Waitin on the World to change....... sucks
Why Georgia.......... sucks
Gravity............ sucks

Should I go on?

I simply just don't like ****** soft rock or coffeeshop blues.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #150
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyG ➡️
I guess we really differ here...I love that song...and the lyrics are friggin sexy as hell ...

"Something bout the way the hair falls in your face...I love the shape you take when crawling towards the pillowcase..."

Sorry...but that calls some pretty cool images to my mind....and I have absolutely no problem with him making a panty moistening song. I cant think of many better things than spending the day in bed with my girlfriend...and he captured the spirit as well as any other song I have ever heard.
Yeah, then I guess we DO really differ.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 69 views: 13651
Avatar for Mix Master
Mix Master 3rd February 2010
replies: 48 views: 6293
Avatar for lerone
lerone 28th February 2009
replies: 120 views: 53357
Avatar for Stéphane
Stéphane 11th February 2017
replies: 3 views: 1533
Avatar for MassiveSound.Net
MassiveSound.Net 14th March 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump