Quantcast
2009 Guitar Gods? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2009 Guitar Gods?
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
  #91
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
I have really enjoyed watching what Fabrizio Leo does on the guitar. Can't say I'm totally blown away by his songs, but I think he's got some very creative licks. (But I'm usually more of a tasteful guitar playing guy)

YouTube - Fabrizio Leo - "Yeah, Vinnie", "Chat", "Metal Bragalini"

The first shred riff on that video isn't my favorite, although it's cute. The rest of the stuff I think it's awesome, and he's got more than just this of course.

By the way thanks to everyone for introducing me to some awesome guitarists I probably would never have heard!

It's really going to be difficult for great guitarists to stand out! I agree with what someone else said, you need good songs.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
  #92
Gear Addict
 
Fu Schnickens's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I think for someone to be considered a "guitar god" he/she has to have the chops (of course), the taste to write a great song, and the skill to tell the difference between showing off those chops and playing a great song.
The "god" also has to have a certain mass appeal that translates to different listeners. Players like the death/satan metal guys and other niche musicians don't have the widespread admiration that classic players all have. You can't be a god with only 10 worshippers. As for that clown several posts ago who said something like "Who cares about skill? The Clash couldn't play well and they were the best." Those guys wished they could play a bit better, but they realized that it wasn't NECESSARY. Besides, contribute something other than negativity or shut up already. Damn.

I still think Vai is the best rock guitarist ever. His bag of tricks is huge, and he can pull it all off live; shred, noise, melody, classical, bluesy. Not new, but great. No mass popularity, though. The dudes from Korn had a pretty damn original sound, and the mass popularity, too. Don't know about the shred though. Currently, no one blows me away and makes me say "I suck at guitar".
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #93
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Derek Trucks is the only name worthy of being mentioned in this thread. All these shredders, while impressive that they have that ability, are basically garbage to my ears. No sense of style or taste what so ever.

The guitar is like sex, you just can't jump on and pump it 100 mph for 3 minutes and expect anyone to be satisfied.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #94
Gear Maniac
 
days's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnicula ➡️
How about Fred Frith?

YouTube - Fred Frith & Evelyn Glennie - A Little Prayer (Glennie)

Not much shredding there.

Now, that's what it's all about. Thanks for the clip.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #95
Gear Guru
 
Musiclab's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➡️
NOT, I repeat, NOT John Mayer.

You're not allowed to be a guitar god when you write songs like "Your Body is Wonderland".

By the way, that Rolling Stone cover with John Mayer, John Frusciante, and Derek Trucks is downright disgusting. **** a bunch of that.
when you can play NEON then you can say something about John Mayer.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #96
Gear Guru
 
Musiclab's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➡️
The fact that a lot of them DO sound like "Your Body is Wonderland" is enough reason for me. Cliched lyrics and "standard fare" melodies/arrangements. So, yes, his songwriting is terrible. Perhaps you're the clueless fool for not realizing this. And yes, things that make teenage girls swoon are generally not considered to be something that an adult should also find himself experiencing the same emotions about. Just a thought.....

And no I don't generally care for the "screaming and thrashing" either.
Name one other song that sounds like your body is a wonderland. I don't think Mayer is a guitar god but he is a talented musician. from your criticism you show that you don't know anything about the guy
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #97
Lives for gear
 
headwerkn's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrey ➡️
Johnny Greenwood gets some pretty unusual sounds out of a guitar.
Here here... though Johnny's hardly a 'new' god... mind you, neither's Frusciante, it's just odd that it has only been in recent years that people have really taken notice of him. Releasing some like a dozen different projects over the last decade (Peppers, Ataxia and solo albums/EPs) probably helps though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba ➡️
Nope...
This is a reply to the person who stated this is what Derek records with.
Oh sorry... I was talking about Frusciante's 'home' studio. He also has an Ampex 8-track 1" which was used for recording Curtains. Watch the video to "The Past Recedes"... it's my idea of a house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab ➡️
when you can play NEON then you can say something about John Mayer.
Exactly. I can understand why some people might not like Mayer's music, but there's no denying he has chops and can actually write songs. Given that's better than 99.7% of the crap that charts these days, we should feel fortunate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blim ➡️
THANK YOU, KURT COBAIN.... To the posters on this thread who are wowed by finger speed: Seriously, who gives a f***?
Very true. Back in the early nighties, when I was a teenager learning guitar I thought Nirvana was the enemy... it took about 10 years to realise that it wasn't Kurt's fault at all, it was the copycats. Kurt wasn't a shredder but possessed an amazing craft for songwriting and melody that all the Nirvana wannabes completely missed, instead thinking all you needed were a few chords and scream your tonsils into a mic.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #98
kdp
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Don't give me that Vai/Mayer/Hendrix crap.This is the real deal.This guy is 64 years old and sounds better than ever.All guitar players young and old kiss his feet,and with good reason.And to answer your question,no there is no new guitar talent that comes close to this guy.YouTube - Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club 2007 - Nadia
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #99
js1
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Some damn good players in Country these days. Now, I'm not a country guy, and a lot of the factory country is pretty soulless, but there are some really hot players. Brad Paisley comes to mind - he's put out a new album ("Play") which is all about guitar, mainly instrumentals ranging from Joe Satriani territory to acoustic to chickin' pickin'. I'm not sure that anything he's doing is particularly new, but he does it all really well.

js
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #100
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Im right with you on Shawn Lane, Danny. He is the best, bar none.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #101
Here for the gear
 
Dragon's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Check out Jimmy Bruno,the album "Sleight of hand". Enough said.
Nathan Pellerin
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #102
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab ➡️
Name one other song that sounds like your body is a wonderland. I don't think Mayer is a guitar god but he is a talented musician. from your criticism you show that you don't know anything about the guy
I love how, in your defense of Mayer, the next logical step in your mind is to simply infer that I must not know anything about him. That's a well devised train of thought you have going on over there.....

As I said before, the guy CAN play. However, the songs suck and I don't listen to songs to marvel at how fast somebody can move their fingers. Big damn deal... I listen to songs to experience the whole thing. I don't care how good of a player Mayer, or Eddie Van Halen, or Eric Johnson, or whoever is. There music is boring at best and many times downright nauseating. Whether it be "Your Body is Wonderland", "Waitin' on the World to Change" or anything in between, they all totally make me ill to varying degrees.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #103
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab ➡️
when you can play NEON then you can say something about John Mayer.
That's like saying I have to own a Porsche to know that they haul ass.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #104
Gear Nut
 
rebuskyle's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➡️
I love how, in your defense of Mayer, the next logical step in your mind is to simply infer that I must not know anything about him. That's a well devised train of thought you have going on over there.....

As I said before, the guy CAN play. However, the songs suck and I don't listen to songs to marvel at how fast somebody can move their fingers. Big damn deal... I listen to songs to experience the whole thing. I don't care how good of a player Mayer, or Eddie Van Halen, or Eric Johnson, or whoever is. There music is boring at best and many times downright nauseating. Whether it be "Your Body is Wonderland", "Waitin' on the World to Change" or anything in between, they all totally make me ill to varying degrees.

And what is your "cup of tea?" Look at the whole thing with a bit more objectivity

You mentioned Mike Campbell earlier...great guitarist...but dude has been at it for friggin' ever! This thread was intended to be about newer guys....as amazing as Mike is ...not new.......

Put your Mayer bashing aside and give us a guy who is relatively "new"....not some dude that's been at it for 30+ years doing THE SAME THING (doing it well none the less....)

Have you heard any of the Mayer trio stuff with Steve Jordan and Pino Paladino?? HUGE!

YouTube - John Mayer Trio - Who Did You Think I Was
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #105
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebuskyle ➡️
And what is your "cup of tea?" Look at the whole thing with a bit more objectivity

You mentioned Mike Campbell earlier...great guitarist...but dude has been at it for friggin' ever! This thread was intended to be about newer guys....as amazing as Mike is ...not new.......

Put your Mayer bashing aside and give us a guy who is relatively "new"....not some dude that's been at it for 30+ years doing THE SAME THING (doing it well none the less....)

Have you heard any of the Mayer trio stuff with Steve Jordan and Pino Paladino?? HUGE!

YouTube - John Mayer Trio - Who Did You Think I Was
Well done...the Trio stuff is brilliant. "2009 Guitar Gods" and I get Mike Campbell? Cmon...go ahead and hate on John Mayer (why, I dont know...cuz the kid can PLAY...Berkley Grad with balls deluxe)...but gimme a compelling retort. Sheesh. Mike Batio? I sat in lessons with him in Highwood Il at the Music Gallery in 1979...he was 35 and bald THEN (nice wig, Mike). Great player...but hardly a new guitar god. Jeff Beck? Love, love, love him...but you guys gotta give the kids their props! I agree with the cat who had the cajones to call out the geezers for hating and just mentioning Mclaughlin, Vai, Page, Beck, etc. Stop yourselves...and open your ears.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #106
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➡️
I love how, in your defense of Mayer, the next logical step in your mind is to simply infer that I must not know anything about him. That's a well devised train of thought you have going on over there.....

As I said before, the guy CAN play. However, the songs suck and I don't listen to songs to marvel at how fast somebody can move their fingers. Big damn deal... I listen to songs to experience the whole thing. I don't care how good of a player Mayer, or Eddie Van Halen, or Eric Johnson, or whoever is. There music is boring at best and many times downright nauseating. Whether it be "Your Body is Wonderland", "Waitin' on the World to Change" or anything in between, they all totally make me ill to varying degrees.
Fine...many of the guys that I respect have had periods of creativity that dont dont quite click with me. This doesnt change my opinion of their chops...and that is what this discussion is about. Guitar Gods...it wasnt about Songwriting Gods or Best Album of the year...it was about new kids that can rip ala EVH, Pagey, etc. Who is making an impact? You may not like their music...but you gotta give them props. I really hated the Beatles music growing up...but I had to give Ringo and the boys their props. Neil Peart still won best rock drummer the year he put out a crappy album...so that angle doesnt pass the sniff test. It sounds like you have an axe to grind with Mayer...fine. It just makes you seem like an angry old man with a chip on your shoulder if your only argument is you think his music is LAME. I havent heard you mention one thing about his playing...next you are going to tear him down for his choice in girlfriends.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #107
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyG ➡️
Fine...many of the guys that I respect have had periods of creativity that dont dont quite click with me. This doesnt change my opinion of their chops...and that is what this discussion is about. Guitar Gods...it wasnt about Songwriting Gods or Best Album of the year...it was about new kids that can rip ala EVH, Pagey, etc. Who is making an impact? You may not like their music...but you gotta give them props. I really hated the Beatles music growing up...but I had to give Ringo and the boys their props. Neil Peart still won best rock drummer the year he put out a crappy album...so that angle doesnt pass the sniff test. It sounds like you have an axe to grind with Mayer...fine. It just makes you seem like an angry old man with a chip on your shoulder if your only argument is you think his music is LAME. I havent heard you mention one thing about his playing...next you are going to tear him down for his choice in girlfriends.
Angry old man???? I'm 29.

I don't have an axe to grind with Mayer. If people weren't annointing him as the second coming of Hendrix I really wouldn't give a **** either way. And I'll say it again for the fourth or fifth time. I never said he can't play. I just don't think he's a "Guitar God". As a matter of fact, I really dislike the whole notion of guitar gods in general. I think that the whole idea of everybody going on and on about some particular player is nonsense. What about the song? Did anybody think to mention to some of these guys that maybe they oughta write a decent song to go along with their blazing licks? Case in point. I listen to Led Zeppelin for the songs, not because of, but in spite of Jimmy Page's playing. I think Page was a great song writer and arranger.

Being a great player is one thing. However, when virtuosity becomes the focus instead of an added benefit, songs tend to take a nosedive in quality and that's when I jump ship. Hendrix was a hell of a guitar player but his songs also were great. The same can be said for Page (Plant's lyrics aside). EVH.... not so much.

The point of my original post was simply to point out the fact that Mayer is receiving undo praise, given his history. I knew that, given the amount of press he's getting, eventually someone on this thread would list him as a guitar god in 2009. I simply was saying that I would disagree with that.

The notion of guitar gods, past, present, or future is largely a bunch of nonsense in my opinion. I honestly don't care who is "making an impact" in 2009 or 1969 because the song is what matters. The only way I'd ever consider someone to be a guitar god is if they had both chops AND songwriting ability.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #108
Gear Nut
 
rebuskyle's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➡️
Angry old man???? I'm 29.

I don't have an axe to grind with Mayer. If people weren't annointing him as the second coming of Hendrix I really wouldn't give a **** either way. And I'll say it again for the fourth or fifth time. I never said he can't play. I just don't think he's a "Guitar God". As a matter of fact, I really dislike the whole notion of guitar gods in general. I think that the whole idea of everybody going on and on about some particular player is nonsense. What about the song? Did anybody think to mention to some of these guys that maybe they oughta write a decent song to go along with their blazing licks? Case in point. I listen to Led Zeppelin for the songs, not because of, but in spite of Jimmy Page's playing. I think Page was a great song writer and arranger.

Being a great player is one thing. However, when virtuosity becomes the focus instead of an added benefit, songs tend to take a nosedive in quality and that's when I jump ship. Hendrix was a hell of a guitar player but his songs also were great. The same can be said for Page (Plant's lyrics aside). EVH.... not so much.

The point of my original post was simply to point out the fact that Mayer is receiving undo praise, given his history. I knew that, given the amount of press he's getting, eventually someone on this thread would list him as a guitar god in 2009. I simply was saying that I would disagree with that.

The notion of guitar gods, past, present, or future is largely a bunch of nonsense in my opinion. I honestly don't care who is "making an impact" in 2009 or 1969 because the song is what matters. The only way I'd ever consider someone to be a guitar god is if they had both chops AND songwriting ability.
Yea...you're right....

SO when SRV rips up Marry Had a Little Lamb it's good b/c it's a GREAT song...really?.....ease up on the "haterade"

There is plenty of room for musicians to use virtuosity to turn a mediocre song into a great song b/c of his/her virtuosity.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #109
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebuskyle ➡️
Yea...you're right....

SO when SRV rips up Marry Had a Little Lamb it's good b/c it's a GREAT song...really?.....ease up on the "haterade"

There is plenty of room for musicians to use virtuosity to turn a mediocre song into a great song b/c of his/her virtuosity.
Sorry, I'm not a fan of Mary Had a Little Lamb or SRV.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #110
Lives for gear
 
Knox's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Jack White is doing some cool stuff in his low tech UN virtuosity way. I certainly wouldn't put him next to Hendrix or anyone like that with 'technique'. To me, it's weird how so many people equate how fast you play with 'Guitar God' . . . many of the greats were not about impressing with so called virtuosity and speed, but being tasteful to the needs of the song / singer. These days, for many of these 'speed' players, it seems it's all about them and their ego.

There were some greats . . . Peter Green, Mike Campbell, Curtis Mayfield, Billy Gibbons etc who played little, but it seems very few hold them as influences these days. Hendrix playing 'Little Wing' (don't forget writing it) . . . or Machine Gun blows away any shredder (to me). IMV Jeff Beck / Jimmy Page are far more important then any shredder . . . but not many new players get how special they were. Plus the shredder guys all have the same tone. It all sounds the same / looks the same. . . . . many forget the beauty of the 'tone'. Even though it may not be your thing, you can't deny when you hear Mike Campbell, you know it's him because of his tone AND in his economy of notes. He is always tasteful to the song / vocalist, with tasteful tones. Danny Gatton played fast . . but with tone and class. Of course we are all different with different 'likes'.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #111
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox ➡️
Jack White is doing some cool stuff in his low tech UN virtuosity way. I certainly wouldn't put him next to Hendrix or anyone like that with 'technique'. To me, it's weird how so many people equate how fast you play with 'Guitar God' . . . many of the greats were not about impressing with so called virtuosity and speed, but being tasteful to the needs of the song / singer. These days, for many of these 'speed' players, it seems it's all about them and their ego.

There were some greats . . . Peter Green, Mike Campbell, Curtis Mayfield, Billy Gibbons etc who played little, but it seems very few hold them as influences these days. Hendrix playing 'Little Wing' (don't forget writing it) . . . or Machine Gun blows away any shredder (to me). IMV Jeff Beck / Jimmy Page are far more important then any shredder . . . but not many new players get how special they were. Plus the shredder guys all have the same tone. It all sounds the same / looks the same. . . . . many forget the beauty of the 'tone'. Even though it may not be your thing, you can't deny when you hear Mike Campbell, you know it's him because of his tone AND in his economy of notes. He is always tasteful to the song / vocalist, with tasteful tones. Danny Gatton played fast . . but with tone and class. Of course we are all different with different 'likes'.
Exactly. This has been my point. Art before ego.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #112
Gear Maniac
 
58lespaul's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
"The guitar is like sex, you just can't jump on and pump it 100 mph for 3 minutes and expect anyone to be satisfied."

EXACTLY! I've never understood the obsession with guys that try to cram as many notes possible in a single frieken bar, thats no more impressive to me than someone that can play Guitar Hero on expert.

Its the same problem with Berklee kids here in Boston. You can spot a Berklee band A MILE AWAY. The kids get so caught up with technique and showing their mastery of theory that they end up creating pretty drab, overly complicated music that is tough to get into at a show.

That being said, the only guitar player of this generation (the 2000s) that sticks out at me with actually bringing something new to the instrument and rock music in general is Jack White. Not his work with the Raconteurs and the last White Stripes album, Icky Thump, though as I think he is now in decline but Dej Stil, White Blood Cells and Elephant are brilliant. His tone especially is downright amazing... granted he cheats a little because he doesn't have to worry about bass frequencies but still.



Edit: After reading some more posts over... question: is this about someones overall skills as a guitarist (which IMHO, does include arrangement and writing abilities as well as ability to forge a unique and attractive tone) or are we talking only technique?
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #113
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Jack White, Kim Thayil, Junior Brown, Nels Cline, Tom Morello......
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #114
Lives for gear
 
RCM - Ronan's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Heinemann ➡️
Danny, pound for pound I think my favorite guitarist walking the planet is Nels Cline.
Nels is awesome. We have done a couple projects together. Its not out yet, but I recently produced a new duet album with him and GE Stinson that is completely whacked!

To me guitar gods really are the ones that take the possibilities of the instrument in new directions For that my vote goes to Andre LaFosse.

http://www.altruistmusic.com/soundfiles/seismic.mp3


For Heavy stuff, no one can touch Tannon Penland and Pen Rollings of Loincloth

LOINCLOTH on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #115
Lives for gear
 
sonic dogg's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
The next truly 'guitar god' is going to be someone who gets all the stylistic offerings over the last 40 years. Someone who has technique and tempers it with melody and infuses it with the blues. Tone always and speed where its called for.

Theres probably some little kid sitting in his room right now reading these pages and laughing knowing already hes the one.

Someone who plays rhythm and comps like Eldon Shamblin, plays with technique like Tommy Tedesco, feels it like Jimi Hendrix, knows tone like Clapton/SRV/Gilmore, and plays with abandonment like EVH.....now theres a guitar god.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #116
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➡️
Angry old man???? I'm 29.

I don't have an axe to grind with Mayer. If people weren't annointing him as the second coming of Hendrix I really wouldn't give a **** either way. And I'll say it again for the fourth or fifth time. I never said he can't play. I just don't think he's a "Guitar God". As a matter of fact, I really dislike the whole notion of guitar gods in general. I think that the whole idea of everybody going on and on about some particular player is nonsense. What about the song? Did anybody think to mention to some of these guys that maybe they oughta write a decent song to go along with their blazing licks? Case in point. I listen to Led Zeppelin for the songs, not because of, but in spite of Jimmy Page's playing. I think Page was a great song writer and arranger.

Being a great player is one thing. However, when virtuosity becomes the focus instead of an added benefit, songs tend to take a nosedive in quality and that's when I jump ship. Hendrix was a hell of a guitar player but his songs also were great. The same can be said for Page (Plant's lyrics aside). EVH.... not so much.

The point of my original post was simply to point out the fact that Mayer is receiving undo praise, given his history. I knew that, given the amount of press he's getting, eventually someone on this thread would list him as a guitar god in 2009. I simply was saying that I would disagree with that.

The notion of guitar gods, past, present, or future is largely a bunch of nonsense in my opinion. I honestly don't care who is "making an impact" in 2009 or 1969 because the song is what matters. The only way I'd ever consider someone to be a guitar god is if they had both chops AND songwriting ability.
So you don't like his music...that is clear. Your bias speaks loudly to your closed mindedness...I mean, I dont like Santana one bit...but I gotta give Carlos his props. Same with Robert Fripp and John Mclaughlin...their music is like nails on a chalkboard for me...but those boys can play. You just want to tear him down...go ahead...but you are accomplishing the opposite by your over the top for no good reason hatred...

Now...how about answering the original poster's question. Who is a new kid guitar god? A hint: He or she should not have any recorded material from the 70s...
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #117
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyG ➡️
So you don't like his music...that is clear. Your bias speaks loudly to your closed mindedness...I mean, I dont like Santana one bit...but I gotta give Carlos his props. Same with Robert Fripp and John Mclaughlin...their music is like nails on a chalkboard for me...but those boys can play. You just want to tear him down...go ahead...but you are accomplishing the opposite by your over the top for no good reason hatred...

Now...how about answering the original poster's question. Who is a new kid guitar god? A hint: He or she should not have any recorded material from the 70s...
".....like nails on a chalkboard........but I gotta give props". What the hell kind of way is that to think? There's more to being a good guitar player than showing everybody how "skilled" you are.

Nobody is making you give props to Santana except yourself. I don't like Santana one bit so he gets no props from me. Why do you feel the need to? I guess putting taste and economy over flash and ego stroking makes me close minded huh? Give me a break.

This doesn't have anything to do with hatred. It has to do with guitarists who put the cart before the horse. As a guitarist myself, I find this type of mindset appaling. More guitarists should learn how to play with some taste.

As for your last question about the next kid guitar god..... I don't have an answer because I don't ****ing care.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #118
Gear Addict
 
Farm sounds's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic dogg ➡️
The next truly 'guitar god' is going to be someone who gets all the stylistic offerings over the last 40 years. Someone who has technique and tempers it with melody and infuses it with the blues. Tone always and speed where its called for.

Theres probably some little kid sitting in his room right now reading these pages and laughing knowing already hes the one.

Someone who plays rhythm and comps like Eldon Shamblin, plays with technique like Tommy Tedesco, feels it like Jimi Hendrix, knows tone like Clapton/SRV/Gilmore, and plays with abandonment like EVH.....now theres a guitar god.

He's in Brazil. My god....I quit.


YouTube - Insanely Amazing Guitar Solo
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #119
Lives for gear
 
666666's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I can think of three outstanding guitar players:

Carl Roa:
YouTube - Carl Roa

Dave Martone:
YouTube - Dave Martone

Guthrie Govan:
YouTube - Guthrie Govan

Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #120
Gear Nut
 
rebuskyle's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➡️
".....like nails on a chalkboard........but I gotta give props". What the hell kind of way is that to think? There's more to being a good guitar player than showing everybody how "skilled" you are.

Nobody is making you give props to Santana except yourself. I don't like Santana one bit so he gets no props from me. Why do you feel the need to? I guess putting taste and economy over flash and ego stroking makes me close minded huh? Give me a break.

This doesn't have anything to do with hatred. It has to do with guitarists who put the cart before the horse. As a guitarist myself, I find this type of mindset appaling. More guitarists should learn how to play with some taste.

As for your last question about the next kid guitar god..... I don't have an answer because I don't ****ing care.

You named some great guitarists above (Nils Cline, Kim T., Jack W....etc....) and I would wholeheartedly agree with you that these cats (aside from Morello...one trick pony) are doing some really amazing stuff. I mentioned Nils in my original response to this thread...and he's really probably one of the few shining stars that is combining tone/playing/taste/feel.

But for you to say that you have to like an artists music to respect his/her ability is just absurd and quite elite (basically like saying if I don't like your music you're s*&t!).
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 69 views: 13651
Avatar for Mix Master
Mix Master 3rd February 2010
replies: 48 views: 6293
Avatar for lerone
lerone 28th February 2009
replies: 120 views: 53357
Avatar for Stéphane
Stéphane 11th February 2017
replies: 3 views: 1533
Avatar for MassiveSound.Net
MassiveSound.Net 14th March 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump