Quantcast
2009 Guitar Gods? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2009 Guitar Gods?
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah.... shredders don't really count.
That style has been going on for nearly twenty five years now and it is still about the same.
The hyper speed sweeps and all.
It is all the same finger jiggling scales.
It is so very predictable.
You could play about anything on the middle strings as long as you end with the B/E string flourish they all use.
It is kind of like a wheelie pulling contest on bicycles.

I could never pull of the sweeps and shredder stuff very well, but I never put much time into it either.
I came from more of the Zappa/John McLuaghlin school of speed.
The harmonic content should rule over the speed.
While Shawn Lane seems to contradict that statement, let me assure you that the melodic/harmonic structures he uses are very, very sophisticated.
Listen to him play "Giant Steps" and you can hear his technique when he plays a slower tempo piece.

I just go back further and further in time for inspiration.
Jimmy Bryant for example.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Danny, pound for pound I think my favorite guitarist walking the planet is Nels Cline. He is currently with Wilco and performs as a solo artist. He came on the scene in the late 80's with an LA based band called the Geraldine Fibbers and also worked with Mike Watt for a long time. He is not "new" by any stretch of the imagine but still perhaps still somewhat under the radar. From my point of view he is the perfect combination of avant garde Thurston Moore/ Marc Ribot mixed with a rootsy Ry Cooder thing, a dollop of good old fashioned rock god in the mix as well but is also extremely well versed in straight ahead jazz. He can kind of do everything extremely well while still maintaining a distinctive voice and point of view. Also a terrifically nice guy to boot. I have worked with him a few times, a total one take wonder!

Larry
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think EVH may have been the last guy to completely change everything from the way the guitar was played to the marketing of guitars.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you like metal, then you have to check out

Between the Buried and Me - Anything off their two latest albums (esp. "Selkies" for guitar)
Protest the Hero - Anything, they only have two albums
The Human Abstract - Anything off Nocturne

Crazy guitar playing that spins every which way, and fits the song; not solo shredders much, but my favorite type of guitar to listen to; all these guys are young - really young.

But as far as jazz/fusiony stuff goes, yeah, I still listen to the "old" stuff - McLauglin, Al Di Mieola, Vital Tech Tones, etc...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Michael Romeo.

People will always compare him to Yngwie but actually they work with quite different genres, Romeo playing significantly shorter solos.

Unfortunately I can't think of any other recognizable newer guitarists. Especially metal guitarists seem indistinguishable to me, although I'm into the genre somewhat.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Bass god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Les claypool
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Heinemann ➡️
Danny, pound for pound I think my favorite guitarist walking the planet is Nels Cline. He is currently with Wilco and performs as a solo artist. He came on the scene in the late 80's with an LA based band called the Geraldine Fibbers and also worked with Mike Watt for a long time. He is not "new" by any stretch of the imagine but still perhaps still somewhat under the radar. From my point of view he is the perfect combination of avant garde Thurston Moore/ Marc Ribot mixed with a rootsy Ry Cooder thing, a dollop of good old fashioned rock god in the mix as well but is also extremely well versed in straight ahead jazz. He can kind of do everything extremely well while still maintaining a distinctive voice and point of view. Also a terrifically nice guy to boot. I have worked with him a few times, a total one take wonder!
Larry

AMEN!!!! Nils Cline is probably one of the most interesting guitarists out there today. His work on the last two Wilco albums KILLS!! Tone and playing....

I'm amazed that NO ONE has mentioned KURT ROSENWINKEL!!!!

I know he's a jazz guy, but he puts all these wanky-crappy tone-metal-shredders everyone has been mentioning in this thread to SHAME.

I like the post earlier about a "wheelie contest" in context to shredding....it's been done for 20 something years. STILL....nobody cares except the dudes at Guitar center with the "sweet mullet and nike high tops with the tounge hanging out the front....."

2 cents....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmrboy ➡️
The op asks about guitar gods, and something new.

2 posts down and you offer.. shredders..?? I got chunks of guys like these in my stool..

Wow you offer jack **** except a verbal attack.fuuck
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebuskyle ➡️
I'm amazed that NO ONE has mentioned KURT ROSENWINKEL!!!!
+1...and loving here Pat Metheny's world too.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Forgot to mention BUMBLEFOOT - amazing and unique style with sick chops. There is a ton of amazing guitar playing out there if you look. thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My favorite "new" guitar player is a guy named Nick Reinhart, from the bands Tera Melos and Bygones. He plays impossible things without them seeming overly masturbatory (for my taste, anyway...) and is both loose and precise at the same time.

I hate the guitar virtuoso crap, but I very much enjoy Nick Reinhart and find him to be as close to a "guitar virtuoso" as possible while still being like...an enjoyable musician to listen to.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Derek Trucks has to be it. He is simply amazing! Show me anyone that play John Coltrane licks in Open E Tuning fingerstyle, then switch to slide in the same song.

You can read about his studio here and it's a neve.

EM's interview with guitarist Derek Trucks
Attached Thumbnails
2009 Guitar Gods?-derek-fig.-2.jpg  
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by *iIIiCit* ➡️
Peter Wichers and Sylvain Coudret from "Soilwork"

I like the older stuff a bit more...listen to the album "A Predators Portrait"
KILLER Soli!!!
I am so stoked that Peter is back in the band. Apparently in a recent interview he said that there will be more guitar solos ala A Predators Portrait. zOMG!

Kaki King deserves another mention. She is fantastic.

The new guitarist for Opeth,
Fredrik Åkesson, is pretty good. I remember seeing him when he was filling in for Christopher Amott in Arch Enemy and thinking he was really good. Fred's solos on the new Opeth album are great.

The Amott Brothers (Michael & Christopher) from Arch Enemy are also really high on my list. Those two can shred and play some wicked melodies.

Per Nilsson from Scar Symmetry is also one of my favorites. Great all around playing.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blim ➡️
THANK YOU, KURT COBAIN.

No one who is even remotely connected to the zeitgeist gives a crap about guitar virtuosity. The pointless, soulless, and bloated ******y made famous by some of the names thrown around in this thread was rendered irrelevant by the Clash and every even remotely meaningful band since then. (This may be news, however, to all of those D&D-addicted community college dropouts working the weekend shift at Guitar Center). Hendrix, Fahey, Clapton, and a handful of others had something new and interesting to say decades ago, but the world has moved on (and forward). The last soloing guitarist of any interest to me was Tom Verlaine. That was more than thirty years ago.

To the posters on this thread who are wowed by finger speed: Seriously, who gives a f***?
couldn't agree more. in my humble opinion there is nothing pleasurable about listening to some technically proficient D bag whack off for 4 minutes. I'm digging what Jack White is doing these days. the fast ****** thing has been done to death. but if you're gonna get a bit technical give me Derek Trucks and the like. Guys who actually have something I can feel, not just trying to cram as many notes as possible into a bar of music
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumblefoot ➡️
Wow you offer jack **** except a verbal attack.fuuck
Yeah, sorry. I just lash out these days. I should take a look at that. Maybe I need a meeting.

I'm a drummer & I can shred on guitar. But I don't play that way anymore. It doesn't move me. Whenever I would play on a tune, I wouldn't shred cause it never seemed to fit. Maybe a run here or there, but who really wants to hear blazing guitar besides another guitar player..??

Let me put it this way.. I always thought IJM was a really good guitar player, but appreciated him more once I heard him play a blues riff and slowly bend a note.. heh

Melody & feel, baby..
It's a much tougher thing to do, and eaiser on the ears. It just seems to mean something to me.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
One more vote for Nels Cline, who plays with great intelligence and taste, and understands something that all those speed-idiots can't: A guitarist serves the song, not the other way around.

Part of what made Page, Hendrix, and Clapton great (and makes Cline great) is that they had/have great songs.

Also, sometimes leaving something out is more importanbt than cramming something in. Play only what you need to, not what you can.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
This band is crazy good. Everyone of them is a "god" of their instrument.
I'd be very surprised if you've heard anything like this before...ever...Gypsy Jazz rock Plotz!

PLOTZ! - Gypsy Jazz Rock check out Humbaba's Head, Cerberus and Clark the Shark

They all can shred, but they also write very interesting and catchy tunes.

The guitarist, Jake Vossler, is so good it kills me.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Johnny Greenwood gets some pretty unusual sounds out of a guitar.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshizon ➡️
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup agree 100% big thumbs for Matt. Cant wait for the new album
Don't forget Bellamy is also an amazing piano player and has the best voice in rock today.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In Regards to John Mayer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➡️
And when you couple that with his song writing which is terrible for the most part, I just don't get it at all.
Yeah...

What I just don't understand is why people think John Mayer's song writing is just soooo awful...b/c teenage girls like it maybe??? So what...

I'm happy to hear songs with great melodies, complex chords and progressions, feeling, all around great musicianship, well put together, and some cool guitar playing. Nowdays, all you hear is either rap music that is all programmed or loud freaking rock in which the entire song consists of power chords and some squeeling guitar licks, while some dude screams about his heart bleeding into his stomach or how much he hates you.

I think John Mayer is a breath of fresh air when it comes to songwriting as well as guitar playing. Some actual feeling in his music...rather than screaming and thrashing...jeez.

I understand if people aren't into Mayers music. But please don't say his songwriting is terrible...it just makes you seem like a clueless fool (unless you can come up with some valid points that back it up...which does not include teenage girls like his music)...not all his songs sound like You're Body is a Wonderland.

Peace
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➡️
NOT, I repeat, NOT John Mayer.

You're not allowed to be a guitar god when you write songs like "Your Body is Wonderland".

By the way, that Rolling Stone cover with John Mayer, John Frusciante, and Derek Trucks is downright disgusting. **** a bunch of that.
Based on this logic, I assume that you are disqualifying Clapton for "Wonderful Tonight", Nuno for "More than Words", EVH for "When Its Love" or "How do I know when its love", Vai for "Thats life" or "Just like Paradise"...the list goes on. Stop yourself...

John Mayer can RIP...he chooses to make music that appeals to a broader market (THE CHICKS). I respect that...and I really like him as an artist. You can go listen to your musician **** stuff...the kind of music that ONLY musicians listen to because it is over the heads of everyone else (BECAUSE IT HAS NO MELODY LINE...IT IS LIKE LISTENING TO A COMPUTER SPIT OUT ONES AND ZEROES). I think most musician ****s get a perverse sense of satisfaction in that other people DONT GET IT...but just because John Mayer plays to a broader market doesnt mean that he cant shred....cuz he can.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
But is shredding what makes a great guitarist? If anything, I'd consider that spitting out 1s and 0s.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No what's really boring? The same thread on just about every music-related message board - a bunch of 40+ guys complaining that they just don't make music like they used to and nothing is inspiring anymore. Give it a rest, dudes!

As we get older, our ideal of "good music" often gets locked in suspended animation - basically, whatever we were into up until our late 20's - after that, it become more difficult to get into new music. If you listen to music voraciously, of course you are going to start thinking that you have heard it all before and that nobody is doing anything new...true innovation isn't all that common in music. I am sure there were folks in the 60's and 70's who thought that Hendrix, Page and Clapton were just ripoffs of old bluesmen, hiding behind fancy new effect pedals and studio trickery.

Anyway, I am in my late 30's, been playing guitar most of my life now...sure, I prefer the classic rock guys, because that's what I was raised on, but I recognize that there are fantastic, unique-sounding guitarists in every generation.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity ➡️
I gotta respectfully disagree. Sure his top 40 stuff is what it is... But his cover of "No Woman No Cry" entirely on guitar convinced me that the man can play, and play circles around most of us.

Even some of his well known album stuff has some serious playing on it. Maybe not typical guitar "God" stuff, but Neon is a damn hard song to play properly.

Think what you like about the man's singles, he's got chops for sure.
I'm not saying that he doesn't have chops. I'm simply saying that his song writing is terrible and I'll take somebody like Mike Campbell anyday of the week over John Mayer.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu ➡️
No what's really boring? The same thread on just about every music-related message board - a bunch of 40+ guys complaining that they just don't make music like they used to and nothing is inspiring anymore. Give it a rest, dudes!

As we get older, our ideal of "good music" often gets locked in suspended animation - basically, whatever we were into up until our late 20's - after that, it become more difficult to get into new music. If you listen to music voraciously, of course you are going to start thinking that you have heard it all before and that nobody is doing anything new...true innovation isn't all that common in music. I am sure there were folks in the 60's and 70's who thought that Hendrix, Page and Clapton were just ripoffs of old bluesmen, hiding behind fancy new effect pedals and studio trickery.

Anyway, I am in my late 30's, been playing guitar most of my life now...sure, I prefer the classic rock guys, because that's what I was raised on, but I recognize that there are fantastic, unique-sounding guitarists in every generation.
Well said. I myself am really tired of hearing that the only guitar gods of our time played in the 1950s-80s (or whatever YOUR golden years were). And that every band that played in the old days rocked way harder than anything today.

Music magazines everywhere say stuff about every artist there is all the time, and like you yourself found out, it doesnt necesesarily have to be true, but another hype.

IMHO, to become a rockstar back then, in most cases, you had to be exceptional. More use of talent scouts and focus on real instruments and live performance, and little to none of the home studios and digital instruments/processing equipment we have today.

Still, that does not say theres not a guitar player in the world today that could not compete with the oldies. Maybe his music cant , but thats about it.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by $uper$tar ➡️
In Regards to John Mayer:

Yeah...

What I just don't understand is why people think John Mayer's song writing is just soooo awful...b/c teenage girls like it maybe??? So what...

I'm happy to hear songs with great melodies, complex chords and progressions, feeling, all around great musicianship, well put together, and some cool guitar playing. Nowdays, all you hear is either rap music that is all programmed or loud freaking rock in which the entire song consists of power chords and some squeeling guitar licks, while some dude screams about his heart bleeding into his stomach or how much he hates you.

I think John Mayer is a breath of fresh air when it comes to songwriting as well as guitar playing. Some actual feeling in his music...rather than screaming and thrashing...jeez.

I understand if people aren't into Mayers music. But please don't say his songwriting is terrible...it just makes you seem like a clueless fool (unless you can come up with some valid points that back it up...which does not include teenage girls like his music)...not all his songs sound like You're Body is a Wonderland.

Peace
The fact that a lot of them DO sound like "Your Body is Wonderland" is enough reason for me. Cliched lyrics and "standard fare" melodies/arrangements. So, yes, his songwriting is terrible. Perhaps you're the clueless fool for not realizing this. And yes, things that make teenage girls swoon are generally not considered to be something that an adult should also find himself experiencing the same emotions about. Just a thought.....

And no I don't generally care for the "screaming and thrashing" either.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Michael Angelo Batio...look up his videos where he is playing his double guitar....sick...one guitar is simply boring to him because it is too easy

Eric Johnson...the most tasteful incredible playing in the history of electric guitar
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyG ➡️
Based on this logic, I assume that you are disqualifying Clapton for "Wonderful Tonight", Nuno for "More than Words", EVH for "When Its Love" or "How do I know when its love", Vai for "Thats life" or "Just like Paradise"
In one word..... YES

I can't stand any of those songs. I also never said that Mayer can't play. He can, although it's not really all that special or unique.

And at the end of the day you still have to listen to those ****ty songs of his. Songwriting trumps guitar hero ******y and virtuoistic self masturbation any day of the week. Some of you guys are so fixated on the fancy paintjob that you've totally missed the fact that the car has no engine.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
How about Thomas Blug, voted Strat King of Europe or something ridiculous like that. I thought there was some good playing here, varied and well done.

YouTube - Thomas Blug - Strat King

Then again, I always liked Michael Gurley of dada....
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Jake Cinninger & Brendan Bayliss of Umphrey's McGee
📝 Reply