Quantcast
2009 Guitar Gods? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2009 Guitar Gods?
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by enditol ➡️
Guthrie is a total master. Another pretty unique player in the 'shred' vein is Mattias IA Eklundh - amazing melodies played with tapped harmonics.
Mattias IA Eklundh thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had to think back aways, the last true guitar god I can remember was a Country player, Brad Paisley around 2002. A god in the Albert Lee, Roy Clark, Chet Atkins tradition.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➡️
NOT, I repeat, NOT John Mayer.

You're not allowed to be a guitar god when you write songs like "Your Body is Wonderland".

By the way, that Rolling Stone cover with John Mayer, John Frusciante, and Derek Trucks is downright disgusting. **** a bunch of that.
I gotta respectfully disagree. Sure his top 40 stuff is what it is... But his cover of "No Woman No Cry" entirely on guitar convinced me that the man can play, and play circles around most of us.

Even some of his well known album stuff has some serious playing on it. Maybe not typical guitar "God" stuff, but Neon is a damn hard song to play properly.

Think what you like about the man's singles, he's got chops for sure.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by A LaMere ➡️
Guys that exemplify this are guys like Mark Knopfler and Mike Campbell of the Heartbreakers for me...

Second this. I've had the privilege of hearing knopfler live twice, (front row once) and the man is an idol of mine. He does things with his guitar that make me want to cut my fingers off.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I honestly believe that, besides a handful of players that are around today, Nirvana killed the "amazing guitar player". I can't think of a single newer player these days that can blow my mind like a Hendrix, Beck or Gilmour.

People say Satriani, Vai and Eric Johnson etc. Man, those guys are OLD. They're only like 10-15 years younger than the players that I've mentioned above (40's and 50's is not new and up and coming). The guys above were good in their 20's. There are not a lot of 20-something guitar virtuoso's out there inking major label releases. I can think of some great young guitar players, but not any GODS.

I hear shredders, blues guys and jazz players that land in Guitar Center every Saturday that are literally 10X better than what's being signed and released. Maybe the talented guitar player truly is dead (in the mainstream).
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Muhammed Suiçmez.

YouTube - NECROPHAGIST - solos

Obviously influenced by Malmsteen, he is flawless live. In fact, I have yet to find a video on youtube where he ****s up.

I met him when the summer slaughter tour was here. I have been practicing guitar ever since. I swear some of that magic was passed onto me!

Interesting background as well.

Muhammed Suiçmez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumblefoot ➡️
Take a look if you haven't already at Jeff Loomis of "Nevermore" maybe not the originality you are looking for but he has some tasty speed.

Loomis is the blonde

YouTube - Nevermore: Chris Broderick & Jeff Loomis Guitar Solo Duel
The op asks about guitar gods, and something new.

2 posts down and you offer.. shredders..?? I got chunks of guys like these in my stool..

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Check out Dimitar Nalbantov. He's an independent guitarist who produces and releases his own albums from his home in Bulgaria, releases his CDs on CDBaby and iTunes. His site is here, and his custom Ibanez is one of the most tasteful custom jobs I've ever seen. I dig his playing, I don't know if I'd call it breaking new ground but he has a pretty fresh sound for a virtuoso, and I like the way he gets his tones.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
For me it's always been James Dean Bradfield of Manic Street Preachers. I reckon no-one outside the UK would agree but the lad is bloody brilliant.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric ➡️
I honestly believe that, besides a handful of players that are around today, Nirvana killed the "amazing guitar player".
THANK YOU, KURT COBAIN.

No one who is even remotely connected to the zeitgeist gives a crap about guitar virtuosity. The pointless, soulless, and bloated ******y made famous by some of the names thrown around in this thread was rendered irrelevant by the Clash and every even remotely meaningful band since then. (This may be news, however, to all of those D&D-addicted community college dropouts working the weekend shift at Guitar Center). Hendrix, Fahey, Clapton, and a handful of others had something new and interesting to say decades ago, but the world has moved on (and forward). The last soloing guitarist of any interest to me was Tom Verlaine. That was more than thirty years ago.

To the posters on this thread who are wowed by finger speed: Seriously, who gives a f***?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by A LaMere ➡️
There's nothing new...

If we're gonna name a new guitar "God" that person needs to have an unique and original 'voice'... they don't necessarily have to re-invent the instrument in my opinion.

...but they need to be able to translate their souls through their fingers and that fretboard... There aren't a lot of those types out there.

It isn't about speed, or sloppy, or clean...
it's about voicing, phrasing, and choices.

Guys that exemplify this are guys like Mark Knopfler and Mike Campbell of the Heartbreakers for me...
I identified with this comment more than any other in the thread. It mostly seemed like a bunch of old guys with the classic, "In my day..." (Dana Carvey 's cranky old man impression.)

I'm a guitarist and I feel like the technical rock guitarist reached its peak with EVH. I never cared for Vai, Johnson or Satriani. They're great but the never moved me or took it beyond Eddie and their bands and tunes never touched VH. That's part of the problem- Page, Eddie, Campbell, Gilmour and others were in great bands and to me that makes the guitarist that much better. I'd rather listen to the Edge any day over Satriani because what Edge does is so much more interesting within the big picture of the song. If you muted the guitar on a Satriani song you'd wanna put a gun to your head, right?

The reason that Jack White is one of the best we have these days is that he takes some Jimmy Page, some Hendrix and strips it down to the rawest elements. Not for everyone but he certainly had no problem sounding fresh and new coming out of the Limp Bizkit/Korn era of Nu Metal.

My two cents, my favorites of the last 20 years are Bill Frisell, Joey Santiago, Mike Campbell and The Edge. The guy from Incubus seems pretty good, although I never loved the band. Based on live clips I've seen, I always thought that Muse was playing to a million pro tools tracks- am I wrong?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blim ➡️
THANK YOU, KURT COBAIN.

No one who is even remotely connected to the zeitgeist gives a crap about guitar virtuosity. The pointless, soulless, and bloated ******y made famous by some of the names thrown around in this thread was rendered irrelevant by the Clash and every even remotely meaningful band since then. (This may be news, however, to all of those D&D-addicted community college dropouts working the weekend shift at Guitar Center). Hendrix, Fahey, Clapton, and a handful of others had something new and interesting to say decades ago, but the world has moved on (and forward). The last soloing guitarist of any interest to me was Tom Verlaine. That was more than thirty years ago.

To the posters on this thread who are wowed by finger speed: Seriously, who gives a f***?
So cranky and yet the word is "subjective," say it with me... For all your bluster, you're not the arbiter of what is in the final analysis good, progress, etc.; there is no final analysis
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Kaki King is the only new guitarist that's blown me away in the last 5 years. I'm an old-school Trey Spruance worshipper from way back. Godlike. Saw 2 gods share a stage a couple of years back - Larry Carlton with Robben Ford as his rhythm player. Sheeeeeeetttttt.......
And I'll have to give Ralph Santolla props. That guy routinely put away close to 3 bottles of Jager a day when we were on tour and somehow, while he was onstage starting his third bottle, he reached a playing pinnacle. Absobloodylutely ridiculous.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There are a lot of voices...

Chet Atkins, Marc Knopfler.... in my mind, Slash did it with his work in the early GNR stuff... I'm not a huge fan... but that stuff SPEAKS. It's still the sports soundtrack of choice all over television constantly.

It certainly isn't about whether or not you can shred, or not shred in my opinion...
Although... a shredder can certainly make the list if he in fact has an original voice.

Didn't Coldplay recently steal a Satriani song for one of the big hits on their newest album?? Just a thought...

The funny thing about "guitar gods" in my mind is that they don't usually have to try that hard to be an actual 'guitar guy'. They just are...
And usually, we all know it too.

Ever seen "The making of Dark side of the Moon" where Gilmore just kind of casually plays through songs from Dark Side??

He's wearing slacks and a sweater... and still just has a voice and soul and sound that is absolutely undeniable... and brilliant in my opinion.

Hmmm...
This guitar has made me want to get out the axe and groove a bit.
Nice.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Well, this guy is still sick to me: Scott Henderson

YouTube - TRIBAL TECH - FACE FIRST
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blim ➡️
THANK YOU, KURT COBAIN.

I wasn't talking about Yngwie. I actually think it's sad that many guitar players are too lazy to learn their instrument. Most guitar player now just know the 5 chord. Without sounding pretentious, I would like to state that I think it's important to progress at an instrument.

Recording actually made me a better guitar player because I can hear all my mistakes. I'm pushing myself to learn new things. It's great if an artist has something to say, but if they can't play it, there's kind of a drop off in the message. Ya know?
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreed ➡️
So cranky and yet the word is "subjective," say it with me... For all your bluster, you're not the arbiter of what is in the final analysis good, progress, etc.; there is no final analysis
+1
As cyko myko said in You Can't Bring Me Down -

Just cause you don't understand what's going on
don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it,
don't mean it ain't no good

I have to say though, that technique for nothing but technique's sake can get pretty dull, pretty fast. I have little interest in watching people play blindingly fast sweep picking riffs primarily to show off. However, put in the context of a strong song, salt with a prodigious sense of humor (like Satriani) and an idiosyncratic guiding musical genius (again, like Satriani) and the technique becomes secondary.

Dimitar Nalbontav is doing some good stuff. Thanks Agreed!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLueROom ➡️
Dang, I'm the first guy to mention Guthrie Govan?!

dude is stupid good and really clean. Saw him live at a Cornford Amps thing awhile back... ridiculous. And he has a good ear for melody.

YouTube - Contemporary Jamtracks promo
Guthrie Govan is incredible. Tasteful yet, mindboggling at the same time. I just watched the vid on youtube of him and Bumblefoot playing the theme to Benny hill at Namm. Very cool.

There seems to be two schools of thought here in this thread. Some guys say you have to play fast with flash, and others say no, it's about the song and the feel.

I say if you can put them together, you will have something.

I think Chinese democracy may be a recent example. Axl got some serious players in Bucket and Bumble. Axl had the songs.
It's all subjective whether you dig it or not, but it's the most recent album I could think of. Sometimes a guitar virtuoso needs to be reigned in a little to avoid overplaying on a track. Too much hot sauce will ruin any taco so to speak.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm sounds ➡️
Guthrie Govan is incredible. Tasteful yet, mindboggling at the same time. I just watched the vid on youtube of him and Bumblefoot playing the theme to Benny hill at Namm. Very cool.

There seems to be two schools of thought here in this thread. Some guys say you have to play fast with flash, and others say no, it's about the song and the feel.

I say if you can put them together, you will have something.

I think Chinese democracy may be a recent example. Axl got some serious players in Bucket and Bumble. Axl had the songs.
It's all subjective whether you dig it or not, but it's the most recent album I could think of. Sometimes a guitar virtuoso needs to be reigned in a little to avoid overplaying on a track. Too much hot sauce will ruin any taco so to speak.
Contrast is the soul of art. I think most virtuosos realize this, though there are clearly some who don't. Of course we all think of Malmsteen when someone mentions tasteless shredding, but there are plenty of truly virtuosic guitarists who perform very well and tastefully in a band setting but lose the all-important contrast on their solo efforts. John Petrucci's work with Dream Theater and Liquid Tension Experiment is fantastic (well, he's falling down a bit lately, repeating himself, but he's still a monster player), but his solo album was a little bit disappointing and lacked the dynamics and intensity of his DT/LTE work. Jeff Loomis as the guitarist of Nevermore, counterbalanced by Smyth's very different soloing style and given context by the songwriting capabilities of the band, is a tasteful shredder with great melodic sensibilities. But his solo effort loses some of that spark. When the guitar becomes the only voice on the album, it has to sing with all of the nuances of a real voice. It is no longer a part of the mix, it is part and parcel the mix. Satriani's/Eric Johnson's/Steve Vai's talent is that mastery of using the guitar as an expressive medium like the voice rather than a perfectly designed accompaniment to it. A lot of shredders who are fantastic and vital in the context of their bands lose a lot of their vibrancy when the guitar is center stage all the time.

I will say that Petrucci is less offensive about it than Loomis; Petrucci is clearly a gifted composer in the modern metal style, and that comes through in his solo stuff as well, but there's a sort of "been there, done that" feeling to it that really just makes me want to listen to his best work with Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, and even the Rudess Experiment instead to better appreciate the interplay between his playing and the artful context that makes sense of it all. Loomis, on the other hand, seems to be borrowing from an established idiom of neoclassical shred for his solo work which unfairly marks him as a derivative player, when in fact he's very creative and has contributed some neat stuff to the metal guitar lexicon in the context of Nevermore.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreed ➡️
Check out Dimitar Nalbantov. He's an independent guitarist who produces and releases his own albums from his home in Bulgaria, releases his CDs on CDBaby and iTunes. His site is here, and his custom Ibanez is one of the most tasteful custom jobs I've ever seen. I dig his playing, I don't know if I'd call it breaking new ground but he has a pretty fresh sound for a virtuoso, and I like the way he gets his tones.
There are a lot of good guitar players from Eastern Europe who fuse folkoric styles with their shred ......

Here is a few .......

Muris Varajic

YouTube - Muris Varajic - Final Dance , Guitar Idol 2009 Entry.

YouTube - Muris Varajic Mojo Oro...Boost

Dragianni...

YouTube - Dragianni - Flying Potato Blues (Guitar Idol 2009 Entry)

Damjan Pejcinoski ....... more jazz fusion vain ......

YouTube - Greg Howe play for me 2 - Damjan Pejcinoski

Country ....

YouTube - Damjan Pejcinoski- J.Hiland style track

Another +1 on Guthrie Govan , he is truly amazing ......
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
gods seem to be ancient and immortal so no new ones in 2009 to report I think :D

In my church the following deity are worshiped for their approach to guitar and music.
-Chester Burnett aka Howlin' wolf
-Bo Diddley
-Jimi Hendrix
-Frank Zappa
-Django Reinhardt
-John Mclaughlin (when he played with Miles :D)
-Baden Powell

And anybody who plays a mean bit of classical or has been playing something ethnic or regional all of his life is to be appreciated as well.

the gods are not the ones putting out endless of learn how to play like me video's.
Anybody catched those spoofs on Youtube about Malmsteen & Petrucci & the likes?? heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
GOOD CALL on Joe Bonamassa

and yes, that 'dueling' video was awful. maybe i'm getting 'old' (just about to turn 26, my brother who is 10 years older than me got me into guitar at an early age), but i just want them to a) shut the **** up, but failing that b) try that **** with the distortion channel OFF. pull it off on the clean channel and i'll buy you a beer no problems.

jesus, just get a nice valve amp and turn it up so it breaks up. what's this white noise **** all about?

anyway, i'm happy that one of my fave bands 'extreme' (i hear you hissing back there) are back together - got to see nuno bettencourt rocking again. a player that can give us guitar heads something to rub our thighs about, and then also serve the song 100% too... a genius

joe satriani's album had some nice moments in it, but overall was a let down - the lead song 'i just wanna rock' was so bad it wasn't funny... there were some decent tracks on here though, but nothing as good as some of the old stuff. he'd be hard pressed to beat 'the extremist'. and production wise, it all sounded very project studio-y to me.

who else.... oh yeah, no one..

i've been told about pettrucci, but every time i look at dream theatre stuff it all looks like a load of wanky soloing, however i'm talking mainly out of ignorance here to be fair... oh and the keyboard player's stuff on youtube made me hurl

i can't think of anyone else - but these days i'm more into the 'music' than worrying about guitar god/soloing proficiency... i dunno

edit: i just realised i didn't really mention anyone that was actually new... oh well. let's all just become mix engineers and pretend that's what we wanted to do in the first place?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric ➡️
I hear shredders, blues guys and jazz players that land in Guitar Center every Saturday that are literally 10X better than what's being signed and released. Maybe the talented guitar player truly is dead (in the mainstream).
i agree... these days you gotta be a DJ to get the chicks! heh

i blame nirvana/grunge for all this....

*ducks*
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
John Maclaughlin is the only one I can see constantly (since 30 years) on top of the hill: Sound, Technique, Innovation, Crosscultural.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreeek ➡️
thumbsupthumbsup for Suicmez. My vote goes to John 5 currently:

YouTube - John 5 - The Washing Away of Wrong

Original and impeccable technique.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yup, nobody breaking any amazing new ground in a long long time.

When VH came out it was the last time I heard something and thought, holy sh*t, that's amazing!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Paul Gilbert came on stage at Leeds Rio's in Yorkshire.

He walked up to the mic in front of 500 expectant fans.

The lights came up and he shouts into the mic:

"Hey oop!"

What a guy, and equally in love with shredding, to thrashing at an open G chord. A true gentleman and my all time favourite.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwerkn ➡️
He has an API and records to 16 track 2".
Nope...
This is a reply to the person who stated this is what Derek records with.
He now has the Neve 8048 that was originally located in Ray Davie's KONK Studios in London.

I read about it in both the American Airlines magazine I thumb through each weekend while flying here or there and also in the "catalog" that Sonic Circus just sent me.
Sonic Circus restored and commissioned the console.
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Peter Wichers and Sylvain Coudret from "Soilwork"

I like the older stuff a bit more...listen to the album "A Predators Portrait"
KILLER Soli!!!
📝 Reply