Quantcast
Mojave vs AKG - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mojave vs AKG
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Mojave vs AKG

Im looking at a Mojave MA-200 mic or the AKG C 414 B-XL II. I want it to be a good overall mic, but mostly it would be used for vocals. Anyone tried and compared these two? If it matters it will go through a SSL xrack pre.

Any input would be appreciated!
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old thread, I know... but...

I just shot out the Mojave 201fet vs the 414 which I think is a more accurate comparison. The 200 is a tube mic. FWIW, the 201 was a little fuller and punchier. There was a definite difference on the better side of the Mojave. I was sold! Haha.

The MA200 is still a great mic though! I know I could use 200s or 201s and get a great sound. I just tend to do more modern rock type stuff and favor the fets.

The 414 is still a great all around mic though. I would still use it on overheads. I think with a little EQ, they would be very close. The Mojave did just have a pleasing feel to it though.

And one more step... I've really like the 201fet through the Daking 500 pre. It just does something great to the signal. I should have a pair of both very soon... Yay.

Hope this helps.

JROD
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
The 414 can be very harsh on some singers and great on others. With the right pre though, you can make it work on just about anything. The MA-200 is great too, for vocals.
The cool thing about the 414 is all the patterns. A 414 on figure 8 is pretty beefy.
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mojave has selectable patterns on the MA301 and MA300. Go figure! Haha. You can really use that figure 8 to boost the prox effect.
Old 8th February 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Mojave MA-200 is good microphone.
Warm and open sound, and is more suitable for vocals.
Old 8th February 2012
member no 666

🎧 15 years
I just used a Mojave 200 on a jazz guitar recording... it did the job remarkably well!! ...much better than any 414 [built after about 1979 - 1980] could possibly have done the job.

Peace
Old 9th February 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mojave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher ➑️
I just used a Mojave 200 on a jazz guitar recording... it did the job remarkably well!! ...much better than any 414 [built after about 1979 - 1980] could possibly have done the job.

Peace
I believe the J in jazz is a silent J. Yazz flute.

JROD
Old 9th February 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
BTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher ➑️

Peace
BTW, Fletcher, per your recommendation last week about using the ribbons in a low ceiling room as overheads... I just could not get the R101s to work. I put them a couple feet 4-5 in front of the kit and still couldn't get a decent sound. I tried multiple positions. Have you used the R101s at all?

JROD
Old 15th February 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Sorry to butt in, but I have a question very similar to the OP's, so I didn't want to start a separate thread.

Which of those two mics would you guys prefer for tracking guitars? I don't have a condenser mic yet, and these are two top contenders for me also.

From what I can tell (and I base what I say only on reviews/impressions based on what I've been able to gather, etc.) the tube mics seem to be used much more for vocals, while the fet versions are used more for instruments. Is that more or less accurate?

The new Mojave 300 fet also looks very interesting (to me anyway). Anyone have any experience with it yet?

Jeff
Old 15th February 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9900 ➑️
Old thread, I know... but...

I just shot out the Mojave 201fet vs the 414 which I think is a more accurate comparison. The 200 is a tube mic. FWIW, the 201 was a little fuller and punchier. There was a definite difference on the better side of the Mojave. I was sold! Haha.

The MA200 is still a great mic though! I know I could use 200s or 201s and get a great sound. I just tend to do more modern rock type stuff and favor the fets.

The 414 is still a great all around mic though. I would still use it on overheads. I think with a little EQ, they would be very close. The Mojave did just have a pleasing feel to it though.

And one more step... I've really like the 201fet through the Daking 500 pre. It just does something great to the signal. I should have a pair of both very soon... Yay.

Hope this helps.

JROD
I have had a lot of success with the 201 FET on rap vocals. 200 on smoother, larger than life stuff.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSimpkins ➑️
The 414 can be very harsh on some singers and great on others. With the right pre though, you can make it work on just about anything. The MA-200 is great too, for vocals.
The cool thing about the 414 is all the patterns. A 414 on figure 8 is pretty beefy.
Never really had a ton of success with the 414 or any permutation of 'em on vocals. Very, very underwhelmed. It IS one larger diaphragm that I have enjoyed on acoustic guitars.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mojave vs AKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcshirke ➑️
Sorry to butt in, but I have a question very similar to the OP's, so I didn't want to start a separate thread.

Which of those two mics would you guys prefer for tracking guitars? I don't have a condenser mic yet, and these are two top contenders for me also.

From what I can tell (and I base what I say only on reviews/impressions based on what I've been able to gather, etc.) the tube mics seem to be used much more for vocals, while the fet versions are used more for instruments. Is that more or less accurate?

The new Mojave 300 fet also looks very interesting (to me anyway). Anyone have any experience with it yet?

Jeff
Jeff,

Both AKG 414s and the Mojave 201 are great mics. The 414 has been used for overheads, rooms, guitars, and more on thousands of albums. However, after shooting the 2 out on drum OHs, I was really blown away at the difference in the punch and fullness of the 201s when compared to the 414. It gave you that modern drum sound right from the getgo. I wouldn't throw out the 414s by any means, but I definitely say the advantage goes to the Mojave 201.

For guitars, I have used both with great results. However, I have never A/B'd them. But after hearing the difference with OHs, I would have to believe the translations to guitar would be similar and the fullness of the Mojave would be audible. I'm probably gonna go 201.

Vocals, no doubt the 201. I've used it with great results on a bunch of different singers. I've never had the success I wanted with a 414 on lead vox. It never made me go wow, that sounds great.

I probably wouldn't go with tube on instruments for most of the stuff I do. But that's just personal preference. If I had a MA200, I definitely would use it on vox a lot I'm sure. Hope this helps at least a little.

My Sweetwater rep tried to talk me into a 3 series Mojave recently. It is supposed to be just selectable patterns, but I can't see how that would affect the voicing at least a little. I love my 201s way too much to try the 3s.

YMMV

JROD
Old 27th October 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Pretty much sold on the three series, I should have bought one a long time ago
Old 27th October 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a pair of MA-200 mics and a single MA-201. I really like the 200s on stereo overheads, acoustic guitar, upright bass and on guitars. To clarify, normally I will use them slightly off axis and back a little on a clean, smaller guitar amp ('49 TV Front Deluxe, '55 Deluxe, '57 Rickenbacker M-8, etc...). I find they're really nice at capturing a pretty good sounding guitar.

The MA-201 works great for a more modern sound on acoustic guitar or more present vocals. They're both great mics.

As for the 414, I have never been a huge fan for the type of things I do, but they're a great mic as well.

I can tell you customer support at Mojave is really, really good. I had someone steal a cable and part of a shockmount and they sent me everything really cheap and really quick and have been really helpful.
Old 27th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 ➑️
I have a pair of MA-200 mics and a single MA-201. I really like the 200s on stereo overheads, acoustic guitar, upright bass and on guitars. To clarify, normally I will use them slightly off axis and back a little on a clean, smaller guitar amp ('49 TV Front Deluxe, '55 Deluxe, '57 Rickenbacker M-8, etc...). I find they're really nice at capturing a pretty good sounding guitar.

The MA-201 works great for a more modern sound on acoustic guitar or more present vocals. They're both great mics.

As for the 414, I have never been a huge fan for the type of things I do, but they're a great mic as well.

I can tell you customer support at Mojave is really, really good. I had someone steal a cable and part of a shockmount and they sent me everything really cheap and really quick and have been really helpful.
If I can't find one used...
Old 27th October 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just pulled the trigger on a sanken cu41, if I don't like it then I'll be back onto the mojave!
Old 27th October 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Mojave offers a really great value for the price. I have a mayched pair of the 100s, and whether it's a function of the tube or it's just an excellent capsule design, they don't have much in the way of a propensity to get harsh. I haven't tried the rest of their SDCs, so I can't compare to determine if the tube is a factor there or not.

I also have used the 200 a lot, though I don't own one, and I think that it sounds pretty fantastic. It can be a little bit much on particularly high-pitched or nasal singers, but it excels as a general instrument mic and on more baritone-range vocals. I'm rather hot to try out the 300; can anybody comment as to whether or not the voicing is different from the 200 when in cardioid mode?
πŸ“ Reply