Quantcast
Taylor Guitars ES Expression System Pickups - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Taylor Guitars ES Expression System Pickups
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Taylor Guitars ES Expression System Pickups

Ok, I've searched the forums and can't find anything on the subject so here goes. Any of you producers/recordists/GSers tried the Taylor ES pickup system on a recording (or live)???? They've been out about 4 years now and I have yet to hear anyone on GS give a comment or opinion on how they record. They were meant to plug right into a soundboard or console.

Any experience slutz?
Old 18th March 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nada?
Old 18th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I got a 614 right when it came out. I've had it repaired twice...still hums like nobody's business. I've tried numerous DIs and ground lifts and such. However, I only use mine for recording so it is not that big of a deal. Taylors tend to be bright, I remember (when it worked) the expression taming that a bit, but I have not had a very good experience with it though. That being said, I love my guitar...plays great and sounds great. I'll never let it go.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I had an 814 it was ok, not as good as a small diaphram mic...I sent mine back to Taylor to get rid of the noise, the found a ground wire loose.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's used for the recordings of "Live At Daryl's House" on the web. T-bone and Daryl Hall both use Taylors and Pete Moshay records right off the guitars. I believe there might be a thread by Pete in the Live Recording section. Do a search.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The mid range on the ES is nearly perfect. I gig with big ensembles (dual keys, piano, drums, perc, bass, brass, wind, strings) and the guitar usually annoys people. after using my new 615 with the ES, it's almost wierd how many of the band members complimented on how well the Taylor sounded. Usually I get the "Your guitar sounds really tinny" coments, until now.

Now my Taylor Koa 12 string has the Fishman Blender and the Fishman is actually perfect for that guitar as Koa is very mellow.

Anyway, I'm loving the ES!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I own the T5 and a Taylor 814.

I have found that both are fantastic for direct recording. But, I would agree with another poster that the 814 sounds even better mic'ed. Of course, I go direct and mic at the same time.

The T5 C2, which I had debated selling awhile back has now found continuous use. I love that guitar.
Old 19th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I also have a 614ce with the ES system. Yes, it definitely works plugged right into a preamp or console. I used it for recording at another studio other than my own. The engineers eyes almost popped out after he heard it. The guitar sounded great....by itself.

When mixing down we had to rolloff the low mids to fitthe song better. One of the best direct recording acoustic sound I've heard...thus far.
Old 9th July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Yesterday I borrowed my brother's 414ce (from the end of 2007) to hear how it sounds with the ES system.

I own a high end recording chain : Shadow Hills Equinox (preamp with 3 different outputs transformers), Lavry Blue ADC, Pro Tools HD ...

The guitar by itself sounds good but when I recorded it directly with the ES system, I was quite disappointed.
I tried all the settings on the ES, boost off, boost on, more gain, less gain, more bass, less bass, more trebble ...
All I could get was an "average" guitar sound.

Right now, I am looking for buying a Taylor to do some direct recording : it's more convenient for me to just plug a guitar and record vs putting a mic, finding the sweep spot ...

So my question is : does the Fishman sounds better for direct recording ?
Anyone did some comparison ?
I don't have the possibility to try a Taylor with a Fishman.

Thanks.
Old 11th July 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
dont forget taylor has 2 es sstems. a lower model in the 3 and 40 series and i believe up to the 6's. the 7's and above have the much nicer one. the low one only has a piezo pickup i believe, whereas the higher one has 3 seperate mics/ pickups built in. the higher level one is awesome. the lower ones i didnt care for at all
πŸ“ Reply