Quantcast
Ampex 4 Channel Recorder 4/350 Preamps from Chess Records - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ampex 4 Channel Recorder 4/350 Preamps from Chess Records
Old 10th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Ampex 4 Channel Recorder 4/350 Preamps from Chess Records

So Like any broke audio nut I spend time hunting around ebay for old stuff, especially tape machines and console parts. But when I found this It blew my mind:
Ampex 4 Channel Recorder 4/350 Preamps Chess Records - eBay (item 130285316814 end time Mar-03-09 20:37:25 PST)

The seller claims that this is the first 4 track used by Chess Records. Being the huge chess fan that I am I was stunned that this could be the original 4 track.

The seller Is in Algonquin Illinois witch helps in the convincing, However he says "I do not know how to find out historically if this was the first 4 channel recorder that Chess used" I do see an ampex badge on what looks to be the power supply so I'm sure there is a way to find out for sure.

I figured this would cause quite a stir with all the slutz.
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It is what it says it is and itr looks to be in halfway decent shape.
It has the Ampex Sel-Sync switches which is kinda' cool.

The price is a bit high!
He won't get that kind of money.
He'll need more documentation and proof that it did come from Chess to get top dollar.
Otherwise... it's just a pretty cool 350 4-track deck that is intact.

Having the deck that a bunch of Chess stuff was recorded on would be cool, but not $10K cool.
If it is real it is the deck that The Yardbird's recorded "Shapes" on.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Could be cool to rack up the line amps to run independently. I am awaiting the arrival today of my Ampex A440c line amps that I had moded to run independently. Looking forward to trying them on a few sources as I used to LOVE the A440 when I had the tape machine. It is more than just a tape thing. Cool class A amps with great input and output transformers. thumbsup
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I know the chess studio at 2120 Michigan ave had a 350 two track. is 350 just the amplifier type? The early 8 track Ampex machines looked just like the 4 tracks but with more amp modules.

I also Know Willie Dixonś widow bought and restored the original studio at 2120. I wonder how much original gear is still there. Ive read that the studio was based off the general Putnam´s style of design, including a custom Putnam console.
Old 21st December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Haven't seen that, now I have to look into that, I'd a thought his son would have done it, maybe.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…