Twitter #Gearslutz - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Twitter #Gearslutz
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 ➑️
I think they should call it Twatter, the social messaging utility for twats.
I agree.
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savernake ➑️
That's sometimes true, though I've always felt my iPhone is just an advanced bathroom entertainment system.

I hope you wash your hands and phone before touching anything or anyone else?
Old 20th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here's mine:
Twitter / Leverty
I started pretty recently and have no idea what I'm doing with it, but I'd like to be a part of any community that will help me network with like-minded people, especially with fellow gear slutz.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I remain something of a skeptic about the value of Twitter but here's an article (forwarded to me by the nice folks at Tunecore) from About.com on using Twitter to promote music:

How to Use Twitter - Use Twitter for Music Career - Twitter for Musicians

I'm posting this in the other contemporaneous Twitter thread, so don't be surprised to see it there, too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen ➑️
I hope you wash your hands and phone before touching anything or anyone else?
My 'phone hand' doesn't touch anything but the phone, but of course I wash my hands. Why, do you go touching your ass when you visit the loo? Why would you do that?

It does make sense that multi touch phones (or any phones) could harbour nasty things, so I do happen to wipe it with a dettol kitchen wipe every couple of days. Little OCD of me but why not.

Oh well; I've tried explaining the nenefits of tiwtter, and I'm glad some of you signed up to give it a go at least.

Shame some people are remaining ignorant about it. Thanks to twitter last night, Joey Santiago is helping me track down a little rare analog box of tricks. But you are welcome to restrict your resources and avoid twitter if you like.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➑️
here's an article (forwarded to me by the nice folks at Tunecore) from About.com on using Twitter to promote music:

Great link, glad you're investigating at least.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I remain something of a skeptic about the value of Twitter but here's an article (forwarded to me by the nice folks at Tunecore) from About.com on using Twitter to promote music:

This was probably the best advice on that link:

Quote:
Don't substitute interaction on Twitter, MySpace or any social networking site for actually DOING something.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
this could be quite intresting for studio diaries, anyway thats the way i want to use it

https://twitter.com/RecMixRo
Founder

Rather than having to go RTFM can anyone sum up here why its of use to a studio? Producer or engineer?

Thanks
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taproot ➑️
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1

This was probably the best advice on that link:

Quote:
Don't substitute interaction on Twitter, MySpace or any social networking site for actually DOING something.
You think?

I spent so much time last night trying to knit together my 'social network' elements that I didn't pick up a guitar.

But I did make some headway. I pointed TwitterFeed (a 3rd party service) so that it fed the RSS info from my blog into my Twitter feed, and finally put a section on my personal web page tying together my major social and download sites.

But the next challenge may be the greatest.

They tell us) at Twitter that the next step is to start following some people and that will slowly grow my network (now comfortably -- and elegantly -- at zero followers and zero followed).

Following people... as though they... you know, had something to say... of interest...

So, I figure it's like MySpace friends, the last interaction you usually have is when you approve their friend request, except maybe deleting their promo spam.

By the way, has anyone read the relatively new Facebook Terms of Service? I was about to upload a video there and remembered that it includes a perpetual rights clause with no termination possible from the member side, unlike most of the other download and social sites, like Soundclick and MySpace.

(MySpace had a troubling clause in their artists' agreement but fixed it, when people pointed out there was no termination option for members. And -- speaking of MySpace actually fixing things, I've noticed that many if not most member pages are coming up much more quickly these days so it looks like they took out some of the bad coding that was resulting in those long hangups as offsite media, etc, was collected. I don't know, but these may be the first positive things I've said about MySpace publicly. But don't get me wrong... it's still Vapid City. heh )
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I believe Facebook reverted to their previous terms of service a couple of days ago after the reaction to the new ones they made claiming they owned anything uploaded (pics, music etc)

You're right blue1, the next step is to follow some people. just search your interest for two minutes on search.twitter.com - I also recommend thinking of which your favourite news sites (regular news, music news, comedy sites like the onion, and most individual bloggers have a twitter feed etc) and checking their sites or the twitter search as they usually have a twitter feed of late. Ideally use the friend finder to check if anyone on your email address books is on there too.

Jules - the use of twitter for a studio or producer/engineer is to keep you fresh in the mind of prospective clients. That they are aware of studio upgrades, or hear of progress on current recordings you make, it's all going to keep you fresh in their mind. You're probably thinking 'how do I get those potential clients to follow me?' You could search words like 'music' 'songwriting' 'recording' 'live' 'gig' etc for your town - the advanced search at Advanced Twitter Search can search within a distance of a location.

Also check out the bands/musicians on twitter list I linked to before, a casual message to them saying you like their music and can offer them some time could go a long way.

As for anyone who thinks it's another thing to take up time online...

It SAVES time online! You don't need to spend ages in your RSS feed, visit sites you normally frequent, and when you have a few friends on here, don't need to use IM. I spend WAY less time online than I used to, because everything is condensed into my twitter feed. Info always comes under 140 characters too. I follow enough people who share my interests that any of those cool quirky links that make the internet so great are sent to me. You don't miss anything 'happening' in the world right now because the news gets retweeted everywhere so fast.

I'm trying really hard to convince everyone here because more gearslutz on there will only make it better. My favourite tweets are studio news and escapades, and you guys will end up making lots of great content for us all to share.

Remember to retweet anything you enjoy!

Twitter / TomDavenport
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
By the way, fans of British comedy Peep Show:

The characters are tweeting, taking the sitcom into the 'real world'... an 'experiment in interactive comedy and fiction.' They interact with each other which makes it interesting. A creative example of what twitter can do.

Twitter / MarkCorrigan

Twitter / JezOsbourne

Twitter / theSuperHans

Twitter / JohnsonJLB

Twitter / SophieChapman

Twitter / YankNancy

Twitter / DobbyElf
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Well... I'm trying hard to find the value in this...

But I have to say that as I search around for anything vaguely interesting, I'm not finding much. (This is not directed to any of the folks here whose feeds I've just added. I'm talking about the established Twitter members I've found by searching on some favorite music genres... but who would have dreamed that all the downtempo folks would be airheads and a lot of the bluegrass folks would be reactionaries... [sigh] )

Mind you, I'm all for anything that might start helping me to tie together my ragtag online empire... I need to get this thing in focus. I got the DL figures for my blog/podcast and ran them into a spreadsheet to get the totals and saw that it came out to over a quarter million downloads. (And I swear only 249,000 of them were from me.) Add that to the 100,000+ DLs I got over the years at places like Soundclick and Mp3.com. And who knows what all at other sites. But, that's the thing... I'm scattered all over. I have so many download sites with my music, multiple accounts, etc. Vids in multiple places... it's just a mess.

I'd set up a FriendFeed page a while back, and I like that because to some extent it can tie together your stuff -- at least as long as you've got RSS feeds for it. But that's part of the prob, too. Some places that really SHOULD be are simply not RSS friendly. (Like Soundclick, for instance. Which is losing traffic because they have no provision (I can find) for making a feed for your music page.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

So, I figure it's like MySpace friends, the last interaction you usually have is when you approve their friend request, except maybe deleting their promo spam.
So true.

Quote:

I've noticed that many if not most member pages are coming up much more quickly these days so
I think that is more likely because of point one. Not so much traffic there anymore.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
There's a bit of a learning curve with twitter. I haven't been on it long, but there are definitely advantages for musicians there.

Imogen Heap is a good example, she has around 15.000 people following her antics. That's a lot of publicity right there.

What you need to learn is stuff like using # tags so other people that are searching for something can find you. Learn about using Retweets (RT).

And it helps to use something like TweetDeck to find your way around. There's a continously updating tag cloud in TweetDeck so you can see what the most used words and tags are at that moment by millions of other users.

Just look at the plane crash in the Hudson, it was on Twitter before anything else.
Or when Stephen Fry got stuck in a lift, and all of his 100.000 followers started talking about it.

I guess it is about buzz words and what's hot or not.
In a smaller more personal way, twitter can also just be about following a studio build tweet by tweet. Or about how an album is progressing.

I constantly find little gems of information from my fellow gearslutz on twitter and that's what keeps me tweeting.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great ➑️
So true.

I think that is more likely because of point one. Not so much traffic there anymore.
As tempting as that explanation is, I noticed the change pretty much overnight (well, it's not quite like I go to my MySpace page everyday, but I had been there a couple times that week). In fact, I'd just been kvetching about how slow it was and I went to someone else's page with a bunch of typical content and it was (relatively) fast and I thought, wow, I gotta see what they did different so I looked at their code and it was typical pimped m/s code. So I went to my pages and, whaddyaknow, they were fast too. I mean, relative to the old dog slow page loads previously.

Now, for me, there never was a bloom on that rose. But, all the same, I doubt folks are, say, fleeing MySpace and flooding FB, which seems to me has much of the simpering puerility of MySpace with little of the pizazz -- and is smothered in a stultifying air of wannabe yuppies trying to act grown up.

By the way
... it does look like the protests from FB content providers over the onerous terms of their 'new' service agreement have caused the TOS changes to be reversed -- although I haven't been through the current (and apparently reverted) TOS, myself. Facebook Bill of Rights and Responsibilities | Facebook
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Twitter Naming

Just changed my twitter name. I realized after a day of getting into this twitter thing that names that are not descriptive of the person, are not much help when you start trying to follow people with RSS based apps. If you have tons of people you follow and there is a new post by coolstudioman, that does not really tell you who is posting, especially if you follow lots of studio related feeds. If I see a post from Bjork or thursdayband, I know how I am getting updates from.

Twitter / RonanCMurphy

Still not sure about the whole Twitter thing, but at least for now its a fun diversion on breaks from mixing.
Old 21st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
rcm, good observation on the name, the only other suggestion i"d have is to make it short as possible so when people reply the can get more message to you (replys start with @[username] and still use up part of the 140 character limit.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
starting it too: Twitter / theprivateroom
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
There's a nice core of gearslutz starting on twitter.
Hope we'll get some more on there.

Twitter / koed00
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Has anyone else noticed that Firefox 3 with NoScript installed/enabled prevents the follow button from working?

NoScript shows no sign of blocking anything. But clicking on the follow button is like clicking on nothing. I've had to jump to IE7 to do any actual Twitter use besides simply browsing.

I've manually added both twitter.com and googleapis.com to my NoScript whitelist but... nada. Even switching ALLOW GLOBAL SCRIPTINGon does nothing. I have to disable NoScript and reload FF3 in order to use the Twitter follow button. That's nuts.

UPDATE: more info coming -- but here's something from the NoScript folks, article 6.5 here: NoScript - JavaScript/Java/Flash blocker for a safer Firefox experience! - faq - InformAction

UDPATE 2: Nope. Nothing there worked. Looks like it's IE for Twitter, for now.
Old 22nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
blue1, i recommend you take a look at TweetDeck for using twitter on a desktop
Old 22nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
re: TweetDeck...
Quote:
- Especially useful running full screen on a separate monitor
Yow... now I'm buying my Twitter account its own monitor?!? heh

Damn... that's quite a commitment.

You guys better get a lot more interesting in your tweets before this is going to achieve lifestyle status around these parts...

heh
Old 24th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Twitter is the best networking tool in ages. So much better than facebook etc, the beauty here is the simplicity. No one gets it at first, but those who spend more than a week with it find it a real asset to their lives.

I'm at Twitter / TomDavenport

There's a massive spreadsheet of musicians on twitter here (GREAT for band updates and studio diaries)

Artists, Bands and Musicians on Twitter - Google Docs

Seriously, if you're not on twitter you're probably losing clients. Search for guides on businesses using twitter to help understand that.
The spreadsheet was helpful. I snagged Twitter pages of a couple handfuls of musicians I wanted to follow and added my own band name to the end. One of my first guitar heroes, Jorma Kaukonen, actually reciprocated. (Looks like, at least as of a day or two ago, that was his standard practice, mind you. heh )

Anyhow, I'm keeping my oar in the Twitter waters.

Actually, with TwitterFeed hooked up, it seems to serve the purpose of FriendFeed pretty well. I really do need something that will tie all my activities together where my 'fans' (Hi, Mom!) can get an overview.

I just came across this article earlier today. Don't let the somewhat disapproving early tone throw you, he's not actually anti-Twittwer so much as just calling for a little calm perspective: The Twitter Fantasy | Collaboration 2.0 | ZDNet.com
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
from their promo material:

"real life happens between blogs and emails"

Twitter is apparently a way to fill up this undocumented wasteland with more documentation .

soon a new service will come out to offer something even more continuous, and their slogan will be:

"real life happens between tweets"

Mercifully the end to this trend must arrive when we get to the point where the only answer to "what are you doing" is "telling everybody what I am doing"
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➑️

soon a new service will come out to offer something even more continuous, and their slogan will be:

"real life happens between tweets"

Mercifully the end to this trend must arrive when we get to the point where the only answer to "what are you doing" is "telling everybody what I am doing"
Too damn funny
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Tags are done with hashtags like #gearslutz

The search function on search.twitter.com is where you check out these things - search your very specific interests and you'll find one or two people into the same thing who are worth a follow.

Don't just search 'music' - search 'api 3124' or 'shadow hills' or something really niche. Search those really rare artists you like. Search places you're going on holiday.

PLease, please give it more than a week or two before you become one of those lame 'this is just the facebook status' - it really is better than that.
Can't see this search page directly on twitter.com >>> clue me up someone! My profile is: Twitter / mitchellmusic
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Twitter Search

rumoured to be integrated into the main web interface soon
Old 25th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Me tooooooo!
Twitter / medialux
Old 25th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 ➑️
Can't see this search page directly on twitter.com >>> clue me up someone! My profile is: Twitter / mitchellmusic
You can find a link to it at the bottom of most Twitter pages (Search).

Oddly, in Twitter Search, clicking on the big Twitter logo at the top of the page simply refreshes the search page instead sending you to Twitter's home page.

There are a lot of little oddly disconnected things like that in Twitter.

BTW, I've tried EVERYTHING I've found or could think of to try to get Twitter to work with FireFox 3. It worked for me under FF2 but FF3 seemed to pretty much kill it. None of the follow buttons work, etc.

It drives me nuts... I have to switch over to IE just to use Twitter.
πŸ“ Reply