Quantcast
So ive got the bm12a's at home for a demo and... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So ive got the bm12a's at home for a demo and...
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So ive got the bm12a's at home for a demo and...

I'm getting the red LED all the time. I LOVE the sound, BUT they are distorting way too soon. My cables are balanced, the setup is all the same. My yamaha hs80's dont distort like this, the red LED lights up everytime theres a big hit of bass or a kick drum. There not broken or damaged, but just dont seem cut out for my music maybe?

I was comparing them with the ADAM p22a's and as the Adams were special order I could only take the bm12a's home for demo. The Adams I would have got were taken out and put in the stores demo room for me to listen to, and in there I noticed one of the LED's was dimmer than the other one, strange but true. So if i choose the Adams i'm getting that EXACT pair I saw, with the strange light, one dimmer than the other. Easily spotted, its not me being pedantic.

Would I be better of with the p22a's for bass/transient response? The dynaudios sound nicer to me but if they distort and crumble at this level when my hs80s don't, they are DEFINATELY going back.
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Are you referring to DynAudio BM15A's? If you are then I'll tell you I had the exact same experience with the ones I got in here to demo. Loved the sound but the red light was constantly coming on. I think they're underpowered. I then got a pair of the BM15P's - passive - no internal amp, and they were the ticket. Bought a Bryston 4Bst to power them and I was a happy camper. You need to try the Passives with a good clean amp like a Bryston. I know it's an expensive setup but you will be in heaven.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They are the bm12a's. Active 8inch. It's like...the low end is there, punching, but everynow and then I can hear distortion that I've NEVER heard....the mixes aren't distorting....but the speaker says it is. It skips the orange led and goes straight to red. The Adams don't have any form of protection do they? like a safety limiter or overheating protection?

The adams sounded lovely above 2k, but the bass on the bm12a's just had something special in the shop. (I obviously wasn't playing loud enough in the store)
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I Googled them. Didn't know what they were. Like I said in my previous post I had that same issue with the BM15A's Clipped really early. And they ran really hot - I think there was heat sinks as I remember on the back and they were red hot. Not good. The Passives are great though. Just need a great amp with them.
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Have the same problem with the Bm15a's. The red lights kick on and they distort way before you would think they should. It kinda keeps me from mixing too loud though which might be a good thing, if I really want to blast I switch to our westlake mains. I haven't used the passive ones, I could see that working better.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm p*ssed off about this. It was out of the bm12A's or the Adam p22 but the adams felt empty next to the dynaudio's. Now i've ruled the dynaudios out whats next to try??

Maybe the VXT8's???

Also does anyone know if the P22A's have any protection/limiting??
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have the p22a.They have Protection when you really overrun em(led goes red-no sound until you turn the volume down).They go very loud tho and sound awsome.You should give them a go imo.About the dimmer light..no idea but probably an easy fix.
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
I don't mean to bag on any company in general, but just a comment in general about active monitors: the weakness in most of them is in the amplifier and companies setting a limiter pretty low on them to prevent abuse / failures / repairs. You really can't push them in most cases.

Take the ADAM home and give them a spin, mix on them if you have the opportunity (sounds like you do) and let us know...!

I mix on ADAM P33A and love them, and they will run you out of the room before limiting / clipping occurs.

War
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Are you guys deaf?
I have the 15A and the red light never lit up
before the feeling that somebody whacked me with a hammer occured.
The louder you mix the worse it translates. But thats just my opinion!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have been playing drums for 18 years and didn't use ear protection for the first half of that! There's def some hearing loss!

I also do a lot of loud punk/rock projects that the band wants to hear loud when they're in the room with me.

If I actually mix at 83-85dB I don't think I have as much issue with them but end up pumping it up a bit usually.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thats the thing, i'm not pushing them that hard. My yamaha hs80 handle the same songs with ease. The dynaudio's just say its too loud. The led is meant to go orange BEFORE it distorts ie clips. And when the led goes red its meant to mute an protect the drivers. All that happens is it goes from green to red way too easily and then clips. NO ORANGE. No MUTE. I have tried adjusting settings such as the input volumes etc on my mackie big knob. I'm lost.

As for the adams, the store said if i buy them i'll be getting that pair in the shop i tried as they were new an they just opened them that day to test. They ordered them from adam. Should i ask for them to order a new pair? The light issue is annoying more than anything. The guy didn't think he could see the issue but i asked 3 friends an they could all see it. One green led very dim compared to the other. I'm paying 1270 for speakers so i'd rather not give myself reasons to worry from the get go.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not sure about the lights on the dyn's, we have the older looking model and it's one green and one red (no orange), the red's light up a lot but no muting happens.

Wish I could give advice on the adam's but have never heard them other than at AES. There seems to be a lot of info on here about them tho.

I do love the dyn's and have gotten quite used to mixing on them.

Note: I don't own any of this stuff, it's all in the studio I have worked at for the last year and a half.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i only found out about the led's from the manual. Check the website...you'll find the manual and see.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm07 ➑️
All that happens is it goes from green to red way too easily and then clips. NO ORANGE. No MUTE.
http://www.dynaudioacoustics.com/med...manual_web.pdf

Are you sure you are not mistaking red for orange?

I just happened to have auditioned a pair of BM12a at Digital Village today.

The red or orange light flickered (I cannot remember exactly the colour) briefly with one CDR I played (at medium volume) that was obviously originally recorded into clipping. The rest of the cds, I didn't notice a red/orange light but I never really turned the volume up that high though.

Perhaps the BM12a's light flashes with material that was 'recorded into clipping', such as that CDR I mentioned.

Edit: Have you set it to high or low output source on the back?
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
check the website. You'll see it mention the second led lights orange before going red where it should clip.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sorry for the above post. I didn't see you'd made a edit. And i'm typing this on my phone so things are slow lol

I've checked all settings on my daw. Adjusted everything that can be adjusted. I was using things such as amy winehouse - back to black, and timbaland - shock value.

If i start to play loudly, every kick drum is a red flash- no mute. Sometimes you can hear it clip...usually on timbalands songs where he uses bass heavy synth's... Ie a lot of it lol

While this is happening, if i change my mackie big knob to monitors B my hs80's kick in with room to spare. They can handle it with ease, no distortion, no cliping...makes no sense.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't worry about the dim light. I have one light dimmed with my K&H speakers and the reason for this is, because one of the leds is not straight directed. If a LED is just a little angled in the cabinet, you'll have a perception of it glowing darker. Power LED doesn't affect the sonics of the speakers in any way - it is just there for the indication. And on the other hand not even two active monitors sound completely the same. They should be matched to a certain degree, but in reality it is possible to experience more or less deviation. If they sound the same to you, it is the last thing to worry about a LED glowing differently because of its position in the box or maybe a slightly different LED.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Sounds really weird to be doing it so often. I would suggest plugging a source with average output, such as a cd player with 2v ish output, into it and seeing if it still clips with normal cds. Use rca to xlr adaptors.

I'd also recommend discussing it with the shop before jumping to any definite conclusions. It could feasibly be a faulty unit.

Good luck
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
in regards to the led...... i just see it as something's not right...one way or another. And for Β£1270 i expect somewhat perfect condition.
Gear Maniac

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I don't get the whole active speaker thing. Power amps are cheap and plentiful, plus you can mix/match the amp to the speaker and room.

Sounds like yours might be defective ... good luck getting the issue resolved.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Went to studio today and the problems seem to have gone? I can play very loud now, and the LED will flash red on the kick drum at most. Is this ok? If not it seems like i'll need the bm15a's. I do like to feel my music at times.

I tried the p22a again and they are not my cup of tea at all. Mixes that are finished (Will-I-am's album) sounded terrible and unfinished on them. Empty. Yet it sounds great elsewhere on 99% of speakers.

I want the Bm12a but worried i'm seeing the red led a bit too much.

Confused.com
Old 25th February 2009 | Show parent
66z
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hey mate,

I can feel your pain.

Please keep us posted if you solve the problem!

Red light wouldn't really bother me as long as there's no clipping/distortion.

I'm also looking for my perfect Dynaudio model and BM12A just might be it.

~~~
Old 25th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Something has to be wrong. I can't even stand to be in the same room as my BM-15A's if the red lights are coming on. They are l-o-u-d. I never see red lights on mine.
Old 26th February 2009 | Show parent
Why dont you contact Dyn-Audio directly or your dealer? might be defected.

Im also wanting to buy Bm12a. Is there any great deals/prices online?

Please pass me the info if guys know any. it would be super helpful!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the 15's weren't lighting up red, the 12's were. I ended up going with the focal twins but i still love those dynaudio's. The 12's with the 14s sub would be amazing. I listened to the combo recently and if i could afford it would have gone down that route.
66z
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
How does bass on the Focals compares with BM12/15A?
I'm going to audition those anyway.. and since you're from London, where did you find the best price for them?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I got them from dv. There always great with service and prices so can't really go wrong.

Out of the 15's, 12's an twins i'd say this... The 12's have the most thump. The bass is still there at low levels, when you give them some volume it stays balanced but just don't have enough power for my liking. As many have said...it may just have been a bad set i tried (they were demo pairs that have been in use in shops for ages)

The 15 seemed to have no bass almost. Its there but you need volume to understand it. I tried them with the dynaudio 14s sub and that was much much better. The top end and midrange is also clearer than the 12a, but then the bass end was lacking. I tried some songs i was very familiar with and kick drums sounded clicky or hollow. Those same songs sound great on almost every speaker i've played them on. But as i said...this was at low volume, give them some volume and they come alive.

The focals are simply different. The 3way design is definately the reason. I found the lower mids to be the biggest difference, i was hearing reverb boominess that i wasn't hearing before. The bass is great and definately not hyped. Not as enjoyable as the bm12's but much more workable. Adding a sub isn't necessary but would just make it a fullrange set up. I'm ok without one for now.
66z
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks mate, very informative indeed.

I'd rather choose the path without sub for now as well, Focal Twins are out of my price range though so the remaining contenders would be BM12A and the Solos. Will post my impressions here once I check them in action.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sands ➑️

...And they ran really hot - I think there was heat sinks as I remember on the back and they were red hot.
A friend of mine has an active pair of Dynaudios. After he broke them in, he noticed that one got very hot and the other did not (heat sinks). He called Dynaudio and they said that some type of adjustment / calibration was needed. Not sure of the details, but I believe he had the issue corrected by Dynaudio and is 100% happy now.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66z ➑️
Thanks mate, very informative indeed.

I'd rather choose the path without sub for now as well, Focal Twins are out of my price range though so the remaining contenders would be BM12A and the Solos. Will post my impressions here once I check them in action.
I had a budget too but thought if i'm willing to fork out Β£1200 i might as well save up that bit more and get the twins. The solo's are nice but i prefered the bm12's simply cos of the low end.
πŸ“ Reply