Quantcast
Open Question for the Blasting Room - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Open Question for the Blasting Room
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Open Question for the Blasting Room

I am a twenty-something punk who has grown up with the sound of the Blasting Room. Almost all of my favorite albums have been recorded there and as I became involved in the art of recording I have lusted after the sound they have created. So I have decided to post some (general & specific) open questions to them as I hear Jason and Andrew frequent the forum. So here they go...

What is the typical method you employ when tracking bass? (i.e. micing the amp or direct-in, or both? outboard compression and eq)

Do you compress guitars on the way in? Do artists tend to use their own guitars and amps or do they use Blasting Room gear?

What was (some of) the vocal chain(s) used on the new Propagandhi album? What about with other artists such as A Wilhelm Scream?

Is there any gear you could not track without, say in the case of gutiars? Such as a specific eq, compressor, or mic?

What do you think has been the best recording you have done or the Blasting Room has done?

I don't mean to geek this place up, but I have wondered these things, and I am sure many other things, for quite some time. The Blasting Room has transformed underground punk music and I am one music enthusiast who would appreciate their input. thanks guys!
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
This is a bump. I love all the stuff that comes out of that room as well.

I will say that All those guys kick ass. Got a chance to meet Bill when he came around with one of his side bands. He is a great drummer.

I know that they usally blend multiple bass signals when recording. One di track, maybe a mic'd track , etc..

Sorry to Hijack,

Jason Chime in..!
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the props.

"What is the typical method you employ when tracking bass? (i.e. micing the amp or direct-in, or both? outboard compression and eq)"

Usually bass is DI, Sans amp pedal, and miked bass amp sometimes a guitar amp too for bass.

Do you compress guitars on the way in? Do artists tend to use their own guitars and amps or do they use Blasting Room gear?

Dont really compress guitars on the way in to often, but sometimes the westrek (LA3a) clone works good, as does the vac rac. Mostly we use our gear, but it's a mixture between our guitars and the artists.

What was (some of) the vocal chain(s) used on the new Propagandhi album? What about with other artists such as A Wilhelm Scream?

Propagandhi was sm7 thru lachappel992eg pre to westrek comp.

Mix was retro 176

AWS was the E47 on Nuno, and the u99 on trevor and Jon (Brian) on new.

probably api pre then.

Is there any gear you could not track without, say in the case of gutiars? Such as a specific eq, compressor, or mic?

I can usually make a lot of different gear work well, but a good marshall or bogner cab helps tons. Usually 57's or m160's or both work great too. Api's, and chandler pres make it easier as well.

What do you think has been the best recording you have done or the Blasting Room has done?

I still am fond of a recording I did in 2001 for a band called "Someday I" I like the newest Rise Against album as well. We have done a few records for a band from Japan called "KEMURI" and theirs are always top notch as well.

Thanks

Jason
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Jason, any plans to tour with a band like Bill does or are you strictly a studio rat?

Btw, love the Comeback Kid Stuff. Especially "Wake the Dead."

It just crushes..
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
No touring plans. Did enough in the late 90's with "Wretch Like Me". My touring now consist of "touring" to LA and San Fran to make records!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Hey, one more question. Will Bane ever do a record with you guys at Blasting Room? I thnik that would be a great fit for them..

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Jason do you guys do any analog at The Blasting Room or all digital? I heard thru the grapevine you were all digital. Always love the sounds you guys get. Like to get a few pointers on how you mic drums and what you use too............

Thanks-Joe
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I am pretty sure the new Propagandhi stuff has the best sound of any record I have heard till now. Chris's vocals sound amazing, the guitars are tough and the bass sits well in the mix.

What sansamp pedal is it that you use? I used to use their bass driver and switched to using the avalon U5, but both seem to do very well. Do you generally just use an sm57 on guitars, or do you blend two different mics?

Also, is it possible for me to fly out to Colorado and just hang out at the studio ever? I have actually never been to a real studio despite having been recording for nearly 6 years as an amatuer. Though I am afriad I wouldn't even know what to do with myself at the Blasting Room. Probably cry a little, and laugh some.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
JQ, not to speak for Jason. They have a full SSL 6000 series console and they use tape as well as a Pro tools rig.

See it all here..

BlastingRoomStudios.com

Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlivermore ➑️

I still am fond of a recording I did in 2001 for a band called "Someday I"

Jason
Jason, 'Ref 4' by Someday I is one of my favorite albums of all time! Stellar piece of work! I drove 4 hours once to see them play in Detroit on the Owned & Operated tour. Also flew to Ft Collins to see them at the last Stockage Festival in 2003 when I found out they were playing. Too bad those guys aren't around anymore.

BTW, Wretch Like Me at that last Stockage Festival were supertight!
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman ➑️
JQ, not to speak for Jason. They have a full SSL 6000 series console and they use tape as well as a Pro tools rig.

See it all here..

BlastingRoomStudios.com

Thanks for the link.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The new Rise Against really sounds great - I had posted another thread on it (not much in the way of replies).

Great work, guys!
Old 14th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hi guys, thanks for all the positive thoughts!.

Haven't used the 2 inch machine for a while. Cut most of the basics of the last Lemonheads record to 2 inch, and occasionally bounce stuff to it also, but usually straight to tools. The newest Propagandhi was mixed to our Studer 1/2 inch machine with BASF 900.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hello Jason!!!

i'm really into BR jobs!!! I aways use your records to set up monitors and PA systems.

The last ONLY CRIME is amaizing!!!
How did you get that drive on bass? I'ts awsome!!!

Do you guys use the SSL board pres for something or everything is outboard pres?

Any plains for a "Allroy Saves" Remix? This one is my favorite All record, but the sound is not that great...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I believe that rig was, first and foremost, DONNY BLAIR. Its all in the playing!

jazz bass
tube screamer
b15 head into a 2x 15 cab
m88 mic

Dont use the board pres much at all, mostly outboard stuff.

NO plans for Saves remix, but there are a couple of remixed tracks from it on the ALL greates Hits CD that came out in 2000 on O and O
Old 17th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hello Jason!

I love all the stuff coming from your studio - Comeback Kid, Rise Against, NoFX ............. thumbsup

The guitars on the new Propagandhi album sound AWESOME !

Can you tell which amps where used and what other gear was involved in the recording chain?

Thanks!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Prop gtrs, were chris sg, beav esp gtr. Both were playing through our Bogner Ecstasy, and a Marshall JMP, thru Bogner cabs. I think 57, and m160's were the mics thru chandler ltd pres. Hammer eq was invloved also.

J
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sometimes being on Gearslutz kicks ass!!!! Thanks Jason!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks Jason!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Propaghandi...

Very talented guys..
Old 20th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jason,

the Propaghandi record sounds incredible...it has a nice "crispy sheen" to it.

How are you achieving this incredible texture in your mixes?
Do you still remember how you tracked the drums?

ItΒ΄s really one of the best sounding rock albums iΒ΄ve heard so far this year.

I am happy about an answer
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Alexi,

Thank you.

Drums were tracked as follows:
k in heil pr40 chandler ltd empeq
k out el diablo chandler ltd
k sub 15 inch speaker
sn t 57 chandler ltd empeq
sn b km84 chandler ltd
toms cadm179 api 512c
floor m88 api 512c
hat and ride c42s focusrite red range
close cymbals chameleon labs ts1 focusrite red range
overheads in xy over drummer head ksm32 lachappel 992 eg
rooms 414s chandler channel
mono room r84 chandler channel

As far as textures, there really wasn't alot more than drums, bass, two guitars, sometimes a third guitar, and a vocal or two. Much time was spent making sure the guitars were tracked well, and the performances were tight. Chris and Beav are two of the best guitar players I've ever recorded, so they made it easy. I also mastered the record, and made sure not to squish it too much for volume sake. This helped me keep some of the punch that alot of records these days lack.

Jason
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Jason, you're a champion.

Before Career Suicide came out, RPM and Potemkin City Limits were 2 of my favorite albums. Then out comes the last Wilhelm album, and it slayed me in a way no other album had. Now, with the release of Supporting Caste, I have another favorite to throw in the mix. Truly great production on all of those albums.

The guitars always sound amazing. It's a hard thing to capture such clarity in high gain guitars, yet you guys seem to do it so well.

Do you have any tricks or tips for salvaging a guitar track that was recorded with too much gain, when rerecording the tracks are not an option? What would the best way to get the pick attack to pop out?

Thanks!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I would try and focus on the mids. Get surgical on that dude. Carve out any lows and airy highs that aren't needed, to get more clarity. I have also had decent luck compressing with a LA3A to bring the guitar more forward. Sometimes tape sat plugs like Massey and Phoenix help also. Of course a DI would be the best to reamp.

J
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlivermore ➑️
Haven't used the 2 inch machine for a while. Cut most of the basics of the last Lemonheads record to 2 inch, and occasionally bounce stuff to it also, but usually straight to tools.
Hey Jason,

What are your thoughts on tracking basics to PT, editing/tightening, dumping to tape, and then back into PT? Too many AD conversions? Worth it anyway?

I'm just so used to the tracking workflow with PT...

ian
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm ➑️
Sometimes being on Gearslutz kicks ass!!!! Thanks Jason!
Indeed
Old 21st March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
What are your thoughts on tracking basics to PT, editing/tightening, dumping to tape, and then back into PT? Too many AD conversions? Worth it anyway?
Don't do it too often. Only when I have a lot of time to mix, or I fell that the source needs it badly. Dont really care about the round trip a/d, just dont like to spend a lot of extra time doing it, as I can achieve similar results without it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
wow,

pretty interesting to see, that you are not compressing your drums "on the way in" jason. Would you mind sharing your favorite drum (buss) compressors?

I would have thought that you compressed a bit on the way in, at least the kick and the snare......well, i learn something every day.

cheers and thanks

alex
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I use the ssl channel strips for all of the drums, overheads and rooms. I'll use either a Fatso, Studio Electronics c2, Chandler ltd comp, or a Retro 176, plus a Standard Audio Levelor for parallel comps. Sometimes more than one combined. Usually dont put a comp on all the drums, but have the Shadow Hills mastering Comp on the 2 buss.
Old 23rd March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I just saw Propaghandi with Paint it black at the troc here in Philly

they come across so well on stage its sick
πŸ“ Reply