Quantcast
Most expensive thing you broke at Guitar center? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Most expensive thing you broke at Guitar center?
Old 10th February 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Jay-'s Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Most expensive thing you broke at Guitar center?

Was at GS in Texas and my father and me were getting the go for a documentary and picking up 2 lav microphones. The guy disappeared being the wall to fetch the second lav mic and ~KABALOOM~ my father turned a fender passport PA system all the way up and pressed about 5 buttons ans said, NO sound? Pressed power button and KILLED IT! Right speaker blaring at volume 10 I quickly turned the rig off and scurried my pop away. The tech appeared seconds later with no idea we just killed his display model.

Second, I was at mars music asked a guy how much the Gibson was, NOT TOUCHING ANYTHING!! I pointed and the guitar came crashing down 3 levels to the ground. I asked him "Any discounts now??" he said no, the tuning peg was obliterated in a mass of tooth picks..

I walked away.

Old 10th February 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
cavern's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- ➑️
Was at GS in Texas and my father and me were getting the go for a documentary and picking up 2 lav microphones. The guy disappeared being the wall to fetch the second lav mic and ~KABALOOM~ my father turned a fender passport PA system all the way up and pressed about 5 buttons ans said, NO sound? Pressed power button and KILLED IT! Right speaker blaring at volume 10 I quickly turned the rig off and scurried my pop away. The tech appeared seconds later with no idea we just killed his display model.

Second, I was at mars music asked a guy how much the Gibson was, NOT TOUCHING ANYTHING!! I pointed and the guitar came crashing down 3 levels to the ground. I asked him "Any discounts now??" he said no, the tuning peg was obliterated in a mass of tooth picks..

I walked away.


you and your pop stay away from my stuff.heh
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
dr_love6977's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
So it was you that forced Mars Music out of business!
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
staudio's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
You mean Guitar Center is supposed to have working equipment on display?
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
bobsandifer's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Well, im not sure if I broke it.....

I was in the GC in Chattanooga Tenn and went to visit the sound/Dj room. They had a smoke machine hooked up to this timer thing so I pushed the button and it got stuck. It took about 3 minutes for them to notice it and get it turned off. Yup...they knew it was me.
Old 10th February 2009
  #6
Gear Addict
 
Jay Dee's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- ➑️
Second, I was at mars music asked a guy how much the Gibson was, NOT TOUCHING ANYTHING!! I pointed and the guitar came crashing down 3 levels to the ground. I asked him "Any discounts now??" he said no, the tuning peg was obliterated in a mass of tooth picks..
I'm sure they put it back up for sale as a "blem".
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Knastratt's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
A bit OT but very funny.

I have this friend. He's a magnetic for disaster. Gear karma from hell. He wen't to the Banjo Mart look-alike of the town I used to live in to try an acoustic guitar. He picks a Yamaha 12-string off the wall mount and starts to play. 5 minutes later he realizes he's late for an appointment so he hangs the guitar back and leaves for the door.

A few steps before the entrance he gets this bad feeling so he stops and turns. Just to see the guitar wriggling loose from the wallhanger. The guitar hits a piano stool and bounces in to a beautiful white baby grand hitting the rod holding the lid open so it snaps while the lid completely crush the guitar.

Curtain!
Old 10th February 2009
  #8
Gear Guru
 
Ethan Winer's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- ➑️
Most expensive thing you broke at Guitar center?
This seems appropriate:

YouTube - Guitar Smash - Banned Commercials - Mastercard

heh

--Ethan
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
cavern's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knastratt ➑️
A bit OT but very funny.

I have this friend. He's a magnetic for disaster. Gear karma from hell. He wen't to the Banjo Mart look-alike of the town I used to live in to try an acoustic guitar. He picks a Yamaha 12-string off the wall mount and starts to play. 5 minutes later he realizes he's late for an appointment so he hangs the guitar back and leaves for the door.

A few steps before the entrance he gets this bad feeling so he stops and turns. Just to see the guitar wriggling loose from the wallhanger. The guitar hits a piano stool and bounces in to a beautiful white baby grand hitting the rod holding the lid open so it snaps while the lid completely crush the guitar.

Curtain!
ziss frind of yourrs, izz hizz nemm, inspector clouseau..
Old 10th February 2009
  #10
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- ➑️
Was at GS in Texas and my father and me were getting the go for a documentary and picking up 2 lav microphones. The guy disappeared being the wall to fetch the second lav mic and ~KABALOOM~ my father turned a fender passport PA system all the way up and pressed about 5 buttons ans said, NO sound? Pressed power button and KILLED IT! Right speaker blaring at volume 10 I quickly turned the rig off and scurried my pop away. The tech appeared seconds later with no idea we just killed his display model.

Second, I was at mars music asked a guy how much the Gibson was, NOT TOUCHING ANYTHING!! I pointed and the guitar came crashing down 3 levels to the ground. I asked him "Any discounts now??" he said no, the tuning peg was obliterated in a mass of tooth picks..

I walked away.

Nice work.

How dare they have gear there that could be blown up by improper use of the customers.

Serves em right.

Did you get a chance to push in all the tweeters on the display speakers ?



-Rock....315hz
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
RichS's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Sure makes me think twice before buying a store demo unit.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Corran's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
This thread has potential! More stories please...

I'm afraid I'm careful to a fault, so I've never broken anything (to my knowledge, anyway), though I would like to break somebody's face when I go to Guitar Center...
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
  #13
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS ➑️
Sure makes me think twice before buying a store demo unit.
I bought a store non demo unit because it was never tried out or used and saved over 1500.00 on a sing product. I don't always bash GC just depends.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
  #14
Gear Head
 
pseudonym's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I haven't broken anything at Guitar Center, yet. Rather, they've sold me broken things as new. I did see an obnoxious little kid put his foot through a kick drum pad on an electronic kit. Expensive? Probably not. Funny as hell though.

It also made me feel (or realize) that Guitar Center is like the musician's Wal Mart. Kids running around tearing **** up, stealing knobs off all the guitars, attempting to play the intro to Crazy Train as loud as possible for 45 minutes.
Old 11th February 2009
  #15
Lives for gear
 
ScumBum's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- ➑️
Was at GS in Texas and my father and me were getting the go for a documentary and picking up 2 lav microphones. The guy disappeared being the wall to fetch the second lav mic and ~KABALOOM~ my father turned a fender passport PA system all the way up and pressed about 5 buttons ans said, NO sound? Pressed power button and KILLED IT! Right speaker blaring at volume 10 I quickly turned the rig off and scurried my pop away. The tech appeared seconds later with no idea we just killed his display model.

Second, I was at mars music asked a guy how much the Gibson was, NOT TOUCHING ANYTHING!! I pointed and the guitar came crashing down 3 levels to the ground. I asked him "Any discounts now??" he said no, the tuning peg was obliterated in a mass of tooth picks..

I walked away.

HaHa , I wish I broke something at Guitar Center
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Grumblefoot's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I heard from a friend that woks at a gc and is a gearslut a story about a guy who came in and duct taped a 58 to a top of the line Breedlove to hear it through an amp.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Realziment's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
An employee.
Old 11th February 2009
  #18
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- ➑️
Second, I was at mars music asked a guy how much the Gibson was, NOT TOUCHING ANYTHING!! I pointed and the guitar came crashing down 3 levels to the ground. I asked him "Any discounts now??" he said no, the tuning peg was obliterated in a mass of tooth picks..
The heads on Gibsons always break off. Might as well get it out of the way at the store.
Old 11th February 2009
  #19
Gear Addict
 
markus enochson's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
that would be my mind....
Old 3rd April 2015
  #20
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
I was at GC today and picked up a cheap Fender Squier ($99). I started messing around on it when I realized that it was out of tune. Luckily I had my handy tuner in my pocket! I tuned the first 5 strings but when I got to the high E string, it wouldn't go to E. I kept trying to get the string to settle on E but it wasn't happening so I stupidly tightened the string... Then a little more... Then POP! There goes the string. I handed it to the guy at the counter and told him that someone else had broken it. XD
Old 3rd April 2015 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
lame pseudonym's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knastratt ➑️
A bit OT but very funny.

I have this friend. He's a magnetic for disaster....
Oh, God, I laughed until it hurt and then kept laughing.....
Old 3rd April 2015
  #22
Gear Guru
 
kennybro's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The only valuable thing I ever broke at GC was my long track record of not buying things there.

A few weeks ago, I needed a Boss wall wart right quick, and they were the only store with one in stock. That was painful. Now I have to start all over again.
Old 3rd April 2015
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Rob Coates's Avatar
 
19 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Not Banjo Mart but...my first time in a commercial studio, I was 14 yrs old and I ended up pulling the head right off a Neumann U67. I heard the first playback and thought...my snare needs to be louder, so I tried to pull the mic (U67) closer to my snare but I pulled the head/capsule right off it and sat there horrified.
Old 3rd April 2015 | Show parent
  #24
Lives for gear
 
_Mark's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates ➑️
Not Banjo Mart but...my first time in a commercial studio, I was 14 yrs old and I ended up pulling the head right off a Neumann U67. I heard the first playback and thought...my snare needs to be louder, so I tried to pull the mic (U67) closer to my snare but I pulled the head/capsule right off it and sat there horrified.
I don't think that anyone is going to top that.
Old 3rd April 2015
  #25
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Hopefully the statue of limitations for a lawsuit are long gone! Back when we where freshmen say 2003-2004 we would go to the one in Boston by Boston University and they had a nice big console in the studio room. Also burger king was next door so we would always have our sodas in that room. I believe it was a pro tools board or whatever. We couldn't get it to record from the mic that was setup next to it. Granted all of us where 13-14 years olds. Anyways our sodas where on the console and somehow one of them went into the faders. We quickly cleaned it up disposed our sodas and took off.
Old 3rd April 2015
  #26
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
When I was 12 there was only one music shop in my town that we used to go in after school every day - run by an incredibly grumpy old git that must have had a passion for music at some point but that had dried up just like his face and sense of humour. It was before the days of the internet so we used to go in to look at guitar tab and try and memorise a lick each of a Randy Rhoads solo from one of the books on display...anyway...after weeks of doing this he locked the door as we were trying to get out...he said 'I know its you two that are putting dirty finger marks all over my tab books'...and he got quite aggressive. I don't think our hands were any dirtier than any other 12 year olds!

So on getting home (after being locked in his shop for 40 minutes or so) I told my dad what had happened - and being a traditional Irish man (whose nickname - even though he is now 74 - is still 'Paddy Big-Hands' to his friends) instantly offered to have his own lock-in with the owner.

I explained that this was the only place we had to look at anything musical so I would rather he didn't.

About a week later - we were in town and dad was saying how he thought that my interest in music was going to be a fad but he was impressed with how much I was practising - even though he didn't really like the noises I was making and he asked what I needed to take it to the next level - so I told him and he suggested we go to the music shop.

We got in there and my dad said pick anything and everything you want - you deserve it. So, like a kid in a sweet shop...

We were there for about an hour (the owner was incredibly helpful) I chose a new guitar, a new amp and a cab, a few new pedals, new leads, straps plectrums, strings and a couple of tab books...

My dad said 'can you make me out an itemised receipt so I know exactly what I am paying for?'

After ignoring everyone else that had come into the shop in that hour the owner was busting a bollock to bend over backwards and help...

At that point, when the list was in my dad's hand and the owner was typing it all into the register - my dad waited for him to put his hand out for the money - so he grabbed it and shook it as hard as he could - the guys eyes were bulging out - and said 'thank you for all of your help - there is a music shop in huddersfield (the next town on) that treats their customers with respect and doesn't bully children - at least now I know what I need to get the lad'

And off we went...new gear...and a lesson delivered.

I was a very happy birthday boy!
Old 3rd April 2015 | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
old ghost's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvationStudios ➑️
When I was 12 there was only one music shop in my town that we used to go in after school every day - run by an incredibly grumpy old git that must have had a passion for music at some point but that had dried up just like his face and sense of humour. It was before the days of the internet so we used to go in to look at guitar tab and try and memorise a lick each of a Randy Rhoads solo from one of the books on display...anyway...after weeks of doing this he locked the door as we were trying to get out...he said 'I know its you two that are putting dirty finger marks all over my tab books'...and he got quite aggressive. I don't think our hands were any dirtier than any other 12 year olds!

So on getting home (after being locked in his shop for 40 minutes or so) I told my dad what had happened - and being a traditional Irish man (whose nickname - even though he is now 74 - is still 'Paddy Big-Hands' to his friends) instantly offered to have his own lock-in with the owner.

I explained that this was the only place we had to look at anything musical so I would rather he didn't.

About a week later - we were in town and dad was saying how he thought that my interest in music was going to be a fad but he was impressed with how much I was practising - even though he didn't really like the noises I was making and he asked what I needed to take it to the next level - so I told him and he suggested we go to the music shop.

We got in there and my dad said pick anything and everything you want - you deserve it. So, like a kid in a sweet shop...

We were there for about an hour (the owner was incredibly helpful) I chose a new guitar, a new amp and a cab, a few new pedals, new leads, straps plectrums, strings and a couple of tab books...

My dad said 'can you make me out an itemised receipt so I know exactly what I am paying for?'

After ignoring everyone else that had come into the shop in that hour the owner was busting a bollock to bend over backwards and help...

At that point, when the list was in my dad's hand and the owner was typing it all into the register - my dad waited for him to put his hand out for the money - so he grabbed it and shook it as hard as he could - the guys eyes were bulging out - and said 'thank you for all of your help - there is a music shop in huddersfield (the next town on) that treats their customers with respect and doesn't bully children - at least now I know what I need to get the lad'

And off we went...new gear...and a lesson delivered.

I was a very happy birthday boy!
Now that is just plain awesome. Hopefully the Huddersfield shop carried what you wanted as well!
Old 3rd April 2015
  #28
Lives for gear
 
S2udio's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Sounds like an episode from family guy
Peter Griffin goes to the music shop.......Hi my son chris is gonna be a rock star.
Rock star Fathers can be real Pricks !
Old 4th April 2015
  #29
Lives for gear
 
rotundness's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Never broke anything unfortunately...Worked at one in Chicago for about 2 weeks.
The manager of my department always had tons of "clients" coming in
but they almost never made a purchase.
One day I show up for my shift and my manager is looking a little disheveled.
He asks me to take a check of his down the street to a bank to cash it for him.
I tried to tell him this wouldn't work but he was really quite insistent. I got about 50 yards
from the store when I see several cop cars pulling into the parking lot.
I never made it to the bank, I stopped and turned around to see my manager being
walked out of the store in handcuffs. He had been dealing the ole white horse out of the store for months.
I got to tear up his check, does that count?
Old 4th April 2015
  #30
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
A manager at Long & McQuade (in Canada) lent me a Les Paul for a night to try it out when I was about 18 without a rental contract (He knew my dad). I dropped it on a hard floor and it shattered the finish.

What was he thinking?
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 57 views: 21408
Avatar for gpiccolini
gpiccolini 12th May 2016
replies: 295 views: 74388
Avatar for anguswoodhead
anguswoodhead 26th March 2013
replies: 1384 views: 236183
Avatar for Sanchez
Sanchez 24th June 2021
replies: 1296 views: 181913
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump