Quantcast
Just wanted to share an email exchange I had with a scammer. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Just wanted to share an email exchange I had with a scammer.
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Just wanted to share an email exchange I had with a scammer.

Below is an email exchange I had with a craigslist scammer, I was floored that he even responded beyond my second email to him. Enjoy!

Scammer:
I WANT TO KNOW IF THIS ITEM IS STILL FOR SALE?I NEED IT URGENT!PLS

Me:
Yes, it is still available. Please give me a call if you would like to come see it.

Scammer:
Hello, Thanks for you quick response and i will be buying the goods from you,i will like to tell you that i will be paying with a certified check in us dollars and as for the shipment my shipper will come for the pick up at your location upon your confirmation of receiving the payment and i don't want you to look for any other buyer.i would have love to come down for the pick up. but am not chance to do that now but am satisfy with your description of the item i will like you to give me the following so that your payment can be send.................
1....your full name to be on the check
2..your full contact address to send the payment to
3..your zip code
4.your mobile and land line
number to reach you.i will expect your mail.asap.Regards

Me:
Sure, here is the info you request:
1. Santa Claus
2. 1 North Pole Way, North Pole, Arctic Ocean
3. Zip: H0 H0 H01
4. Mobile: 1-800-GO-SANTA
Can you make the certified check in French Francs? I know you're thinking to yourself, "I thought the Franc was obsolete?"...well, if you own a time machine like I do, you could travel back and cash this certified check!!

Also, I would be glad to deliver the item to you! My time machine not only travels time, but space as well!!

I won't look for any other buyers, I'm eagerly awaiting your response!

Santa

Scammer:
Hi, I already contacted a shipper to help me pick up the item. All you just need to do for me now is the once you receive the payment you will deduct your money then send the shipping funds to the shipper via western union . I'd be sending you a check of $3000. $1000 for your payment and deduct $50 for your running around and take out the remaining money for bank transfer charges then send the rest to the shipper because he'll be picking up other items for me in your location

Me:
Is the check in French Francs? It has to be in French Francs. I haven't been able to use my time machine in some time and this is a great excuse to not only use the time machine, but also to visit France! If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast! She is a torrid lover.

Please let me know as soon as possible. I'm waiting to exhale.

Scammer: I need to tell you that the check is in US dollar not Francs...ok

Me: The deal is off then, French Francs are a must. Sorry, I will now search
for other buyers. Thank you for your interest in my goods.

Scammer: ok
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Funny stuff!! It is amazing that he kept going after the Santa bit . . . those guys are relentless.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I basically had the same email for a pair of shoes (expensive ones) I was selling last year on Craigslist. I was excited about the sale until I did a search for the email text just in case. Bastards!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A Nigerian Princess would be about the only thing that could make that conversation better... I love the ending when you thanked him for looking at your goods. It made me think of Dwight from the office trying to sell something on craigslist.....

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
wow. good to start the day with a laugh
Old 10th February 2009

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbmotorshop ➑️
Sure, here is the info you request:
1. Santa Claus
2. 1 North Pole Way, North Pole, Arctic Ocean
3. Zip: H0 H0 H01
4. Mobile: 1-800-GO-SANTA
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is the part that took it to a new level in my opinion.

Me:
Is the check in French Francs? It has to be in French Francs. I haven't been able to use my time machine in some time and this is a great excuse to not only use the time machine, but also to visit France! If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast! She is a torrid lover.

Well played sir.

Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
funny...

as soon as you see that form of syntax (or lack thereof!) alarm bells start ringing! it's just the particular way of forming a sentence - like homer simpson trying to sound intelligent or something like that.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Got the same email to a craigslist posting. I asked for cash and never heard back. He offered to pay MORE than my asking price - a BIG red flag!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTone ➑️
I am a Nigerian Princess called Hope and my heart is full of sorrow. My father passed away last month in a plane crash. Because I have rheumatoid arthritis, I'm not able to go to the bank in Europe to get the 10 million dollars my dear father has hidden there from our government. I'm looking for someone who's heart isn't full of greed and who is willing to get the money and give it to the poor and sick. I don't need it for I am dead soon for sure. Of course you can take the amount from the money your heart feels is right for this job. Because I'm tied to my bed due to my great illness, it would rest upon your shoulders to divide the money among the needy. Now if you could just cough up $2000 for the lawyer fees, give me all your personal details: name, address, tel, social security number, bank account number, your pin, color copies of your drivers licence and passport, copies of the keys to your house and car etc.
you've got a deal princess
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thats extra hilarious heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow Im really laughing over this
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm a little confused. How do they get money from you in this scam? I've always wondered that. I've gotten my fair share of those emails myself and always steered clear.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanvacha ➑️
I'm a little confused. How do they get money from you in this scam? I've always wondered that. I've gotten my fair share of those emails myself and always steered clear.
By sending you a check for 3 times what the item is worth, then asking you to forward the extra two thirds of money to their shipper. If you send them money you are out because the check they sent (that looks like a certified money order but isn't) takes about a month to bounce and by then your bank takes all YOUR money out of your account to cover their bad check.

TW
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Fantastic! I loved your clamness in dealing with this! Well done. However, up here in Canada, the postal (zip) code for Santa is HOH OHO, so according to all the little children up here, this poor guy's check would have been lost and Santa would have never been able to sell him any great gifts.

How does Santa have two addresses anyways? Does he have a slightly less Northern winter retreat in Alaska?

Cheers,
Cam
Gear Guru
If P.T. Barnum was still alive, he would be out of the circus biz and would be owner of both Craig's List and Ebay.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I get these kinds of emails all the time when I stick stuff in my local online buysell classifieds. I only sell locally to someone who's willing to come and pick it up. I don't even respond to the emails... or I do and just tell them to f*&# off.
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Me:
Is the check in French Francs? It has to be in French Francs.
Personally, I would have asked for Spanish Doubloons. They're far more liquid amongst pirates, thieves, and scoundrels.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I always tell them to not bother with a cashiers check.

Just have their "shipper" show up with cash when he comes to pick up the "item"....

Oh, that and I mention that I forward any email offering payment via cashiers check to the FBI internet fraud division.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka ➑️
Personally, I would have asked for Spanish Doubloons. They're far more liquid amongst pirates, thieves, and scoundrels.
LOL!
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Brilliant!

Quote:
Me:

Please let me know as soon as possible. I'm waiting to exhale.

Scammer: I need to tell you that the check is in US dollar not Francs...ok

Me: The deal is off then, French Francs are a must. Sorry, I will now search
for other buyers. Thank you for your interest in my goods.

Scammer: ok
hehheh
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Nice work. I guess the only place to go from there is sending the next scammer your name and address as:

Name: Special Agent ______
Address: FBI Headqarters
Langley, VA
C/O: Internet Fraud Division

I'd love to see if they continue with that one. +1 on the "Well Played, Sir"
Old 20th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
love it
Old 20th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Somewhere there is/was a website with a string of emails that lasted for weeks.
It was one of the funniest things I have ever read in my life.

I wish I could remember where that was!
Old 20th July 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey_outlaw ➑️
Nice work. I guess the only place to go from there is sending the next scammer your name and address as:

Name: Special Agent ______
Address: FBI Headqarters
Langley, VA
C/O: Internet Fraud Division

I'd love to see if they continue with that one. +1 on the "Well Played, Sir"
Right after reading this, I received an email from someone wanting my assistance in transferring money from overseas. They asked for my full name, address, and phone number.

I looked up the address for the FBI headquarters and the phone number. I gave it to them. We'll see if I hear back.
Old 20th July 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I miss messing with scammers. You can download fake western union money transfer receipts to send to the scammers and then play with them as they keep going back trying to clear the funds. I would tell them that it had a secret password like " lick my balls" that you would have to tell the teller as you hand them the receipt. I used to always get them on eBay. I had so much fun .
Old 24th July 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashez ➑️
I miss messing with scammers. You can download fake western union money transfer receipts to send to the scammers and then play with them as they keep going back trying to clear the funds. I would tell them that it had a secret password like " lick my balls" that you would have to tell the teller as you hand them the receipt. I used to always get them on eBay. I had so much fun .
How do you get them? I'm looking to buy an item on ebay but after asking a question the guy answered and purposely added he's not taking pay pal payments. So just direct debit or money transfer. He's been a member for a few years and sold quite a bit till late last year
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus TM ➑️
Somewhere there is/was a website with a string of emails that lasted for weeks.
It was one of the funniest things I have ever read in my life.

I wish I could remember where that was!
This one?

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i just received the same kind of mail today.

Usually when the mail contains the words "Items" or "goods" instead of the name of the synth (or anything else) you're selling, just don't bother to reply
Old 24th July 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I tried selling a murphy bed on craigslist awhile back and one of these assclowns tried to take me for a ride. I caught it in time, thank goodness.

The part about visiting France as a young man and having it stay with you forever is priceless.

Glad you didn't get ripped off.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…