Quantcast
Which version of Melodyne? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which version of Melodyne?
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Which version of Melodyne?

I have AutoTune Evo and I want to buy Melodyne as well, but I'm not sure what version to get. I have Pro Tools 8 and that came with "Melodyne Essential" but as the name implies, I don't think it has all the features and I don't think it has the badass algorithm. Which one should I get?

Melodyne Studio
Melodyne Cre8
Melodyne Plugin
Melodyne Uno

Does the expensive "stand alone" version also function as a plug-in?

And on that note, why would anyone want to work in a stand alone app? It seems like that just creates extra steps of importing and exporting. Isn't printing a tuned track inside Pro Tools just as good?
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
plugin is the best.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I bought the whole thing with the standalone and the plugin. Turns out all I use is the plugin.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaudio ➑️
I bought the whole thing with the standalone and the plugin. Turns out all I use is the plugin.
2nd-ed.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Funny thing, I was just last night checking the melodyne website and wondering the same. Thanks!
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
plugin fixes all my stuff.
Gear Guru

using the plug in with logic I've noticed more artifacts. When I had the stand alone I pretty much never had them
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Compared to Autotune EVO, how does Melodyne compare?

better?
worse?

And sonic quality versus ease of use?

Thanks

-a
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo ➑️
Compared to Autotune EVO, how does Melodyne compare?

better?
worse?

And sonic quality versus ease of use?

Thanks

-a
I prefer the sound quality AND ease of use of Melodyne to Autotune EVO.... but thats just for going for natural sounding. Autotune works great for hip/hop/exagerated things.... not that melodyne cant do it... its just stupid easy with Autotune.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Melodyne blows away AutoTune.

I only use the stand-alone because I can get VERY clinical with the editing if I have the time. If there isn't much time, then you can still get a great edit, and Melodyne will spot to PT for import.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor999 ➑️
I prefer the sound quality AND ease of use of Melodyne to Autotune EVO.... but thats just for going for natural sounding. Autotune works great for hip/hop/exagerated things.... not that melodyne cant do it... its just stupid easy with Autotune.
I would also think that, but I have been hearing SO many people saying that Melodyne really affects the sound quality of vocals compared to the new Auto EVO.

ANyone else confirm or deny this?

Much thanks!

-andrews
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo ➑️
I would also think that, but I have been hearing SO many people saying that Melodyne really affects the sound quality of vocals compared to the new Auto EVO.

ANyone else confirm or deny this?

Much thanks!

-andrews
Not if you know how to use it correctly. Hah. I have never been disappointed with Melodyne.

If you start hearing artifacts and loss of quality then the better solution than tuning it (with any program) was hit the record button again.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I use both the plug-in and the Studio versions. The plug-in if I just need to tweak a single vocal a bit. And the Studio version if I need to tighten up a lead vocal and harmony parts - and maybe create some doubles by changing pitch, timing and formant slightly before mixing them under the originals.

The plug-in comes free with the Studio version so you only have to buy the one.

Don
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yawn ➑️
Melodyne blows away AutoTune.
Ditto !
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaidon ➑️
Ditto !
i have to disagree. in my opinion the melodyne alogarithm is lacking a lot.
actually, i think it's unusable. just compare your original audio with the melodyned version - the high end is just destroyed.
or try pitching something like a trumpet or violin. i can hear artefacts when doing minimal adjustments (like 3-5cent).
autotune handles this stuff a lot better.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkbross ➑️
Does the expensive "stand alone" version also function as a plug-in?

And on that note, why would anyone want to work in a stand alone app?
Yes, the studio version gives you the plug-in as well

As far as separate editor, I'm not sure how protools hooks up with it, but with Cubase (on a PC) you open the "standalone" like a plug-in on a given track. It opens as a separate editor, in front of cubase and you do your work there. If you hit play, cubase and melodyne plays synced, via the Rewire software sync protocol - works out of the box. You do have to close the main window of melodyne before you can go back to cubase main window though. And you can open melodyne studio as a standalone app too, without cubase as a host; and with the plug-in you can't, you need a host. The plugin works kinda the same, it's just a heck of alot smaller and much more compressed options in it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Plugin is cool. Never used the others though.

DNA coming soon
Old 14th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Wait! Before you buy, hear me out

i was actually checking out Melodyne myself last night. Perhaps you heard or perhaps not but you may want to wait a little bit before buying. You see, celemony is about to release their latest version of melodyne plug-in which will be called melodyne editor.

with their new version, they are introducing a new crazy feature thats almost too good to be true. And it's called Direct Note Access. With this, you can take a chord from one AUDIO track and pitch correct and time correct each individual note from the chord. INSANE!

There's a video on their website for it. check it out.

Also you can change the mode of any audio you select with a couple clicks of the mouse.
You can change a major to minor chord without having to go back and track it again.

The only thing is i havent heard it myself obviously. so im not sure if its still a good sound quality after tweaking notes. but hey its a step up from melodyne plugin for free if you just wait a month or 2. so it cant hurt
πŸ“ Reply