Adaptation to the tools you have and the music you have to mix - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adaptation to the tools you have and the music you have to mix
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Adaptation to the tools you have and the music you have to mix

I see around a lot of debate between old gear and new gear, ITB vs. OTB, real tools vs. plugins. But i think that the key to great results is to adapt to the tools you have and to capture and transmit further to the listener through the mix the best qualities of the music you recorded. There are other rules like: "Simple is better" and such but they are not unbeatable. Other opinions?
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandi ➡️
I. Other opinions?
It should be the other way around.

The tools should adapt to the way you work, think and feel not the other way around.

When you have to change the way you work in order to fit a certain tool it compromises & effects everything downstream and forces you to work harder and adapt which is time, concentration & energy you could be using to give the mixes a better feel & vibe which ultimately is what matters. That is why so many people are so picky in the way they work and access information. We are all creatures of habit and after years & years of trials, successes and errors you finally develop a workflow that works best for you.

Its also why so many of us professionals fight to be in the best work, financial & artistic situations possible. The better the songs,artists,productions usually follows with the better working situations & money. These things make it possible to have the former.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Many times when recording an artist i didn't knew how the final sound will be because we were layering elements of music into mix. I think that in the old times weren't so much options and they had to adapt, to search deeper into the possibilities they could reach. almost all classic records are ingenious adaptations to the tools they had. ...IMHO
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
It should be the other way around.

The tools should adapt to the way you work, think and feel not the other way around.

When you have to change the way you work in order to fit a certain tool it compromises & effects everything downstream and forces you to work harder and adapt which is time, concentration & energy you could be using to give the mixes a better feel & vibe which ultimately is what matters. That is why so many people are so picky in the way they work and access information. We are all creatures of habit and after years & years of trials, successes and errors you finally develop a workflow that works best for you.

Its also why so many of us professionals fight to be in the best work, financial & artistic situations possible. The better the songs,artists,productions usually follows with the better working situations & money. These things make it possible to have the former
Yes, but it's silly to pose this as an either or question, and most of us do not have immediate access to ideal working conditions and equipment. I had a lot of fun with my fostex X-15 (4track cassette) back in the day. Always do the best work you can with the tools available and always reference your work to the best you can find, and eventually you aquire better gear/working conditions, one way or another, right?
📝 Reply