Quantcast
edirol fa-66 "good enough"? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
edirol fa-66 "good enough"?
Old 9th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
edirol fa-66 "good enough"?

of course, I have high aspirations, but for now, I'm a hobby musician, triggering software sampler via MIDI. I get just a bit of that annoying latency and if I reduce the sample buffer too low, I get the sound artifacts. I would really want the RME fireface400 but am not willing to spend $1200 right now.
so I wonder if edirol's FA-66 is good enough for now. keep me happy with less latency and still fairly good sound quality but for $1000 less.
any opinions?

thanks

EDIT: maybe I should rephrase: what's the best audio interface in terms of low latency for my macbook pro (2.16GHz, 2GB of Ram)
thanks

Last edited by pirco; 9th February 2009 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: specify question
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've never found any of these ASIO things to have usable latency, but one thing I should mention about the FA-66 is that it's supposed front TRS "line inputs" are NOT. The unit will run anything feeding into the front balanced input through the mic preamp. Your only line option is the unbalanced RCA inputs in the rear of the unit.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
thanks videoracer.

I am getting used to a couple of milliseconds of latency but would like to get the least latency for the least money :-)

what option other than ASIO gear is there when working with software instruments on my laptop??
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
the fa-66 is not bad for the money, i've got one. but unless you can use the digital input you only have 2 stereo/4 mono inputs rather than the advertised 6. Plus, you can't use all 6 at 192kHz. Although that doesn't bother me. I'm not sure what the previous poster was on about: the front 2 inputs have a "Hi-Z" switch if you want to use unbalanced inputs like guitars or whatever. They are a combo type input so you can also use balanced XLR inputs too which is handy for me as i sometimes do mic recordings. I wish I had more inputs now as I am gradually accumulating more drum machines etc, so think carefully - will 4 or 6 (if you include digital stereo) be enough? As for latency it's as good as anything else around, i wouldn't get hung up on that. As long as the drivers are well written and it isn't the cheapest piece of crap audio card around the latency shouldn't ever be an issue. Anyone who says anything else is talking out their ****
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirco ➑️
I am getting used to a couple of milliseconds of latency
Note also that even REAL instruments have latency similar to that of normal audio cards. But I think this topic is regularly exhausted on forums around the world!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
haha, well, latency is an issue for me cause I'm using this for a live set-up. NOT recording (I agree about latency in recording situations).
and as a drummer, it's difficult to play when you hear your sounds half a second later. but, again, I've got used to a couple of milliseconds.
except, my cheap built-in card does crackle too often..

so, thanks for the info! and I only need one stereo input!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
no prob. glad to give some info. i was hoping to get flamed by someone for my latency remark (i'm feeling cheeky today), maybe someone else can oblige heh

Also, if you really do only need 1 stereo pair of inputs perhaps you should go for something else: with the FA-66 you're paying for the other 4 inputs you don't need. Maybe someone here has a better suggestion for 2 input audio cards? I've heard really good things about NI's AudioKontrol 1. Comes with a free (f-ing good) choice of synths for the next few weeks, though maybe this isn't a deal breaker for you. Has HiZ inputs. 4 outputs. Built for DJs but might suit your needs too. Around same price as FA-66.

NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : Products : AUDIO KONTROL 1
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
yup, I'm looking at that, too. my friend actually just got one and I might be able to try it.
funny enough, I'm using ableton's LIVE, which is primarily for DJs as well but it so happens that I'm playing live (as in "performing") with a DJ so it seems to fit the idea here.

thanks again.

btw, since the price is *almost* the same, I figure the sound card of the KONTROL1 would be better than?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
i don't know what's better. i mean, the specs are superficially the same (24 bit / 192kHz). But people say the pre-amps are very important on an audio card. From what i read before i bought the fa-66 the preamps are pretty well regarded, not sure about the Native Instruments thing. In fact, one negative thing i heard about the NI unit is the software/drivers. Maybe this has been updated now but worth checking.

There are 2 things i don't like about the fa-66:
1) the position of the volume knob for inputs 3 & 4, a tiny thing on the back. It's really fiddly.
2) if you want to change the FA-66's driver details (buffer), or sample rate, you have to switch machine off and on again before settings take effect.

Good things: the front panel is nicely arranged, with 2 volume knobs for 1 & 2 inputs, Hi-Z button, mono switch, direct monitoring mix knob, master volume knob, phones input (there's only 1 compared to NI's 2 headphone input if this is important to you). Nicely built, solid. I take it to band practice room every week and has been gigging, built like a German tank. Looks nice, maybe not as nice as NI though.

Weird stuff: the Soft Control button doesn't seem to do anything though, never quite found out what it's for!

FYI I also use Live & Windows XP, FA-66 works nicely with this setup, never had any problems with it in 13 months of ownership. I'd just like more inputs. But that = more cash. Would rather buy new "toys" ie stuff that makes cool sounds!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
hey if you want mine, im selling it for 200...i LOVE it but i just got some free gear from a friend so i have no need for it anymore...
it sounds pretty good for the money!

i used it for a month, lightly.

let me know if you want it!

thanks!
evan

Email me

[email protected]
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
ps, i use a macbook pro as well, and it lines up perfectly...no problems whatso ever with the drivers.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
what are you selling, etcd32, KONTROL1 or FA-66?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
FA-66

i use it for midi alot with my Alesis micron, love it for that as well.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'm also happy with my FA-66 in combination with my macbook.

I'm using it to record at home and it does the job for me. At this moment I don't have the gear to hear what could be better, but it seems to do it's job ok.

I'm also using it live in my band with MainStage, which goes really well. Next step is to also try using it as vocal effects unit (also by using MainStage). It's a sturdy box which i fully believe would survive many gigs.

Only thing i don't like is the RCA inputs on the back. I would have loved balanced 1/4" inputs there.
Old 31st March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemanontelly ➑️

There are 2 things i don't like about the fa-66:
1) the position of the volume knob for inputs 3 & 4, a tiny thing on the back. It's really fiddly.
2) if you want to change the FA-66's driver details (buffer), or sample rate, you have to switch machine off and on again before settings take effect.

Weird stuff: the Soft Control button doesn't seem to do anything though, never quite found out what it's for!
I agree with all above, one other thing i dont like about is

You can't output to 4 speakers at one time plus when you do use output 3&4 you lose the volume control on the FA66 and have to do this within your DAW but you can use the headphone jack as an output aswell with output 1&2 if you want.

And also, the control panel aint great, it don't display the latancy, you have to use your daw to see what the latancy is

Softcontrol is:

The FA-101 / FA-66's DIRECT MONITOR SOFT CONTROL function allows the FA-101 / FA-66's direct monitor mixer to be controlled from an ASIO2.0 compliant application.

Turn this the DIRECT MONITOR SOFT CONTROL switch on (pressed inward) if you want the direct monitor mixer be controlled from your ASIO-compliant application rather than from the FA-101 / FA-66 itself.

When this switch is on, your ASIO-compliant application can control the monitor volume, pan, and monitor on/off settings for each of the FA-101 / FA-66's input jacks.

** This function is available only when using Windows.

If this function is turned off, all direct monitor mixer settings controlled from your ASIO-compliant application will be ignored, and the input from all input jacks will be monitored without change. By temporarily disabling all the settings made by your software, you can directly monitor the input signal, regardless of the volume settings etc. in your application. This is convenient when you're checking the audio connections of your device.

Never used this either, im thinking of upgrading to something that can output to 4 speakers at once and has at least 1 stereo input with good latancy anyone got any recomendations

Thanks

Jay
πŸ“ Reply