MCI JH-416 Restauration - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MCI JH-416 Restauration
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Manual on ebay

Hey, mono-poly, tubesandtapes, and Monkeyt.

Would you guys be interested in going in together on the manual (not you Todd, I just need your scanner)? I could buy it now for $100, have it sent to Monkeyt to scan it and have you two other guys paypal me $33 a piece. Then we've all got a copy and for a third of the price. What do you think?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➑️
Hey, mono-poly, tubesandtapes, and Monkeyt.

Would you guys be interested in going in together on the manual (not you Todd, I just need your scanner)? I could buy it now for $100, have it sent to Monkeyt to scan it and have you two other guys paypal me $33 a piece. Then we've all got a copy and for a third of the price. What do you think?

Ok kids with the 400....
I'll play santa. I just bought one of the manuals off eBay. Scrape together some cash and paypal me, we'll share the cost.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ok cool i am in.
Email me a paypaladress for the $33.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
48V phantom

There is no 48v phantom power in those power supplies. Phantom is supplied thru a stand-alone 48v phantom power supply that hooks to the phantom power rails on the left hand back side of the console. I believe 4th pair of screws down...should be labeled though and easy to find.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyt ➑️
Ok kids with the 400....
I'll play santa. I just bought one of the manuals off eBay. Scrape together some cash and paypal me, we'll share the cost.
Pm'ed you
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaels ➑️
There is no 48v phantom power in those power supplies. Phantom is supplied thru a stand-alone 48v phantom power supply that hooks to the phantom power rails on the left hand back side of the console. I believe 4th pair of screws down...should be labeled though and easy to find.
Yeah, I noticed those screws on the left hand side that were labeled for 48v. So how is the phantom power actually applied? I don't see any buttons on the console that turn it off and on. How would one go about using phantom on these boards?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yeah, I noticed those screws on the left hand side that were labeled for 48v. So how is the phantom power actually applied? I don't see any buttons on the console that turn it off and on. How would one go about using phantom on these boards?
get a 48v supply, hook it up. the console has global phantom pwr.

-c
($10 says the next question is about ribbon mics )
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnash ➑️
get a 48v supply, hook it up. the console has global phantom pwr.

-c
($10 says the next question is about ribbon mics )
I was under the impression that one of three psu's I've got was for phantom. Even when the phantom psu is hooked up, is there a way to cut it on and off from the front of the console? And yes, my next question would be about ribbons as I use a ton of them. You know, to be honest with you, the only condensors I ever really use is a pair of Oktava mk-012's. It'd probably be easier to just use a two channel standalone unit or one of my other outboard pres in situations where I need the phantom. But still, any thoughts on this matter?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I was under the impression that one of three psu's I've got was for phantom. Even when the phantom psu is hooked up, is there a way to cut it on and off from the front of the console? And yes, my next question would be about ribbons as I use a ton of them. You know, to be honest with you, the only condensors I ever really use is a pair of Oktava mk-012's. It'd probably be easier to just use a two channel standalone unit or one of my other outboard pres in situations where I need the phantom. But still, any thoughts on this matter?
the 3 supplies that you have do not provide phantom:

1) +/- 24 for audio (some modded down to 18 volts for 5534's)
2) +/- 24 for relays
3) +/- 24 for lights (dropped down at console)

there is no (stock) way to turn phantom on/off at the console or channel strip. typically when i install any console with global phantom i'll de-activate the phantom on a few channels for the use of ribbon mics (even though phantom does not actually harm ribbon mics- that's a false-hood, but it can lead to situations where damage can occur and/or adversely affect the sound of ribbon mics, which is why it's not recommended to use with ribbons). in your situation i wouldn't get a supply since you have 2 condensors an many ribbons, unless you're going to have outside engineers in who will use more condensors than you.

oh, and 400 series doesn't have mic patching, but there are easy enough ways around that.

-chris
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
the 3 supplies that you have do not provide phantom:

1) +/- 24 for audio (some modded down to 18 volts for 5534's)
2) +/- 24 for relays
3) +/- 24 for lights (dropped down at console)

there is no (stock) way to turn phantom on/off at the console or channel strip. typically when i install any console with global phantom i'll de-activate the phantom on a few channels for the use of ribbon mics (even though phantom does not actually harm ribbon mics- that's a false-hood, but it can lead to situations where damage can occur and/or adversely affect the sound of ribbon mics, which is why it's not recommended to use with ribbons). in your situation i wouldn't get a supply since you have 2 condensors an many ribbons, unless you're going to have outside engineers in who will use more condensors than you.

oh, and 400 series doesn't have mic patching, but there are easy enough ways around that.

-chris
I kind of like standalone phantom units anyway. That way there's no danger of shooting 48v down the wrong path. I've been meaning to get a standalone unit anyway and just use it out next to the mics.

I"m not sure if I understand what you meant by mic patching? My plans are to just keep my snake wired in and switch out mics on whatever channel I need them. I was thinking though.... I should be able to put my outboard pres on the patchbay. Oh wait, is that what you meant by mic patching? Are you saying that the mic lines go straight to the MCI pres instead of to the patchbay first, meaning that I won't be able to patch in a different outboard pre instead?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Are you saying that the mic lines go straight to the MCI pres instead of to the patchbay first, meaning that I won't be able to patch in a different outboard pre instead?
yep- that's what mic patching is. (or in your case, isn't!)

depending on how you work, and what your outboard pre situation is, there are a few ways to approach the mic patching thing on the 400s. it can be added too.

-chris
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
yep- that's what mic patching is. (or in your case, isn't!)

depending on how you work, and what your outboard pre situation is, there are a few ways to approach the mic patching thing on the 400s. it can be added too.

-chris
I'll probably just integrate my current patchbay into the mix and figure out a way to patch in outboard pres there. I'm not sure if I'm quite ready to alter the 416 so that mic lines go to the patchbay first. Maybe later on.
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i have a 428B and one of the (many)things we did was add the mic lines in the patch bay.
cant wait til its all done.
Old 23rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Did anyone see that jh-416 coming up for sale on analogconsole.com?
I love to buy it with someone and chop it up for spares.
I could use 8 input channels and some vu-meters and other spares are welcome to.
Old 3rd March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

hmmm guess he ended the auction. I was really considering buying it, but I think the price was getting "artificially bumped up" So I hate to bid on auctions like that.

Ohhh well... with all these cheap/free MCI 400's getting thrown around here, maybe someone will fling one my way!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hey monkeyt

are you going to buy all MCI desks you can put hands on?????
heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm trying to!!!!!!!

I love them. I think of them like puppies from the pound. I wanna take them home and clean them up!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm trying to!!!!!!!

I love them. I think of them like puppies from the pound. I wanna take them home and clean them up!
Even the 600's? Because they seem to be the odd man out usually in these discussions about MCI's.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Even the 600's? Because they seem to be the odd man out usually in these discussions about MCI's.
nope... I had a 600 didn't like it.
The 400/500 are the only things I'm really interested in now.

Why doesn't everybody just send their 400's to me and I'll overhaul them and refurb them!!!!
Old 4th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Why doesn't everybody just send their 400's to me and I'll overhaul them and refurb them!!!!
I think there is duo of guys who do that already that have been trained by the masters.
sometimes it pays to pay for knowledge guys
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Didn't realize I had to live in Nashville to love MCI consoles!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
You must mean Brian Roth! Nice guy! Hell of a tech. www.brianroth.com
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattallen ➑️
I think there is duo of guys who do that already that have been trained by the masters.
sometimes it pays to pay for knowledge guys
Quote:
Didn't realize I had to live in Nashville to love MCI consoles!
the love of MCI transcends geography, politics, creed and social standing. lol

i think what matt was trying to get across is that we've been working very hard over the past years on mci stuff (20 yrs mci experience between the two of us, and we're 34 & 25 respectively) and really love, love, love it. we've restored/recapped/repaired dozens of 400, 500 and 600 consoles, as well as jh16s, jh24s and jh110s (and 3M machines too) for people in several different countries. we've got this great big building with a loading dock (and a vintage MCI-based studio) and people are shipping us their ebay.craiglist deals for us to totally refurb/restore and test consoles and tape machines....and we don't charge an arm and a leg. (we also travel all over the place too.)

reading threads like this is fun, yet worry-some. i admire the do-it-yourself spirit, but the irony is that without supporting niche guys like us, sooner or later these message boards are going to be all that's left. even more ironic is the likelihood that people on these threads (as engineers/studio owners) have spent time with potential clients explaining the need for your services as studios/engineers/producers so you can make a living. that's all matt was trying to say.

so anyway, we're called "no brainer audio" and we use our studio "welcome to 1979" www.welcometo1979 as our testing ground for all of our MCI experiments. if you have a MCI question, we most likely have the answer- from lineage to what mods we suggest (there are very few of them) to what tape formulation/speed works best on XX model machine- and would love to hear from you.

-chris mara
(615) 476-6272
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaels ➑️
You must mean Brian Roth! Nice guy! Hell of a tech. Brian Roth Technical Services
Straight up guy right there!
He's a little busy at the moment, but he always trys to make time!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
the love of MCI transcends geography, politics, creed and social standing. lol

i think what matt was trying to get across is that we've been working very hard over the past years on mci stuff (20 yrs mci experience between the two of us, and we're 34 & 25 respectively) and really love, love, love it. we've restored/recapped/repaired dozens of 400, 500 and 600 consoles, as well as jh16s, jh24s and jh110s (and 3M machines too) for people in several different countries. we've got this great big building with a loading dock (and a vintage MCI-based studio) and people are shipping us their ebay.craiglist deals for us to totally refurb/restore and test consoles and tape machines....and we don't charge an arm and a leg. (we also travel all over the place too.)

reading threads like this is fun, yet worry-some. i admire the do-it-yourself spirit, but the irony is that without supporting niche guys like us, sooner or later these message boards are going to be all that's left. even more ironic is the likelihood that people on these threads (as engineers/studio owners) have spent time with potential clients explaining the need for your services as studios/engineers/producers so you can make a living. that's all matt was trying to say.

so anyway, we're called "no brainer audio" www.nobraineraudio.com and we use our studio "welcome to 1979" www.welcometo1979 as our testing ground for all of our MCI experiments. if you have a MCI question, we most likely have the answer- from lineage to what mods we suggest (there are very few of them) to what tape formulation/speed works best on XX model machine- and would love to hear from you.

-chris mara
(615) 476-6272
Thats cool. I'm just trying to be helpful. I've been finding most of these guys buying off eBay or CL have spent there last dime just buying the console. Then realize the thing needs repair/cables/clean/refurb whatever. Hell, I've now had seven guys ask me for copies of the 400 manual!!!

I'm 35 myself. Unlike most guys my age, I started in analog way back when. I've owned and worked on MANY of these large format consoles and realize what an undertaking it is to make/keep them functional.

This is just fun for me kids, I believe in offering up knowledge. Like I said, I'm just trying to help.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
whell let me say I made 1 mci 532 out of nothing and didnot have many ppl to ask about info on this mci desks

also I fully restaurated 2 MCI 528 and now foruth is on the way

also I racked about 4 mci racks ..single channels , stereo and one 7 channels lounch box

so I know some stuff about MCI 500 serie and little about MCI 400 serie....

I offer my knowlage for free..... I only charge my work if I do something...

so as MonkeyT Im here to help as much as I can !!!
Old 6th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Straight up guy right there!
He's a little busy at the moment, but he always trys to make time!!!!
Yeah I gotta give that guy a big thumbs up for SURE and could talk for hours about his abilities. He came out here year before last when we commissioned the 416 and stayed a WEEK sleeping on the tracking room floor with the Rottweilers.

Flew him back out here in Feb for 3 days and he fixed all the stuff wrong that had flummoxed others and myself (which isn't hard) in less than 45 minutes and didn't even turn on the console. Diodes! Then spent the rest of the 3 days he was here nit-picking each channel and replacing wrong resistors people had put in them over the years that was making some weird volume discrepancies between channels. It is SMOKIN' now. Tore API faders down to their bare parts and fixed them as well. Well I fixed one but didn't know I did..lol Doesn't have a problem explaining something multiple times for idiots like myself and I find that refreshing. I couldn't do that!!

In his downtime he did parts research and supplied me with all the parts numbers form Mouser I'd need to get - THEN while I was sleeping he put all the parts in my Mouser project!!!!! All I hadta do was click "Order".

He goes WAYYYY beyond the call of duty.
Old 6th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here's a place where BA Roth moderates a MCI forum:

Analog Console Forum • Index page

He's definitely a mad man.

I've had equipment that was broke FIX ITSELF as I dialed BA's phone number... He said, "Hello" and the gear started working again!

Broken gear fears him. He's that good!
Old 19th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
mci-jh-416 manual

here's a link to the mci jh-416 manual if it helps...

http://mixonline.com/online_extras/M...6-brochure.pdf
πŸ“ Reply