Wurlitzer 214 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wurlitzer 214
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Wurlitzer 214

Hey folks,

I know I ought to head to a wurlitzer forum, but I wanted to know if any of you guys have experience with the 214 in your studio, which is just like the 200A, but with built in speakers -- as far as I know.

1. Do they record well? What is the best way to track one? Mics at the grill? Yes, I know, "try it out and figure it out" is always the best, but I don't have one yet, and I'm considering purchasing one soon. Not just to have in my studio, but because I am in love with only a few sounds: A sultry pedal steel guitar, and, the 200A wurlitzer. When the seller approached me with a 214 -- I began to salivate.

2. How much do you think these generally sell for? I've found people posting as late as 2006 in certain places that they got them for $350-$700. I know the 200As usually go for $1200-$1500 online (even in beat-up shape). The seller is asking no less than $1,100 (for his black 214) and claims mint condition and tuned. I'll be playing it this week sometime to try it out, but that's beside the point -- no matter what the quality, is it worth $1,100 being that it isn't a 200A?

Thanks for taking the time to read/answer. Any response to either 1 or 2 is appreciated.

Best,

Jon
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have a 215V which had the console with four 8-inch speakers. Same basic setup. You can mic the speakers. They would be fine for studio use. I needed the space and wanted to use external amps exclusively so I chopped the base and one day will mount the speakers in a separate enclosure.

Most 200a are in worse shape than the other models because they were gigged. That said, they always command the highest price because they are so portable. I think $1100 is a premium price, so it better be in tiptop shape. I paid a lot less for my 215V but it was from a colleague.

The advantage over buying a 206 classroom model is the tremolo is intact so no mods need to be made.

BTW even if it's in tune the regulation may need some work. Any piano tech can do it and it really helps with the slop in the action. It is just a matter of tightening some screws but is not for the faint at heart because the wooden parts are fragile and can be damaged if you have no idea what to do.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…