🎧 15 years
Sound effects for a song about the moon/late nighttime

My list so far... just to show my lack of imagination :

Howling wolves
Crickets
Owls
nightingales

-

I thought about having a wander round my neighbourhood with my Zoom H2, to try and capture that unique "night time reverb/ambience" or "the sound of silence"

Andy ideas?
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Do that in my neighborhood and you'll hear the distant thud of car sound systems, the whining drone of our not-so-stealthy-but-fabulously expensive "stealth" police helicopters and -- if it's stormy weather and it's late at night, you might even hear the ocean hitting the sand a few hundred yards away. But all too often it blends with the traffic on nearby Pacific Coast Highway... [sigh]

I vote for crickets and maybe a frog or two, depending on the ambience intended. The wolf... too much of a cliche. Plus... when's the last time y'all had wolves in the Isles?
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Maybe a bell tower?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➡️
Do that in my neighborhood and you'll hear the distant thud of car sound systems, the whining drone of our not-so-stealthy-but-fabulously expensive "stealth" police helicopters and -- if it's stormy weather and it's late at night, you might even hear the ocean hitting the sand a few hundred yards away. But all too often it blends with the traffic on nearby Pacific Coast Highway... [sigh]

I vote for crickets and maybe a frog or two, depending on the ambience intended. The wolf... too much of a cliche. Plus... when's the last time y'all had wolves in the Isles?
I swear heard a bear the other night!

Your neighbourhood is much like mine! But I can find some quiet spots not too far away!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How about Racoons going thru the trash
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
How about the lonesome wind blowing?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➡️
Do that in my neighborhood and you'll hear the distant thud of car sound systems, the whining drone of our not-so-stealthy-but-fabulously expensive "stealth" police helicopters and --
Boy tell me about it. I was recording 'cello last night in my living room in residential Glendale, layering up bunch of tracks, but I think I'm going to have to call the piece "Notar Symphony".
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson ➡️
How about the lonesome wind blowing?
Or howling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmankr
How about Racoons going thru the trash
Only mangy foxes here! Doing exactly that cos the bin men didn't turn up again heh
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I was gonna say... I was pretty sure our furry bandits are a N. American phenom.

FWIW, in my old house -- only a few blocks from where Snoop Dog's mom used to live before he bought her a condo somewhere up in the Valley -- we had o'possums and a good-sized racoon. Maybe not the biggest I ever saw, but certainly the biggest I think I've ever seen in the city.

I was in my garage one night and I thought some kids had got on the roof. It sounded like a couple of 12 year olds. (A handful of neighborhood kids had set up a little 'fort' under the drooping branches of neighbor's avocado tree that loomed above the garage.)

I ran outside with my cop flashlight (the Mag light that takes 5 big-ass D cells... it's all about the weight) expecting to see the neighborhood wayward youth -- but what I got was a big ol racoon jumping from my garage roof to my neighbors and then making an amazing jump down onto the top edge of the fence -- about 3" in width -- which he scurried down and then jumped off.

Wild.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Rain or rain drops, river flow, wind, wood cracking (as a tree), waves or a combination of any to achive subjection. Really don´t know the mood of the melody so it´s hard to suggest. I think a combination of a sort will get you a scene faster. Think of it as a screenplay and you are the director.

I have a CD somewhere and don´t remeber the artist where the percusion did the rhythm with splashing small waves. For some reason, when you splash water with your hands (at the sea), your right hand sounds different then the left, due to force, impact or what ever. So this percusion or who ever it was took this to his advantage and created a ritmic part. I can see this done with a large enough baby tub filled with water, enough for both hands to fit in. If you really wanna get sluty, make a box out of maple, or birch and fill it with water, not to rim so you have the sides to splash on.

The scene was, this water percusion, arppegio guitar, wind and wood cracking as it was a ship. If you cue to a arppegio guitar (don´t know the melody), for example, you can creat a ritmic part from there with that water method. This guy did... Experiment!

Well, just food for thought.

Best,

Mike
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Diesel train horn.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
^ Nice one Mike... I caught the rain tonight thumbsup 2112 - Rush fan?

And pjwhite - I actually did get a train horn tonight! thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A couple summers ago I took some SDCs outside with a mic pre and portable recorder and just let it run. We have a lot of various bugs making noise in the evening here in midwest America and I figured it would be some nice white noise to put somewhere.

After letting it run for half an hour at 24/48 with a nominal level of -6db, I got what I felt was some great noise. I compressed it a bit and put it on the stereo at home to listen to. When I got right about to the end, I could very faintly hear my neighbor across the street screaming at her husband.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Whenever I hear a sound affect in a song, (which is very rarely) it takes me out of the song as a listener (unless it's on the seque in or out.) I have amateurs in my studio who want to put sound affects on their songs, but professionals? Never.

However, in your case, the image of the moon would bring to mind the sound of the sky, which, for me, would be a synth pad with those little sparkly sounds interspersed.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 ➡️
^ Nice one Mike... I caught the rain tonight thumbsup 2112 - Rush fan?
hmm... What gave me away Yes! Since the Hemesphere years and I still follow there music, always will I think. Man, I´am getting old...

Glad your having fun!

Best,

Mike
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan ➡️
Whenever I hear a sound affect in a song, (which is very rarely) it takes me out of the song as a listener (unless it's on the seque in or out.) I have amateurs in my studio who want to put sound affects on their songs, but professionals? Never.

However, in your case, the image of the moon would bring to mind the sound of the sky, which, for me, would be a synth pad with those little sparkly sounds interspersed.
I know what you mean - In this case it would be a gentle intro and outro fade out.

Perhaps some more cosmic William Orbit (no pun intended) "satellite" bleeps/spaceman type static-y sounds with LFO modulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2deep2112
the Hemesphere years
Yes! - Hemispheres >>> Moving Pictures for me!

So where is 3 deg from earth? Are you the man in the moon? Or maybe Major Tom?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Not to far... Spain, where the rain is the same Lovely weather and food, fun people.
📝 Reply