Quantcast
Avantone CK-40 or Telefunken ELA M 270... Omni=oxymoron?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avantone CK-40 or Telefunken ELA M 270... Omni=oxymoron??
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Avantone CK-40 or Telefunken ELA M 270... Omni=oxymoron??

Folks, I don't get this.

The Avantone CK-40 has very good reviews, and some here seem to consider it a good piece of gear.
It's obviously modelled after the Telefunken ELA M 270, only it's priced roughly $15,400 cheaper. Fine by me.

But here's what. For those who are not familiar with this design, both the avantone and the Telefunken sport two capsules mounted one on top of the other, with the upper one rotating up to 270 degrees, and both are offering a 3-pos variable polar pattern. The idea is to be able to set them both cardio for coincident XY stereo, both figure-of-eight for blumlein setup or figure-of-eight / cardio for MS. I recently used a Telefunken of the same kind for drums overhead, and it's simply a great, great design. Whatever technique you use, no more phase issues.

But the omni pattern? WTF? Of course, you can use a single diaphragm to have an omni single mic, but TWO OMNI VERTICALLY ALIGNED? Isn't that an oxymoron? What kind of stereo does that provide? Granted, omnis have some directionality on the highest range, but come on... enough to create a stereo field? Ignorance is bliss, but this ain't a Mary Poppins world here, so I'd like to know.

Of course,I don't imagine a second that the guys at Telefunken had no clue , but I'm puzzled. Thanx for your enlightment.
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
If I had one of these dudey Telefunkens (and it's a looong way off, let me tell you...) then after messing with options for xy/blumlein/M-S, I'd probably play with an i-just-made-it-up parallell processing thing:

Place mic a couple of feet from Drum kit in an awesome room.
Set one capsule to omni, one to cardioid.
Record the result to two tracks, crushing the crap out of your omni signal.
Blend to taste your focussed, up front signal and your mashed, room-heavy omni with no phase issues.

I would like to see how this sounds. My point is, it could be cool for different stereo OR mono tricks.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Golly, that's brillant. Thanx!
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I just used my CK-40 for a choral concert last night. It was at the quarter-sticked open lid of the piano. When there was an accompanist, it captured an amazing-- thrilling!-- extremely detailed and revealing version of what the player was doing. For the groups that had no accompanist, I cranked the gain and got a beautiful rendition of the chorus on the risers.

These days it's always set at 90 degrees, both caps cardioid, but once on a whim I set both caps omni and stuck it right in under the fully-sticked lid of a piano, as a gruelling acid test or something, and it sounded great, rich and blooming and washy like enveloping you in that cuddly, dense, magical piano sound.

There's just something about two-point recordings, even in omni from the same point, that sounds realer and truer than the same thing from one mic.
Old 7th November 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
How do these mics compare to the Sony C-800G in terms of rap vocals
Old 7th November 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Hang on- let me get my popcorn.
That was a 2 1/2 year bump?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb ➑️
Hang on- let me get my popcorn.
That was a 2 1/2 year bump?
Indeedy. Couldn't help to save my life.
run, megalodon
An oxymoron is a figure of speech that composed of contradictory terms. Like "living dead."
πŸ“ Reply