Quantcast
question about Euphonix's controllers - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
question about Euphonix's controllers
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I'd go with a mc control and a mix if you're thinking of buying two (thats what i've got here) the control gives you more control from the surface over shortcuts ect.. than the mix, though if I only had one I'd probably go with a mix.
Feels a hell of a lot better than mixing with a mouse, also a huge benefit of 2 units is being able to edit eq plugs on 2 tracks at the same time.

If you can afford it these are great. Nothing else like it for the price.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
:)

thank you andiwand ...

I have reinstall Logic 8 without the conntent and the 1.2.4 dmg from the Euphonix website. I follow this steps:

I would quit the Euphonix EuControl, start logic, then start the EuControl but just the first time. Let logic come up. Set logic to not open up a song by default. Quit logic then start EuControl, turn on your console and wait for it to boot, and then start logic. should be good to go from there. Open a song.

the problem was Logic Update 8.0.2.. with 8.0.0 works fine ))
I'm very happy and impressed from this toy!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
well, i run logic 8.02 with no problem here. just to let you know
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i do get the feeling that the MC Control is best as a second unit.. i do like using the keyboard and am quite happy to use key commands from it. methinks a mix and keyboard are a nice little combination

does anyone know if i can use 2 mix units without a control unit?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
yes you can, u need a ethernet switch
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
ok, so here's another little question:

if i only got one, should it be the MC Control or mix? i'm liking the 8 faders on the mix, but would i really benefit from the control's er.. control, since i already do like using my computer keyboard?

what does everyone here think?
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I am almost ready to get a mc control and 2 mix's instead of the C24 i was going to get. Does this sound like a good idea to anyone else? Can these things mix in surround?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
apparently you can configure them to do this, but i don't know how. it looks like the more elaborate MC surface (not artists series) is better for that... though i may be wrong!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-the-sax ➑️
apparently you can configure them to do this, but i don't know how. it looks like the more elaborate MC surface (not artists series) is better for that... though i may be wrong!

HUGE price increase with that though.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Soft Knobs + Ultrabeat

I'm using MC Control from two days. Everithing works fine for now. I begun to create my sounds on Instruments with Soft Knobs. But I have a problem with Ultrabeat. The other instruments are fully controlable (all parameters) but when i select the Ultrabeat i have just 7 parameters on the Soft Knobs and they are for the Sequencer: Power - on/off ; Start-Stop ; Voice - Step ; Lenght ; Resolution ; Pattern Mode ; Voice mute mode.
Is it an update problem or i must set something else ?!?!?!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
get mix if you only get 1. what i did. feels great. nice to find levels on a drum pack. bv:s or whatever...
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
hmm, yes i was thinking that actually.

ANYONE SELLING ONE HERE?!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus enochson ➑️
get mix if you only get 1. what i did. feels great. nice to find levels on a drum pack. bv:s or whatever...

So them 4 extra faders of the mix really outweigh the touchscreen of the mc?
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
why would u?
Old 24th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
a tricky one... but it's a question of "am i really going to use the capabilities of the mc control?"

i know my QWERTY keyboard well, so i don't see why i'd need to assign hot keys to a touch screen... i just want to make sure i'm not missing something crucial here!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
well, up to you of course but i guess when i get my second unit it most likely gonna be a control rather than an other mc mix
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
a tricky one... but it's a question of "am i really going to use the capabilities of the mc control?"

i know my QWERTY keyboard well, so i don't see why i'd need to assign hot keys to a touch screen... i just want to make sure i'm not missing something crucial here!
I thought exactly the same thing until I got my hands on the MC Control, and it's scary how fast the QWERTY keyboard becomes unnecessary. I was using the touch screen buttons to control sequences of key commands, almost like macros. This actually ended up being a massive time saver, especially in Final Cut where you tend to repeat the same functions over and over again. If it were me, I'd go for both the Control and the Mix, at least so you have transport controls.

I tend to think of the Mix as the portable half of the Control & Mix combination, so you could take out the MC Mix with your laptop and Logic and get it back to the studio, hook up the MC Control and start editing with extra control. I know it's not intended that way, but it seems like an obvious way to use it to me.

I don't know if it will help or not, but one of our audio guys here took the Mix and Control home for a while and ended up writing a review for our Broadcast portal. You can find it here - hopefully you'll find it useful.

Cheers,

Mark
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
a little ot

so i guess i'm getting the mc control... good review thanks for posting. i must say i'm pretty much blown away how well the mc mix integrates to logic...

my daw of choice is pt since i run a pt hd studio, but at home i use m powered (plus live logic 8) for compability... i was running both programs at the studio since way back in the day.

my first music sequencer was dr t on atari (does anyone run that sucesfully emulated on mac, pls pm me if so) and then on to the notables cubase on pc cubase vst (first computer audio prg, onto protools at 3 logic at 3 and for a long time i was so dependant on logic. it was not until 6.4 i prefered protools again. (i was using logic tdm as a front though) pt 8 really makes me want euphonix and pt agree to do eucon otherwise i will go back to logic just because the integration with logic is so crazy slick and fantastic!!!!!!

i doubt that true eucon support is coming to pt which is a shame because its REALLY the best controller out there if you consider the price tag. you have almost icon level of integration with logic... i cant stop praising this one

AND i am not in anyway form of shape affiliated with euphonixs... actualy i think the swedish dist dont like me very much cause way back in the day i adviced a studio i was working in not to get a cs3000

hugs and kisses
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Any rumors on Windows support?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrickaby ➑️
I thought exactly the same thing until I got my hands on the MC Control, and it's scary how fast the QWERTY keyboard becomes unnecessary. I was using the touch screen buttons to control sequences of key commands, almost like macros. This actually ended up being a massive time saver, especially in Final Cut where you tend to repeat the same functions over and over again. If it were me, I'd go for both the Control and the Mix, at least so you have transport controls.

I tend to think of the Mix as the portable half of the Control & Mix combination, so you could take out the MC Mix with your laptop and Logic and get it back to the studio, hook up the MC Control and start editing with extra control. I know it's not intended that way, but it seems like an obvious way to use it to me.

I don't know if it will help or not, but one of our audio guys here took the Mix and Control home for a while and ended up writing a review for our Broadcast portal. You can find it here - hopefully you'll find it useful.

Cheers,

Mark
that was actually quite useful. but it's amazing how those 4 extra faders can make such a difference! oh, decisions, decisions.

*actually if i had the cash i'd go for the Smart AV Tango :p
Old 25th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
that was actually quite useful. but it's amazing how those 4 extra faders can make such a difference! oh, decisions, decisions.

*actually if i had the cash i'd go for the Smart AV Tango :p
I've recently had the pleasure of using both and it's a tough decision isn't it?! They're both great at what they do. The Tango is an awesome controller for your DAW - in its price range, I'd say there's nothing that even comes close, but it's exactly the same with the MC Control and Mix. You just can't get that sort of integration for the same price.

It largely depends on what you want to do with it. Having the Euphonix systems control any forward-facing Mac application is a really useful feature. I haven't ever met anyone who was disappointed with them!
Old 25th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
all we gotta worry about is bugs. other than that seems a good thing

now.. if only i can find a good condition second hand unit!
Old 28th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I would say the Mix is the better choice if you are only getting one. I just set up both tonight and have been laying down tracks and playing with effects and some mixes. The mix is sweet for getting into plugs and banking 8 faders at a time is nice. The control is cool but this unit is alittle too good to be true as far as really getting super deep into some software. I would say getting 2 mixes is tempting because you do have alot of control with them. My screen flickers a bit but not all the time and its only noticeable when you are looking right down at it. How many of you control owners have the flicker issue? Just wondering because a guy at Euphonix today told me to swap for another unit. If most controls have the wierd screen no sense in maybe getting another that is worse.
Old 28th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I have four mixes

I have four mixes after having three and an MC control. I found the mc control to be hardly an iphone in sensitivity and found I really had to push hard. I think mine was faulty. I sent it back for that reason but opted for another mix as I was getting confused of what my tracks were with mc control having to look up at the screen to see what they are. I just use it for faders mostly and solo mute.
Old 1st March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i've borrowed an mc control for a little while and have lived with it for a day or two, doing final automation passes and reverb adjustments.

i'll get the bad out the way first:

i find making macro commands very cumbersome, and they don't really work the way i want them too - e.g., Create Tracks / 4 / RETURN does not really create 4 new tracks, it just opens a new window in Logic or causes something to become very unhappy and quit. very odd. i also find that one has to use the mouse too often to take advantage of operations like fader assignments (groups). unless, of course i'm doing something wrong here.
if left idle for some time, i may have to restart the computer to get the MC Control working again. and why is there no option for "latch" when cycling through automation options??!!

i was also hoping to be able to assign individual tracks to faders (Γ  la MC Pro) from the unit itself, but as you have to go into the Eucontrol panel, for the time it takes it looks like more trouble than it's worth - not very spur of the moment.

the good:

automation / level adjustment on faders is an amazing experience after having mixed with a mouse all my life. have a jog wheel is also very useful in terms of fine tuning automation passes and checking passages, and there is no chance of clicking the mouse in an automation lane by mistake instead of moving the time-line! although these are small details, they do save on time and it has brought my latest mix to life.

at the moment, calling up and editing plug ins is probably a bit more time consuming than just double clicking with the mouse and adjusting the parameters from the on-screen GUI. but that could just be me not being used to the surface yet.

overall, aside from the slight bugginess, i do like this surface and will be sad to give it back. i have not really found myself using the touchscreen much, and i still don't mind using the mouse for certain things like selecting plugs, editing regions, etc. however, what's stopping me from wanting to get an MC Mix is the fact that the transport controls are lesser than that on a QWERTY keyboard. 8 faders and transport would be perfect for me!
Old 2nd March 2009 | Show parent
Old 9th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Throughout March and April 2009, buying the Euphonix Artist Series also gets you a year's free membership to The Institute of Broadcast Sound, worth about 75 of your Great British Pounds.

More information can be found at this address.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 14th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thinking of getting one or other of the MC Mix or Control, and after reading this thread (plus a few reviews) I'm still not sure which...

I'll be using it with Logic and an Apogee Ensemble. I've also ready reviews of the Ensemble, and understand that the four mic pres can be controlled within Logic through the Maestro Controller Software? Just wondering if this means the mic pre gains can be controlled from an MC Control or MC Mix? Is this fiddly, i.e. would you have to flick between Logic and the Ensemble, or could you control the mic pres AND faders in Logic at the same time??

Can't work this out from the reviews or manals, so any tips would be appreciated!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been using an MC Mix in combination with a Tranzport... been working pretty well... I figured I wouldn't use the touchscreen that much, since I know PT shortcuts really well, and there's a $1300 difference between a cheap transport and the transport in the MC Control...

If I had more cash for another unit, I would be getting another Mix or two before a Control.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the tip, that sounds like a good combo...

I'm still not sure if you can control the mic pres of the Apogee Ensemble from the MC Mix though?? And if you can, do you still have the faders and spare controllers available to control channels/plugins in Logic, or can you only use it for one thing at a time?

I know you wouldn't have tried this as you're using Pro Tools, but does anyone else know? Thanks.
πŸ“ Reply