Quantcast
Best all in one guitar effects box/unit/pedalboard thingy for under £250 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best all in one guitar effects box/unit/pedalboard thingy for under £250
Old 4th April 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
Best all in one guitar effects box/unit/pedalboard thingy for under £250

Any ideas? Trying to help a promising young guitarist make a cool first purchase.
Old 4th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Can't speak to cost in pounds, but the Roland GT-3, I think that's the number is pretty cool.
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think he means the Boss GT3...I use it in my live setup...very convenient...built in tuner...tap tempo,delays/tremelo,chorus,wah,etc.I've never been that thrilled with it in a recording situation but can be useful.

It has some Amp simulations but I never use them.
Bottom line: It's a handy,versatile multiefx unit...built like a tank,should be able to find well under $300.
Old 6th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah its shure the GT3 ,
Also the VF-1 sound great and you can use it as a multi fx unit as well
i use it with a Fat 1 in front of it , just plug the guitar in the comp. to fatten up the guitar signal and send straight to the VF-1
Leave out the comp in the presets of the Boss and monitor trough the mains.
or a marchall Jcm 800 or another speaker cabinet.
i prefer to use it trough an aux in PT , and play in stereo
Also easy to re record the guitar sound, also easy to record scratch guitars.
Just if you send it in Pt set the sample rate at 128 or there wil be some latency while playing.
It sounds great and no extreme costs.

Old 6th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Saucyjack
I think he means the Boss GT3
Boss is a sub name used by Roland for their stomp boxes and some other stuff. I use the names interchangeably.

Quote:
...I use it in my live setup...very convenient...built in tuner...tap tempo,delays/tremelo,chorus,wah,etc.I've never been that thrilled with it in a recording situation but can be useful.
I've gotten some direct sounds with it that I was pretty happy with. Actually haven't really had it in the live rig much yet.

Quote:
It has some Amp simulations but I never use them.
I usually regard them as slightly better distortion box models. As with most of these things, going through and shutting off distortion and fuzz and reducing gain on most of the presets is a worthwhile exercise.

Quote:
Bottom line: It's a handy,versatile multiefx unit...built like a tank,should be able to find well under $300.
The problem is how that translates into Pounds Sterling, especially after the rather strange British tax additions.

Off Topic: The Tom Verlaine avatar is pretty cool.
Old 7th December 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
iPad.
Old 7th December 2015
Lives for gear
He would have to wait 7 years till it was invented.

this thread is from 2003 LOL
Old 7th December 2015

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
People love to hate them, but I really rate and use Line6 Pods. I love Boss and Roland stuff too, for what they are. The combination is awesome - I am still besotted with Roland GK3 pickups and what you can do with a Boss GP10 ... but not so much for the amp and FX modeling - more for the raw pickup and modeling tones.

Line6 gets a lot of hate, but then I suppose so does Roland COSM. I have real tube amps - I get it; a modeler is not an amp. But, for many applications I prefer the modelers. Gigging convenience is one - because let's face it, space and set up times are often a compromise. But also, I have seen expensive tube amps delivering crap sound in a gig, because the cabs project in a straight line, and the guitar player may have an ultra bright tone because he is deaf and/or the cabs are not pointed at his ears where the mic is ... and many times a modeler direct into the PA would have sounds so much better.

I have a synth background, and I treat guitars more like synths anyway ... not a traditionalist in any sense, although I am inspired by vintage tones. I find the Pods give me a massive range of tools with which to sculpt sound. It's a bit like keyboard players ... lots of love for Hammond organs and Yamaha pianos - but you aren't going to lug them to many gigs. A synth is never going to replace the real thing, but in many ways it can do a damn convincing job, AND take you to places that the old stuff never could could.

Bang for buck - if you are not a technophobe and have a sense of adventure, what you can squeeze out of a Pod HD is amazing. The Roland stuff is similar but different - I find them much more conservative, less characterful. More like they are designed by engineers, rather than trying to capture the essence of the vintage boxes that Line6 clearing are aiming for. But I find that the models I love are actually the Line6 originals - where they are not constrained to trying to emulate an existing product, and they can just do something cool with the possibilities of the code and processing they have available.
📝 Reply