Quantcast
APB Dynasonics in studios? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
APB Dynasonics in studios?
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
APB Dynasonics in studios?

Anyone using these consoles in a studio situation? Thoughts/feelings? Primarily interested in feedback on sound, EQ, summing. Understand routing not so flexible as they are live boards.
Old 9th February 2009
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Thanks for the link! Any other opinions are welcome. I'm really curious about the sound for mixing. People seem psyched over the preamps, but that doesn't matter to me as much as line inputs, bussing and summing. Though it's nice to know they're there.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
APB is my old Allen and Heath buds....Chuck and John, and Taz...a Trident refugee.

The stuff sounds great but is geared to live. Not that you couldn't use it to sum...the ProRack would do it nicely in a heart beat.

I've bee trying to get them to do some recording focused stuff, and we've kicked around some idea....but their focus is really live.

ProRack is an excellent sounding mixer though, as well as having a good pre, which is basically a nice implementation of the Burr brown.

I even suffested a good sounding down market pre for folks that had slots that wanted something 500 worthy but not too expensive.
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Resurrecting an old thread. I was reminded that APB is an awesome company after a super pleasant interaction with Chuck.

I use a prorack house in a couple of ways in my studio. First, it was an incredibly cost effective way to get 16 channels of pretty good EQ and 20 pretty good preamps. Compared to other rackmount and small mixers I've used (owned Mackie, several SoundCraft, Allen and Heath MixWiz) both the preamps and the EQs were better in my opinion. EQs are more flexible, too. Musical and pretty powerful

I get to use the pres and eqs this way because of all the direct outs and inserts. Very easy to route in and out of the channel strips.

I once shot out the EQs and preamps with a used Delta, a bigger board which is generally well loved here. I found them to be on par, as I recall. The APB was a little more "true to the source" while the Delta was adding a little more "softening". I suspect the Delta could have used some recapping and was rolling off a little bit of the hi end. The Delta could also sizzle when overdriven.

Since I was getting all of the above benefits already, I figured I have all this routing functionality so I should use it. It started as an easy way to just play instruments and sing. It has now evolved to my recording front end, leaving the really nice expensive equipment for mixing. Does the trick, and includes lots of auxes for effects, headphone amp, etc. I haven't noticed a degradation in recording path (note, I use external preamps in this configuration). Also, I've been using it as a summing box for my iz Radar during all this.

As I type this, it seems weird that I work this way, but I'm primarily a musician, and this allows me to be one power strip switch away from recording and monitoring a given inspiration or moment, which is important to me. No messing with all the compressors, eqs, active monitors, patchbay, insert switches, and what have you. All that stuff sounds freakin' awesome, but can get in the way. When I want to re-record critical tracks, I use that stuff. When I want to mix, I sit in a chair without a guitar around my neck and a microphone in my face.

Sean
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…