Quantcast
I need an Internship at a Vancouver Studio - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I need an Internship at a Vancouver Studio
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I need an Internship at a Vancouver Studio

Well I doubt that anyone will actually reply to this thread but I figure it's worth a shot. I've tried contacting studios here in Van but it's no easy task and often time they're not looking for anyone. Either way, I need an apprenticeship/internship at a studio in or around Vancouver. I don't need money from it, I'd be full on willing to donate my time. I'm not bad as a mixer and recording engineer but I have a need and desire to get better and that will be a lengthier process without a mentor. Hopefully I get lucky and someone reads this who has a slot available. Worth a shot anyway.

PiN
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Hmmm , yes that is a tough one to get into . See if you can start as a runner at some of the bigger studios . My neighbour was one at the armoury or was it the warehouse ?? you can also try hipposonic as well . One of the bands i am producing had a band member working there . To be honeest the best thing is to buy a bunch of gear and start recording friends bands for free or cheap . The industry is changing . More one man operations that do it all . And homes that have a pro converted level that have stuff sounding just as good as the Armoury .
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent

๐ŸŽง 15 years
so far, you've said a lot about what you need and want, but not a lot about what you can offer. No one is interested in how good an engineer the intern is, only that they help and not hinder the studio. I think you just need to learn how to sell yourself. Oh, and there's a whole forum for jobs wanted somewhere below...
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Fair play to you guys. I have posted on the other forum before but no one checks that one it seems so I figured this would be a good bet. I am doing a good bit of recording right now, though I would definitely like to have someone to mentor me as it's hard to know how good your mix is comparatively when you're starting out. Still though I'll check out those studios, gotta be something out there if you work hard enough.

As for what I can offer. Well, competence, hard work and dedication and of course a fairly vast knowledge of music and sound. I also make a great cup of coffee.
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColourSurround โžก๏ธ
Fair play to you guys. I have posted on the other forum before but no one checks that one it seems so I figured this would be a good bet. I am doing a good bit of recording right now, though I would definitely like to have someone to mentor me as it's hard to know how good your mix is comparatively when you're starting out. Still though I'll check out those studios, gotta be something out there if you work hard enough.

As for what I can offer. Well, competence, hard work and dedication and of course a fairly vast knowledge of music and sound. I also make a great cup of coffee.
old thread but out of curiousity how did you make out? Im in the same situation now as you were then
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Just like if you were learning an instrument, take privite lessons with an engineer(s). If you are going to be doing low level work you should get paid for it (it can fund your privite lessons). Why provide 6 months to a year of free/reduced cost labor before you are in a position to learn anything. With money you are the client. I'm sure in a large metro area like Vancover there are great engineers with project/home studios that would gladly share their wealth of knowledge through privite lessons. Given the larger studios not being booked 24/7 I'd bet a few of them would welcome off hours being filled at a reduced rate there too.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…