Quantcast
Anyone getting a big 70's reggae overdriven amp/tape bass sound in computer land??? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone getting a big 70's reggae overdriven amp/tape bass sound in computer land???
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone getting a big 70's reggae overdriven amp/tape bass sound in computer land???

I listen to 70's reggae. I love the rhythms. The spring reverbs and tape delays and the soft pillowy drums and the big deep bass sound. They didn't ultramaximise their music either.

I haven't attempted to get this big reggae bass sound yet. I guess the intellectual logical path would be to record a bass amp miced up and perhaps use saturation plug ins, my SPL Charisma or maybe the drive knob on my Focusrite voicemaster channel mic pre.

Or maybe UAD-1, Logic plug ins, or PSP or Varisaturator or UAD-1's unreleased FATSO plug in.

Wow, I like those 70's reggae bass sounds. Yummy. Big and soft. Never hurts your ears.

I should just buy a good 8 track to bounce my mixes. 3 stereo sub groups eg vocals, instruments, drums and a track each for the kick drum and bass. That would give me varying saturation levels for every instrument and more saturation on the bass drum and bass sound.

Real tape I think.
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
P Bass
Heavy flatwound strings
Fingers (not pick) plucking near the neck with a light touch
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Get a decent pre/DI does wonders.

If player is not consistent with loudness - Comp automate and limit b4 amp plug in.

IK SVX has a great preset called round comp or something sounds great.

limit or tape sat at the end of the chain...

A lot has to do with the player and bass. I once recorded a dub band and the bass player was so consistent in pressure of playing the strings that it needed no compression at all the final mix had the balanced DI straight out of the back of his valve head untouched... never got to find out the head but it was a combo rig and he had a towel over the strings near the bridge.

recorded to a VS-1680 and mixed in Logic 4.0....

Start the mix wit the bass at -12db and turn your speakers up so it fills the room ...then mix in the other sounds.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurubuzz ➡️
Start the mix wit the bass at -12db and turn your speakers up so it fills the room ...then mix in the other sounds.

awesome advice. fwiw, this is how i start every mix, and bring up the vocals second.

gregory scott - 'ubk'
Airwindows

🎧 15 years
Airwindows Audio Unit Plugins

http://www.airwindows.com/f/CabSVT.dmg for free (since you mention Logic plugins)

Airwindows Audio Unit Plugins for going beyond that. But there are people who are getting what they want just out of CabSVT, which is my gift to you
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
First & Foremost someone who knows how to touch the strings just right.

A good DI (I love the Demeter Tube DI for 70's bass)

A nice pre (ADL 600 works wonderfully)

A little compression (Tube Tech)

Straight into PT.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb ➡️
P Bass
Heavy flatwound strings
Fingers (not pick) plucking near the neck with a light touch
Yup...that works for me

A good place to start anyway I also get some good irie bass sounds with a Fender Jazz (Family Man's fave), neck PU, treble rolled off on tone knob about half, and play with thumb, while palm muting

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor999 ➡️
First & Foremost someone who knows how to touch the strings just right.
📝 Reply