Buying a mic - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Buying a mic
Old 9th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Buying a mic

Hello gearslutz,

A friend of mine is looking into buying a cheap studio quality microphone and he's asking me for help. The problem is: I can't help him.

I've been searching around trying to find answers to my questions however these simple questions seem to be common knowledge for everyone else and I can't find any answers. I have only just recently joined the producing scene in my bedroom over the internet and I am just beginning to use hardware. And I know nothing about it. Well I'm not sure if any of that information was necessary, at least you know where I'm coming from.

What kind of mic? Ribbon, dynamic, or condenser? Do I need a soundcard to route the mic to the computer? Do I need a preamp? How do I hook the mic up to the computer (with a sound card, without, with a preamp)? How much will this equipment cost to get a good job done?

All help is greatly appreciated,
zaporzan
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Here's the basics:

(1) Microphone - there is no "best" but some are better than other given certain applications. And some are clearly better than others for certain tasks, while others do many things well but nothing spectacular, etc.

(2) Preamp - the mic outputs a very low power signal, which needs to be further amplified to be used later on. This is the purpose of a mic preamp. Again, some preamps are better than others or more useful for certain tasks.

(3) Analog-digital converters - next step (assuming you're using your computer) is to convert the analog signal into a digital signal, using an analog to digital converter.

(4) Interface - once you have the digital signal, you need a way to get it from the converters onto your hard drive...that's where the interface comes in.

Often you find low-budget "do-it-all" type of boxes which have preamps, converters and interface in one package.

Hopefully that explains the signal flow a little better, even if it is a bit oversimplified. As far as the question "what's best" or "what is pro" and "how much will it cost", well that will depend upon:

(1) your needs / what you want to record
(2) who will be listening to it / will you try to sell it
(3) your budget.

Answer those questions and people might be able to help a bit easier.

Dave

P.S. There's quite a few websites that do a great job explaining the basics of recording. Be sure to check some of them out. Or, alternatively, stop by a local Barnes and Noble and find a book about recording, buy a coffee, and read through it in the store.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks, I really appreciate the answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat+ac30 ➑️

(1) your needs / what you want to record
(2) who will be listening to it / will you try to sell it
(3) your budget.

Answer those questions and people might be able to help a bit easier.
1. My friend: Hip-Hop. Similar to Jay-Z's style.
Myself: General vocals, recording any FX (birds, cars, hitting a bottle)
2. Friends. Family. I will post it on the internet. I will not be selling it.
3. Hopefully under $400 (if that is realistic)

I have a couple other questions. Is an interface a piece of hardware? And the analog->Digital cord hooks into a soundcard? or the standard green input jack?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

If you are recording cars and birds and such, you probably need a stereo set-up.

For that, something like a EMU 0404 USB and a pair of Marshal mics is about the only way to stay in you budget.

You may want to post this on the "Low End Theory" board.

-tINY

Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks. Sorry for posting in the wrong forum
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

It's not wrong, really.

You'll just get more useful responses there.

-tINY

πŸ“ Reply