Quantcast
Chandler Little Devil Compressor - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler Little Devil Compressor
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Chandler Little Devil Compressor

Whats everyones take on this lovely 500 addition?
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Is there anyone who can tell me what the flavor is? Does it have that "Chandler" color? I am in the market for another 500 comp. I have a couple Purple Actions and wanted something a little different.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Don't think these have been shipped/released yet??

Although most places I've checked said "shipping in Feb 09".

I haven't heard from anyone who's actually seen/used them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The guys at Vintage King have a few already. (Not for sale yet, i dont think...)

They have been raving about them. From what i've heard, they have the Chandler flavor in spades.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Damn! I thought they were on the shelves already. I guess thats why I couldn't find anything about them. Thanks a lot guys.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is this based on the TG stuff or a new design completely?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Would it not be based on the old Gates broadcast limiter?

Oops, read that wrong - thought it said Level Devil, not Little Devil, lol!
Old 9th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmontessi ➑️
Just in case you haven't heard of or even know about them cause they are new and shipping.

Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review

sorry to take you off topic.
This is poor show, and I'll probably avoid Peter's work because of it.
Old 9th March 2009 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by camus ➑️
Is this based on the TG stuff or a new design completely?
The Little Devil Compressor is based on elements of the Germanium series, as well as the "N" 2264 comp of yesteryear.
Old 26th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
bump anyone else got anything to say about this piece
Very interested
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thearnicasync ➑️
This is poor show, and I'll probably avoid Peter's work because of it.
Really? I bet Lisa made an honest mistake. It would be a better showing for you to maybe politely explain to her (in a PM or email) why you didn't appreciate her post instead of penalizing a good company in front of everyone.

Brad
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan ➑️
Really? I bet Lisa made an honest mistake. It would be a better showing for you to maybe politely explain to her (in a PM or email) why you didn't appreciate her post instead of penalizing a good company in front of everyone.

Brad
dido!
plus one!
Old 27th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
an honest mistake? lets be real she knew exactly what thread she was posting in. I love a designs products but that was in very very poor taste. no need to make an excuse by branding it as a mistake.

the thread is clearly titled chandler little devil compressor. not 500 series compressors. not compressors.

if it had been a dealer you guys would be ripping his face off.

just keeping it real.
Old 27th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Seconded.

We're dangerously close to this being an "All shill, all the time" forum. It really needs to get toned down, imo.

When your moderators are selling gear, you know you're in trouble.
Old 16th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Im gonna bump this since I know these are supposed to be shipping really soon. Anyone have the date for release?

-Jay
Old 8th July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Has anyone bought one yet ? Verdict ?
How are chandler compressors generally ?
Old 12th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
any more words on the LD?
Old 23rd March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
what about using the LDs the mix bus? do we have a consensus?
Old 16th January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ha!!! loving them on the mix bus...sound HUGE and forward. Zener mode, MIX 66% or more Wet, low ratio, fast release, 150Hz sidechain...attack around 4 or so...shave 0.5 to 1.5db...
Old 1st May 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Having success slamming vocals aggressively with mine followed by a 527. Germ, slowly grabbing the meat (about 60% wet) then the 527 afterwards lightly shaving off the transients. Really fun for when I want a heavily compressed vocal.
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
resurrecting old thread, cause my pair sounds really subtle. Even at 100% mix, fast attack and release, no sidechain, high ratio, full input. Not like cranking the input of my urei 1176 or purple mc77... Would like to get them to distort or pump a little sometimes, strange, other chandler gear iΒ΄ve heard have a lot of girth
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansest ➑️
resurrecting old thread, cause my pair sounds really subtle. Even at 100% mix, fast attack and release, no sidechain, high ratio, full input. Not like cranking the input of my urei 1176 or purple mc77... Would like to get them to distort or pump a little sometimes, strange, other chandler gear iΒ΄ve heard have a lot of girth
Switch to germanium mode for pump and grit. The LD are premier thickeners but I here what you are saying. It is difficult to get a "bad" sound. I moved mine to a seperate bus that I can drive hard for guitars. I find the LD so great for acoustic and electric guitars. By keeping input maxed and in germanium mode I find you can begin to get some narly.
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I SURE hope the Little Devil EQ Comp and Preamp come available in normal 19 inch rack format!! But WHEN ?.....

Please Wade
Old 26th July 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Glad it' s not just me. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get a real obvious squash or anything spanky out of mine - on vox, acoustic.I feel these were really designed to be used in pairs on drum busses and need to be hit really hard to really 'hear'them.
I do bet though that used in series with something with more grab and drive they'd be cool
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Is it not really punchy even with the germanium on? I'm considering one of these.
Old 13th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark ➑️
Is it not really punchy even with the germanium on? I'm considering one of these.
The "Germanium" mode should be more of a soft Knee...the "Zenar" mode should be more of a hard Knee.

The Germanium Compressor has SIX knees starting from "Soft" to "Germanium Soft", "Germanium Medium", and so on up to "Zenar Hard". Germanium Soft was noticeably more colored than the regular "Soft" setting.

My favorite general purpose setting on the Germs is "Silicon Hard"....but I'm assuming the Little Devil is closer to "Germanium Soft" from what I remember trying it out. (Sonically it's a little closer to a 2264/33609 than a Germanium Compressor too...but they're not unrelated.)

Though I'm sure the knees are customized on the Little Devil to a certain extent too.
Old 14th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman ➑️
The "Germanium" mode should be more of a soft Knee...the "Zenar" mode should be more of a hard Knee.

The Germanium Compressor has SIX knees starting from "Soft" to "Germanium Soft", "Germanium Medium", and so on up to "Zenar Hard". Germanium Soft was noticeably more colored than the regular "Soft" setting.

My favorite general purpose setting on the Germs is "Silicon Hard"....but I'm assuming the Little Devil is closer to "Germanium Soft" from what I remember trying it out. (Sonically it's a little closer to a 2264/33609 than a Germanium Compressor too...but they're not unrelated.)

Though I'm sure the knees are customized on the Little Devil to a certain extent too.
"The sound of these knees is backwards from what you might associate with the names. Germanium is much more aggressive than zener…" β€” TapeOp.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark ➑️
"The sound of these knees is backwards from what you might associate with the names. Germanium is much more aggressive than zener…" β€” TapeOp.
Really?!

I didn't get that at all when I used them. Zenar felt more "framed" like the Zenar Hard mode and the Germ setting felt more rounded...somewhere between Germ Soft and Medium.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman ➑️
Really?!

I didn't get that at all when I used them. Zenar felt more "framed" like the Zenar Hard mode and the Germ setting felt more rounded...somewhere between Germ Soft and Medium.
Yeah β€” you ought check out Chandler's demo video. You can really see the two comp curves in action. I felt he didn't show enough smashing in it, though.
πŸ“ Reply