The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler Little Devil Compressor
Old 14th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark ➡️
Yeah — you ought check out Chandler's demo video. You can really see the two comp curves in action. I felt he didn't show enough smashing in it, though.
I've watched it...mids are forward with the Germ mode...on Zenar everything skinny's up (slightly) but feels more focused. (I always say "Framed".) The attack on the transient happens faster in Zenar mode for sure. When I demoed one briefly it was pretty familiar.

Silicon Hard on the Germanium does this a might more naturally usually than Zenar, which has a hugeness about it, making it feel closer to a brick wall limiter when pushed harder (Sucker crushes hard!) ....on the Little Devil it felt more like it was between the two of those settings on the Germ, with a bit of that old Neve compressor fatness. (Still the Silicon Hard setting on the Germ is really tough to beat for program material, so in the end I think I'd still prefer my Germs for the 2Bus.)

Zenar is definitely listed as the hardest of six settings in my manual for the Germs too...(They go from softest to hardest as different diodes are introduced. I'm not sure that they would reverse the jargon for a new unit.)
Old 14th November 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Zener is without question much softer and less aggressive than Germ mode on the LD. Seeing that I've only really used mine on acoustic guitar, bass and vocals, it's never come out of Zener mode as Germ just doesn't sound nice on any of these sources to my ears. If I had a pair and did drum processing, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I could see using Germ as a defacto setting.

I actually expect to post my LD in the classifieds in the near future.
Old 14th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz ➡️
Zener is without question much softer and less aggressive than Germ mode on the LD. Seeing that I've only really used mine on acoustic guitar, bass and vocals, it's never come out of Zener mode as Germ just doesn't sound nice on any of these sources to my ears. If I had a pair and did drum processing, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I could see using Germ as a defacto setting.

I actually expect to post my LD in the classifieds in the near future.
See...I don't know if softer is the term I'd use to describe what you're talking about..."framed" is the term I would use. Because the mids peak through on the soft knee settings on my Germanium...the "Germ Soft" and "Germ Medium" always feel very alive and aggressive, but they don't really work on program material. Maybe a distorted bass guitar, or synth line, or the occasional vocal.

The Zenar setting on both seems like nothing escapes to me. The compressor will activate at lower thresholds across all frequencies, etc. So it all smooths out and feels more compressed, or framed.

What does it say in your manual? Is the Knee listed as softer on Zenar?
Old 15th November 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Have you tried the LD Comp? I don't know what the Germ model sounds like but as others have said, Germ on the LD is definitely grittier and more aggressive sounding. I think I even recall Wade making mention of this
Old 15th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz ➡️
Have you tried the LD Comp? I don't know what the Germ model sounds like but as others have said, Germ on the LD is definitely grittier and more aggressive sounding. I think I even recall Wade making mention of this
Yeah I got to mess with one briefly...I thought it was in the same family though with the Knees selections...(at least that part felt familiar, but maybe I was imagining things and it really is different.) The overall tone of the Germs is just bigger and more mid forward (Which I really love) ...but the low end of the LD felt very much so in the Neve family of compressors to me.
Old 6th January 2014
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
What do you guys think of the LD comp on the mix bus?
📝 Reply