Quantcast
8 Channels of the same EQ...but which one? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
8 Channels of the same EQ...but which one?
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
8 Channels of the same EQ...but which one?

Like many of us I miss mixing on a traditional desk and two of the main reasons are:

1. a similar cohesive sound to the mix
2. being able to work quickly and efficiantly with EQ.

So I would like to get 8 channels of the same EQ, but which one? Musically I do everything from sound design to world music, electronic music, folk, Christian Contemporary and hard rock.

I would like to stay around $1000 per channel, would you go with:

- SSL X-Rack with the black EQ's
- API (3 or 4 band) 500 series
- A Design P-EQ1
- Aresnal's new EQ
- Specks
- the new Chandler Lil Devil (yes I know its not out yet, but it is based on the British thing)

Thanks as always for the input.

XJ
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj32 ➑️
Like many of us I miss mixing on a traditional desk and two of the main reasons are:

So I would like to get 8 channels of the same EQ, but which one? Musically I do everything from sound design to world music, electronic music, folk, Christian Contemporary and hard rock.

I would like to stay around $1000 per channel, would you go with:

- SSL X-Rack with the black EQ's
- API (3 or 4 band) 500 series
- A Design P-EQ1
- Aresnal's new EQ
- Specks
- the new Chandler Lil Devil (yes I know its not out yet, but it is based on the British thing)

Thanks as always for the input.

XJ
X-Rack With 8 EQ's. Absolutely Very nice Eq's With Total Recall. Nothing I know of comes close. You'll Love E'm
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm in the same boat, Im looking for an extremely portable rack of 8 pres and 8 eqs for a mobile recording "sidecar" and I'm waiting for Geoff Tanner's Aurora eq to come out.

The other two options I'm thinking about are 8 portico 5033s in one of those portico racks or 8 tonelux eqs.

You could also go the 500 route, there sure are a lo of eqs are there now. I'm not a big mix and match kind of guy, I like having a bunch of one pre and one eq so 500 doesn't seem like the best thin for me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just saw that you wanted $1000 a channel so the Portico is too much but the TOnelux is perfect and it's one amazing eq.

Don't know yet how much the Aurora is gonna be, I'm hoping it's gonna be around $1000 a channel
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have also thought about the Tonelux.

More and more the X-Rack looks very appealing, especially with the total recall.

XJ

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlersonic ➑️
I'm in the same boat, Im looking for an extremely portable rack of 8 pres and 8 eqs for a mobile recording "sidecar" and I'm waiting for Geoff Tanner's Aurora eq to come out.
Quote:
Don't know yet how much the Aurora is gonna be, I'm hoping it's gonna be around $1000 a channel
I'll finally have my 2 channel version of the Aurora EQ next week...

The 8 channel GTP8 preamp and 8 channel EQ would come in a little over $1000/ channel. And, that's an amazing price point because it would be for the mic preamp AND the 4 band EQ.

As far as EQ's that are already on the market... It would be a no brainer for me, the Avedis E27.
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

XJ
I don't think this is true at all

in my opinion

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➑️
I'll finally have my 2 channel version of the Aurora EQ next week...

The 8 channel GTP8 preamp and 8 channel EQ would come in a little over $1000/ channel. And, that's an amazing price point because it would be for the mic preamp AND the 4 band EQ.

As far as EQ's that are already on the market... It would be a no brainer for me, the Avedis E27.
I actually have a pair of E27's that I will probably sell when I do this...they are nice, but I don't find a use for them all that often, I think they are a bit more specialty, than utility.

As to the aurora, I wish Averil and Tanner would make a 1073 style EQ, without the pre. It always seems to be the other way around.

XJ

🎧 15 years
Quote:
As to the aurora, I wish Averil and Tanner would make a 1073 style EQ, without the pre. It always seems to be the other way around.

XJ
That's what Aurora is doing now.. Geoff has a 4 band EQ with no preamp that is a 2 channel 1U rack unit (all Class A/ transformer balanced GTQ circuitry). Although, this unit is much more expanded than a 1073. It's even more functional/ flexible than the 1081's EQ section.

There will be an 8 channel version that works in conjunction with the GTP8 preamp, or can be special ordered as a stand alone unit with no preamp.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hmmmm...now thats interresting. Thanks Tony, any idea on price for the 8 channel no-pre amp version ?

XJ

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hmmmm...now thats interresting. Thanks Tony, any idea on price for the 8 channel no-pre amp version ?

XJ
Not yet... I expect it to be somewhere under the $1000/ ch price point, though.
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

XJ
I think about the same at the moment.
Maybe iΒ΄ll try the Toft ATB Eqs (Trident A80 style) this week.
Did you hear them? People here like it, from what i read.
Good luck!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy ➑️
I don't think this is true at all

in my opinion

For you, maybe - let the man have his opinions :o)

Let's all just sit down over a nice cup of coffee and ....

... Get Him!

I kid - you're a good man.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➑️
That's what Aurora is doing now.. Geoff has a 4 band EQ with no preamp that is a 2 channel 1U rack unit (all Class A/ transformer balanced GTQ circuitry). Although, this unit is much more expanded than a 1073. It's even more functional/ flexible than the 1081's EQ section.

There will be an 8 channel version that works in conjunction with the GTP8 preamp, or can be special ordered as a stand alone unit with no preamp.
More flexible than a 1081? The 1081 is my all time favorite mixing eq. Can't afford 8 channels of 1081 right now so if the GTeq is in the ball park it'll be a sure buy for me.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Why not just buy a used mixing console, and use it for the EQ's? There are a lot of REALLY good consoles out there that can be had now for very cheap, relatively speaking. You could pickup a great board, with great EQ's for the same cost of 8 channel strips at $1000 or less a pop.

Reicher Recording - Gear Rebbe
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Preamp ➑️
Why not just buy a used mixing console, and use it for the EQ's?

Bingo, I'd go with this option too.
For the kind of money you're talking about ($8K) you could get yourself a really nice little mixer and get summing, talkbalk, etc all thrown in as well.
Now is an amazing time to buy a console...
Gear Guru
I have a hot-rodded to hell Soundcraft Delta 8x4x2 console for sale. It has very fast class A biased opamps, MIT EQ caps, great mic pre's with -129.5 EIN and 200k hz bandwidth, 3000v/us slew rate. It's a 3 band EQ with added EQ bypass switching and added direct outs, 16 line inputs total, 6 auxes in a 19" console.

I'll take $1000 for it. Great for location classical recording or live jazz. Fully cleaned, tested, modified and brand new looking as all metal work was cleaned, even the knobs.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Unfortunately my room is not set up for a console anymore. No room.

XJ
Lives for gear

Nothing like mixing through SSL 4000 series EQ's, especially with Total Recall across all knobs, storable in your DAW session via an extra MIDI track. Amazing sound and highly flexible.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd actually be more likely to buy a rack and put 8 Telefunken/ANT w695b eq's in it. Much less than a $1000 a channel.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Its your fault Josh, you got me thinking about the SSL in the 1st place
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian ➑️
Nothing like mixing through SSL 4000 series EQ's, especially with Total Recall across all knobs, storable in your DAW session via an extra MIDI track. Amazing sound and highly flexible.
But no HP/LP filters. Same goes for the Tonelux.

Also what it is the ETA on the Aurora 8 channel EQ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I can't think of any 500 series with high and low pass filters
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➑️
But no HP/LP filters. Same goes for the Tonelux.

Also what it is the ETA on the Aurora 8 channel EQ?
True. No filters but still outstanding EQ's if you want a rack of 8 of the same thing for that rock 'n' roll vibe. Nice to have the TR as well. Not that it's the same thing, but since he's going to be doing a hybrid ITB/OTB solution, he could always use a high-end plug-in EQ if he needs filters.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The lack of filters was the main thing which put me off buying an xrack
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian ➑️
True. No filters but still outstanding EQ's if you want a rack of 8 of the same thing for that rock 'n' roll vibe. Nice to have the TR as well. Not that it's the same thing, but since he's going to be doing a hybrid ITB/OTB solution, he could always use a high-end plug-in EQ if he needs filters.
Ahhhhhhhh..........the old dreaded he could use a plug in situation.
(Just kidding).

But what if he wants to process down stream and the analog filters give him a certain sound?

Lets face it, it is an oversight and something that so many manufacturers do these days. Its like they assume that since plug ins are so prevelant and they are supposed to do a job why not use them? But it defeats the whole purpose of going OTB in the first place.

When you are mixing in the heat of the moment OTB the last thing you want to do is to think about going back in just to HP something.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Actually Josh, and anyone else for that matter, I often hear people say that the SSL 4000 series is great for Rock, but what about folk, Jazz, electronic, ect.

I am not usually after "aggressive" I am more of a vintage vibe kind of person.

My other EQ's at the moment are a pair of Chandler Tone Controls (which I love), a Millennia NSEQ, a pair of Lil Freq's and a pair of Avedis E-27.

XJ
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Actually Josh, and anyone else for that matter, I often hear people say that the SSL 4000 series is great for Rock, but what about folk, Jazz, electronic, ect.

My other EQ's at the moment are a pair of Chandler Tone Controls (which I love), a Millennia NSEQ, a pair of Lil Freq's and a pair of Avedis E-27.

XJ
SSL EQ's are clean and surgical. Think of them as a different flavor of the Lil Freq. So basically if you want vibe you better pump vibe through them, but that really goes for anything.

The gear doesn't really care what kind of music you pump through it, be it rap or classical. Its really up to the user to make it work for it. People say its aggresive because some do radical EQ boosting when fixing tracks, but to be honest if all you did was cutting it would be clean, flat sounding and open.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How does that make the 4000 series different from the newer X-Rack EQ's (the white ones) which are billed as ultra clean and transparent?

Quote:
The gear doesn't really care what kind of music you pump through it, be it rap or classical
By the way I love this quote, it works on sooo many levels.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

XJ
If you want the vintage vibe I'm serious check out the w695b eq's. They are awesome
πŸ“ Reply