Quantcast
8 Channels of the same EQ...but which one? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
8 Channels of the same EQ...but which one?
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➑️
Also what it is the ETA on the Aurora 8 channel EQ?
I'm getting my first 2 channel unit this week (and NO, I am not selling it heh).... They are still behind on everything. I would guess a month or two for the 8 channel.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Where would I go to check these out? Vintage King? E-bay?

XJ
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ahhhhhhhh..........the old dreaded he could use a plug in situation.
(Just kidding).

But what if he wants to process down stream and the analog filters give him a certain sound?

Lets face it, it is an oversight and something that so many manufacturers do these days. Its like they assume that since plug ins are so prevelant and they are supposed to do a job why not use them? But it defeats the whole purpose of going OTB in the first place.

When you are mixing in the heat of the moment OTB the last thing you want to do is to think about going back in just to HP something.
As usual, you and I agree 100%. I was just giving an option to solve the "no filters" issue. I too really wish they would've included this on the EQ module, or at least built a filter module that could couple with the EQ module. The X-Rack 4K stuff is still pretty amazing, especially at the price point. Really neat technology and great sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj32 ➑️
Where would I go to check these out? Vintage King? E-bay?

XJ
Vintageking may have some. But Germany is where you buy these, www.vintagetools.de

They are very nice sounding fat tight bottom end, accurate mids and very nice highs, they are similar in setup to the api's as in fixed steps but this is no big deal.

They are cheap, about 300euro, though you will need to get them racked if you decide to purchase any, alot are NOS and practically brand new in original boxes. I'd recommend buying a pair first and if you like them, if you do just buy some more, there are Neumann eq's also in the same format which sound very similar but slightly different.

I love these eq's been getting great results with them.
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
How does that make the 4000 series different from the newer X-Rack EQ's (the white ones) which are billed as ultra clean and transparent?.
Its just a different form of clean with a different topology. The 4K EQ's had caps in them so they tended to be more agressive up top when pushed and the 9K's don't so they are much more relaxed. But i think what people forget on the 4K's there were something like 115 caps in the channels. ANd if you were running your tracks through the main faders you were running it through (2) VCA's. Doing all that to your audio will change it in different ways if you want it to or not.

Its also why when you pull the components out of the boards they sound different(EQ's, compressors, mic pres).

Quote:
By the way I love this quote, it works on sooo many levels.
Yeah it makes me laugh when people designate gear with certain styles. Its like the gear is like "don't you dare put rock & roll through me i am strictly a classical unit". Or "how dare you tarnish my image in the studio by putting that rap stuff through me. I am designated by god to do his work only, Gospel baby".
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➑️
I would guess a month or two for the 8 channel.
Cool to hear.thumbsup

I can't wait.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Gear Box Homepage - Welcome! carries the Ants...

I dropped them an e-mail to see if they do "demo" units.

XJ
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The Gear Box Homepage - Welcome! carries the Ants...

I dropped them an e-mail to see if they do "demo" units.

XJ
That should make things easy, sweet. Not a bad price racked up either.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm getting my first 2 channel unit this week (and NO, I am not selling it heh).... They are still behind on everything. I would guess a month or two for the 8 channel.
Tony did Geoff send you the specs on these eqs? I'd love to know the frequency selection, whether they have hp/lp filters, stuff like that.

thks

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlersonic ➑️
Tony did Geoff send you the specs on these eqs? I'd love to know the frequency selection, whether they have hp/lp filters, stuff like that.

thks
I don't have the specs handy, but next week I can post a picture and you can see all the frequencies, etc. It has a ton of frequency choices and other options including adjustable gain ranges, adjustable Q's, etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't have the specs handy, but next week I can post a picture and you can see all the frequencies, etc.
cool !
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I don't have the specs handy, but next week I can post a picture and you can see all the frequencies, etc. It has a ton of frequency choices and other options including adjustable gain ranges, adjustable Q's, etc.
Are the gain ranges stepped like on the 2254's? In the picture it looks like it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't think of any 500 series with high and low pass filters
The Purple Odd does. And so does the API 550a.

The new Chandler Lil Devil has a variable HPF but no LPF. For me it definitely ticks more boxes than any other 500 eq that I'd consider buying a bunch of.

But this new Aurora unit sounds promising. I presume the 8 channels will be arranged vertically. Any idea how many rack units tall it will be?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Are the gain ranges stepped like on the 2254's? In the picture it looks like it.
Yes, I believe it uses the same pots as the GTC2... But, the adjustable gain ranges I was referring to is actually the boost and cut of the EQ bands which can be adjusted for -/+ 8db or -/+ 18db at the flick of a switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS ➑️
But this new Aurora unit sounds promising. I presume the 8 channels will be arranged vertically. Any idea how many rack units tall it will be?
I believe it is 5 or 6 U with the 8 channel preamp and EQ... Geoff would have to confirm.
Solid State Logic

🎧 10 years
FWIW I don't think any 1 EQ is right for everything.

From an SSL perspective mixed with my very personal choices I'd have an X-Rack with 5 E Series EQs and 3 K series EQs. I have to admit I'm loving the E Series EQs at the moment - monster!

However as always, your ears are your best judge. Demo some, use them in a mix, and make an informed decision based on your sonic preferences. There are many good EQs out there.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just my humble 2c / If your going to drop that kind of cash go with the API 550a's. Or mix and match some B's in there too.

Good luck and I wish you the best!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The 8 channel GTP8 preamp and 8 channel EQ would come in a little over $1000/ channel. And, that's an amazing price point because it would be for the mic preamp AND the 4 band EQ.

As far as EQ's that are already on the market... It would be a no brainer for me, the Avedis E27.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian ➑️
Nothing like mixing through SSL 4000 series EQ's, especially with Total Recall across all knobs, storable in your DAW session via an extra MIDI track. Amazing sound and highly flexible.
Any chance you guys could tone down the shilling just a hair? It gets a) predictable, and b) reeeeal old...

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by six_wax ➑️
Any chance you guys could tone down the shilling just a hair? It gets a) predictable, and b) reeeeal old...
I'm all for taking the blame if my posts came off as "pimp-ish". But, I don't feel I deserved this in this thread. I'm the only person other than the designer who has any first hand information about the unit being discussed, and was simply answering questions posed to me by other posters. I did not bring it up, and I didn't recommend it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perelandra05 ➑️
Just my humble 2c / If your going to drop that kind of cash go with the API 550a's. Or mix and match some B's in there too.
This is off topic and I know its been discussed before somewhere, but I can't remember what the solution was. How do you guys deal with the drop in level when running a balanced signal into the the unbalanced input of the 550a and 550b and then routing from the unbalanced output to the balanced inputs of other equipment? Do you need a bump box for each unit on the way in and out? Otherwise I guess you need some kind of amp to boost the level back to balanced. Just wondering.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
This is off topic and I know its been discussed before somewhere, but I can't remember what the solution was. How do you guys deal with the drop in level when running a balanced signal into the the unbalanced input of the 550a and 550b and then routing from the unbalanced output to the balanced inputs of other equipment? Do you need a bump box for each unit on the way in and out? Otherwise I guess you need some kind of amp to boost the level back to balanced. Just wondering.
I usually run into a preamp first, or a compressor with a transformer like an 1176, etc.
Lives for gear

I see, so you just give it an extra boost before the 550a input and there's enough headroom to carry the strong signal through without any clipping or distortion.

What if its being used without a pre or comp as an insert for my DAW, i.e:

DAW => DAC => 550a => ADC => DAW
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well that's definitely a strike against the API's for me. I run everything on a send/return/insert scenario from Nuendo and I am am not run through mic pres just t get proper gain from my EQ. Unless I am misunderstanding the issue.

What is interesting is I am no closer to deciding, as now I have more choices...

An X-rack with a 1/2 and 1/2 scenario could be cool...

Waiting for the new Chandler Little Devils could be cool with a nice vintage sound

If the company I e-mailed ever responds I might check out a set of vintage Ants.

and the Aurora seems cool and maybe the most cash-efficient of them all, depending on how it sounds and when its available.

So really all I have done is ruled out API and Avedis.

XJ
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you want API EQ without the unbalanced nonsense then get a 5500, it is two channels of 550B, fully balanced, with an adjustable gain range. I recently picked one up and I am loving it. I could easily use several more units.

On another note, I am happily using a pair of the Speck ASC-V EQ's If you want clean tonal adjustment with variable controls, it delivers at a great price.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Don't know if this would work but has anyone here tried the Apogee Sound CRQ-12 parametric EQ's out? I know they are live sound gear but if they are anything like the Meyer parametrics in quality it might be a good way to get 8 channels of very good EQ on the cheap? I do agree with the others that with an 8K budget I'd be looking at used desks instead. No personal connection with the seller but a sound company has been selling the Apogee's on ebay for ages and has just lowered their prices quite a bit from what I remember the guy had been asking for them. He's got a buy it now price of $350 a unit (I believe they are two channel units) so eight channels (4 units) would run you $1400. Here is the link to his listing.

Apogee CRQ-12 Parametric Equalizer - eBay (item 140299768596 end time Feb-11-09 10:47:18 PST)
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well that's definitely a strike against the API's for me. I run everything on a send/return/insert scenario from Nuendo and I am am not run through mic pres just t get proper gain from my EQ. Unless I am misunderstanding the issue.
Just so you know, there are bump boxes you can get. Ebtech do a 2 channel send/return one for around $75 and also an 8 channel version. So you'd have to budget for about an extra $35 per channel but at least you'd be in business and the APIs would interact with your DAW set up as if they were balanced.

Ebtech Line Level Shifter | Sweetwater.com
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just so you know, there are bump boxes you can get. Ebtech do a 2 channel send/return one for around $75 and also an 8 channel version. So you'd have to budget for about an extra $35 per channel but at least you'd be in business and the APIs would interact with your DAW set up as if they were balanced.

Ebtech Line Level Shifter | Sweetwater.com
Last week I was discussing this issue with Mark at BAE and together we decided to launch a new option for the BAE 500 series racks. You are now able to order any BAE 500 series rack with a Jensen transformer, on a per channel basis. The cost is $75/channel for the transformer and you'll no longer need to put a preamp in front of your unbalanced 500 series modules. Plus with the high end Jensen transformer BAE is offering, you'll retain the highest quality signal path, without adding the color of a preamp in the chain.

All the 500 series rack product pages on our website now offer this option (with or without phantom power capabilities on the rack).
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
To me, it's a complete no-brainer.

API 550as.
Old 20th February 2009 | Show parent
Trp
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'll finally have my 2 channel version of the Aurora EQ next week...
Any news on this one?
Old 20th February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trp ➑️
Any news on this one?
It hasn't arrived yet. Should be any day now.
Old 16th March 2009 | Show parent
Trp
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Again, any news?

Thanks!
πŸ“ Reply