Quantcast
motors on reel to reel - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
motors on reel to reel
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
motors on reel to reel

So has anyone encounter motor problems with their tape machines? Or at least have ways to improve the motors. The motors on my 8 track seem to not be moving as smoothly, especially when I try to do certain functions. I have to geve them a little nudge with my hand in order for them to start moving. Anyone have any insight? this is my first tape machine and I am bummed about these set backs.
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
You could have any number of issues. You may need tension adjustment. You may need to have the motors rebuilt. You may have logic issues. It's time to get an experienced tape machine tech involved.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
How old is the tape that you are using? I have had this problem when using old tape. It gets very sticky due to oxidation which means that the motors can't function properly due to the layers sticking together and creating too much tension. If it is new tape then this is quite a big problem as obviously smooth, consistent running over the heads is vital for tape. If it is old tape, then get some new tape in and give it a go.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
it is old tape, i will give that a shot and see if things don't work out any better.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Am I sensing that you are dealing with a TASCAM deck?

They had crap motors and only a few models pulled tape worth a sh*t after a few years.
The 80-8s and the early 1" 16 tracks ran tape OK.

Old sticky tape definitely drags and makes motor issues worse.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…