Quantcast
Cables ... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cables ...
Old 4th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cables ...

Germayn is an underdeveloped cable country. Audio folks don´t buy cables over 2 bucks a meter. That´s why Monster closed their dependance over here and that´s why you can hardly find any Mogami, Canare or Belden.

Needing cables for patchbay ( and one longer distance line of ~ 4 to 5 meters to the drum brain ) I had bought 20 m of what is called Klotz microphone cable. Days afterwards a big online store here received Belden 8412.
Knowing that this one is rather used for stage demand I wasn´t sure if it would be the better choice, but wanting to ensure best available I ordered another 20 m ( ) from it, hoping it would be already great stuff for my line levels.

But today I read a user´s note saying: "There are a few reputable cable's that are good. The heavier duty ones like belden 8412, etc., are more for touring because they are tougher than nails. HOWEVER<, generally, the flimsier pure copper types are what are used wiring studios. Mogami and Canari come to mind. "

Do you think I can still start soldering? And maybe if you were even familiar with the two sorts I will have laying around here ...

Any experience about this would be appreciated very much.
( Sure there remains the practical comparance test I will do, but I thought any advice from old hands would be valuable, especially if you were to say that something like the 8412 meant losses on signal.)

Thanks in advance,

Ruphus
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A couple of years ago i bought two 96 point tt patch bays from a Nashville studio already prewired with 50 feet of Belden cable on each patch point! Not only were they cheap, but it saved weeks of soldering (all I needed to do were the other ends, which i actually ended up hiring someone else who was faster and better to do it).

Anyway, I think it says the caqbling is Belden 945 (or maybe 9451?) - it' s pretty hard to read. Works pretty well for me, althoiugh I haven't done a side by side comparison with mogami or canare. And I have no idea how 945 specs out compared to 8412.

Gee, that ended up being a real useful post!

Never mind!!!
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hehehe
Still thanks LittleDog, what counts is intention.

I found that there can be differnces already on short distances. Compared one presoldered with that cheapo ( 1 Euro / meter ) Klotz cable ( both cables 60cm and with neutriks on the ends ).

The self soldered sounded considerably better, although seen from the outer appearance the presoldered cable looked like the more valuable one.
Seems like in life it´s about the core.

Greets,

Ruphus
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…