Quantcast
Questions re phase - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Questions re phase
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Questions re phase

1. If I make up two sample sets with two mic positions, eg close mic and overheads, and I have round robin in operation on both sample sets, will I get phase problems if I use them both at the same time? If so is there a way to overcome this?

2. I've noticed that inverting the phase on one mic recorded as part of an XY or spaced pair configuration will often make the stereo image appear wider. I wonder if someone could clarify this to me - I don't think this necessarily means that's the setting to use, right..?
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
The multiple mic samples will be out of phase if you set them up out of phase. Provided you check the phase, it shouldn't be a problem.

Flipping phase on an X/Y pair makes the mics out of phase, which makes them sound really wide. Try that and then listen in mono... the sound will really thin out, becuase it's canceling. The "out of phase to sound wider" trick is sometimes used in mixing certain things (like background vocals) but ALWAYS compromises mono compatibility in direct proportion to its use.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanks for clarifying tenchijin2.

Although the sound of the XY with phase inverted is wider, I've also noticed that on some sounds it's quite unpleasant and weird to listen to. I heard someone else describe it as sounding like your brains are being sucked out of your head.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…