Quantcast
How the hell do you get Guitar Rig 3 to sound good? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How the hell do you get Guitar Rig 3 to sound good?
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yes. Humbuckers are a little too meaty for GR.

Another thing, apply pre-sim EQ, not post, otherwise you'll kill your overtones.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i just updated my guitar rig to 3.2 with x64 support - sounds alot better than the older version
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary ➑️
i just updated my guitar rig to 3.2 with x64 support - sounds alot better than the older version
Agree I like the new GR3 3.2. Made my first try out recording
and I like the sound I got from the Plex. Used a tele for this
(yeah I know some flawes in the tempo but its just for fun)

Listen to it here:

http://bark.ownit.nu/snatanaplusgit.mp3
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyn ➑️
Used a tele for this
(yeah I know some flawes in the tempo but its just for fun)

Listen to it here:

http://bark.ownit.nu/snatanaplusgit.mp3
Nice!

But since you already said that it's made with GTR3, psychoacoustic reactions will make some people say that it sound and smell bad...

Could it be made better with a real tube amp in a nice room with well placed good microphones? No doubt.

Is it nicely sounding? I say yes.

By the way, all the guitar tracks in my sig are made with Godin Montreal and Amplitube 2.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I think Guitar Rig 3 is awesome!

I tried Amplitube and Waves, even the Devil one (forget the name) and they all sound like they are just layering dirt ON TOP of the original audio. GR really owns the sound an gives waaaay more depth IMO.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think as well that GR is the best out of the bunch. Didnt like any of the others I tried.
I expected a lot of the Waves ones but that was a big let down to me.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I guess I should have been more specific in posting about the POD Pro. If you are doing hard rock / metal, using the POD Pro via SPDIF is really the best direct amp tone there is IMO.
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Tweeking Guitarrig

I have used Guitar rig 2 quite a bit and was able to get some good sounds. I found the presets pretty much useless though. I was using a higher quality DI box, but the pedal is alright it can sound even better when going through a quality tube pre. (Maybe i will experiment with using an unbalanced input as well.) Here was my solution to getting good tone:

1) I stopped worrying about reproducing specific amp/cab model sounds and used several various cabs at the same time, scrolling through the different choices, tweeking pretty much all the settings (mics, air, pan, etc...)
2) I use the effects pretty sparingly, dialing them in very carefully.
3) I use other compression/eq options on different inserts. If you have high quality effects or tape/saturation sims etc, these can help too.
4) Sometimes I finish off the track with a little sansamp or similar plugin later, to get it to kind of sparkle or growl and sit in the mix better.
5) I RECOMMEND fine tuning everything to the particular guitar you're using.

Used in this way, I have found it to be the most usable and best sounding guitar sim that I have heard because of it's flexibility. You can get some very compelling guitar sounds and it offers much more diversity than my sweet little fender tube amp.

I have briefly checked out my friends Guitar rig 3, and wouldn''t go with the matched pair setting for a serious guitar sound unless your just practicing, or perhaps tweek the sound with additional cabs,

There's my 10 cents.
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I've found this so far:

1. Use a Strat if possible.
2. Get a really good DI tone and run it thru a good pre.
3. Hand-pick your own settings. Who knows what they used at the factory.
4. If DI tone is too muddy, buss the clean signal to a group/aux and tweak the clean track till it sounds good through GR.

Humbuckers will drive the "amps" hotter with more saturated distortion.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Zick ➑️

Humbuckers will drive the "amps" hotter with more saturated distortion.
Why can't you turn down the level of the input of your amp sim? It could clean up the sound, if that's what you want.

Also, i liked it when you say:"Who knows what they use at the factory''

It's so true for all those hardware and software things with presets on it. They are just starting point, or even random idea to start with.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
One of my guitars has a humbucker at the bridge and I can get great tone if I tweek the cabs and "tune" them for the guitar. quad cabs are not so easy to tune for humbuckers though. Really, I think this sim works better if you forgo trying to get a realistic representation of a traditional amp. You can still get some of that Grat mojo, or whichever one you're shooting for.

I agree: a good DI through a good pre is very helpful.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halexx ➑️
Why can't you turn down the level of the input of your amp sim? It could clean up the sound, if that's what you want.
I could see how this would take care of some stuff but not all of it. If you EQ/affect pre-GR you'd have an easier time getting the sound right. If you've noticed, GR does not have the best EQs and comps.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Does a DI make a difference to a HiZ imput of a good pre?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg ➑️
Does a DI make a difference to a HiZ imput of a good pre?
You always wanna use the XLR of a pre so yeah, you need a DI box. Some pres don't even have a hi-z for that reason (MA5).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary ➑️
Yes, and finally a mono option!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You always wanna use the XLR of a pre so yeah, you need a DI box. Some pres don't even have a hi-z for that reason (MA5).
I'm gonna give that a go. I always used the Instrument input of my LA-610 or Mindprint pre.
Is there a big difference in DI Boxes. Whats a reasonable one?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm gonna give that a go. I always used the Instrument input of my LA-610 or Mindprint pre.
Is there a big difference in DI Boxes. Whats a reasonable one?
The one I have, and incidentally, the one recommended by Avedis, is the Jensen-equipped Radial JDI.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The one I have, and incidentally, the one recommended by Avedis, is the Jensen-equipped Radial JDI.
This one, right? http://www.dv247.com/invt/43767/

Not that cheap these boxes but if they make a difference I guess they're worth the money.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
This one, right? http://www.dv247.com/invt/43767/

Not that cheap these boxes but if they make a difference I guess they're worth the money.
That's it. It only goes up in price from there but you'll be good with that one.
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have POD farm, and I feel it does a really good job. real amps still sound better!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Interesting, can you give more info about that?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halexx ➑️
Interesting, can you give more info about that?
1/4"/hi-z bypasses the mic input on all of the pres <I've> heard of. You'll get more of the pre's character using XLR/mic in.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The effects are actually quite good in in Amp and GR. Running a miced signal thru them sounds quite good. Close to a good fx loop at your amp of choice. It is once you add the amp sim where it turns to ****e. Good for blasting off late at nite though.stike
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
1/4"/hi-z bypasses the mic input on all of the pres <I've> heard of. You'll get more of the pre's character using XLR/mic in.
Thanks, it's worth i try!

I have an ART tube MP that don't see any use since i bought the GT Bricks.
It has XLR output,so if the output can sound good at low volume, it may work as DI for the GT XLR input. I only need to buy a short XLR cable.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Lately got to use a StompIO (IK Multimedia's integrated DI/interface/controller), the preamp on it is a class A DI that behaves similarly to a tube amp's input circuitry (which is the same goal that Fractal had for the AxeFX input section if I recall); in other words, you can use boosts and other high-gain (in the sense of volume output) pedals up front to achieve realistic results instead of just clipping the hell out of it. I'm frankly amazed at the improvement it offers over the Rig Kontrol 3 interface, which really isn't bad on its own - but the StompIO preamp is really something else, it makes ANY of the software sound more realistic and fuller. I'll definitely record some comparison clips for my blog because folks aren't going to believe the difference otherwise.

Expensive unit, but it might be worth it if you want "real amp tone" from a computer. I thought I was already getting that, but man, I'm stunned.

A friend has also had high remarks for the Waves/PRS DI, apparently it has some of the same idea behind it and it's supposed to be a very high quality DI for just $90 right now.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I've gotten some semi decent guitar tone out of GR2, but it was barely satisfactory. I had to use my Maxon 808 OD, and tweak the speaker options a lot to get a usable sound. I'm done with software amps. The only really great one I've heard was the line 6 amp farm.

Get a Vox AC15!!!! Seriously, I just bought a 97' british one, with the celestion blues in it and it sounds incredible.. all you need is a couple 57's (or a royer if you're lucky) and your tone goes up 10X
Old 22nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Ok,

so i did try to use the Art MP as a DI for the GT Brick.

It did sound 'better', more natural, but at the expense of too much noise added.

Maybe it was because i use a long cable between the two unit, or maybe the adding of two more tube,on in the ART, one in the first stage of The Brick.

Anyway, if i can put my hand on a real DI, i'll try it again, there seems to be something good here for the amp simulation.

Last edited by Halexx; 22nd February 2009 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 22nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by awakened ➑️
actually, IMO, the POD is the best sounding amp sim if you buy the POD XT Pro and run it SPDIF. It has SPDIF outs.

The Pod and/or Line6's lead in the amp sim/modeling world was crushed about 2 years ago when the Axefx came out. I had the pods, bass pods, Pod Pro, the Vetta 2 and really wanted them to "work". None of them hold a candle to the Axefx...really not even close. From cleans to the most brutal metal tones and everywhere in between, the Axefx outshines them all. Oh, I have Revalver2 and it's decent, but not even close.
No, I don't work for Fractal. Just a guitar player.

cheers.
πŸ“ Reply