The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wich mix is better???
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Wich mix is better???

hey,

recorded a acoustic guitar vocal track.

now i got some crazy thing going on,in the mix i sended all GUITAR mic tracks to an AUX and i got some SSL eq there, now when i put on the phase button on my guitar is way warmer.....poink.

i think i got a small phase issue with my vocalmic >< guitar mics.

now i got 3 mixes here to listen to, my question is wich one u prefer.

1st 2mixes are recorded with KM184/R92/OKTAVA mk12 HYPER CARD/ VOCAL BRAUNER PHANTOM

3mix is only R92 and BRAUNER VOCALS (but km184 and MK012 are also bussed to the git reverb)
Attached Files

MIKE MIMOSA AUX.mp3 (938.7 KB, 232 views)

MIKE MIMOSA AUX GIT PHASE.mp3 (938.7 KB, 148 views)

MIKE MIMOSA RIBBON.mp3 (962.6 KB, 202 views)

Old 8th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
bump , pls anyone, some advice....just to crack my brain here
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I like mix 1 the best which suprised me because I very often prefer ribbons! 1st mix has more character in the guitars and the vocals are more defined. I don't think that you had a problem with phase as to me it sounds as if the 2nd mix is more out of phase. Which Brauner mic is that? Vocals sound very nice, the voice sounds a little like Bert Jansch to me.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsweeper ➑️
I like mix 1 the best which suprised me because I very often prefer ribbons! 1st mix has more character in the guitars and the vocals are more defined. I don't think that you had a problem with phase as to me it sounds as if the 2nd mix is more out of phase. Which Brauner mic is that? Vocals sound very nice, the voice sounds a little like Bert Jansch to me.

tnnxx, you convinced me on my 1st tought.

vocal recorded with brauner phantom classic .

in the 1st mix i used the ribbon for a good bottom sound.

any advice for the 1st mix? happy? or could be better?

in mix 3 the ribbon was not perfect placed for th recording. still gonna talk with the client what he prefer.

tnx again roadsweeper
Old 8th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
1 is good, 2 has some very slight low end dist, and 3 has a bit more hiss.

I'd go w 1.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickhouse ➑️
1 is good, 2 has some very slight low end dist, and 3 has a bit more hiss.

I'd go w 1.

hey tnx, another question.... does the mix has good quality? this song has to go on a album. still small quantity cd duplication.

what would be you judgement? demo album classic????

greetz and many tnx peter
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I really like the sound of guitars and vox, personally wouldn't change anything. The guitar parts could be tightened up but that's down to performance not recording.

I really like the musician, who is he? Does he have any recordings out already to buy?

For reference to other tracks with the same kind of feel I sugest having a listen to some tracks from 'The Black Swan' by Bert Jansch if you haven't heard it already. In a very similar vein although it seems that you're singer has a better voice!

Very impressed with the Brauner, may have to look into getting one as this is the type of music that I predominantly like to record.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
In terms of quality, unfortunately I am only able to listen through headphones as I am not at the studio today. However, with a bit of tweaking I'd say that the quality would be perfectly acceptable. The guitars could maybe be a little lower in the mix and I would maybe take a little high-mids out of the main guitar. And also maybe a bit more reverb to fill out the mix a little, however I appreciate that this is just a short clip of the sessions. The vocals in particular sound spot on to me.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsweeper ➑️
I really like the sound of guitars and vox, personally wouldn't change anything. The guitar parts could be tightened up but that's down to performance not recording.

I really like the musician, who is he? Does he have any recordings out already to buy?

For reference to other tracks with the same kind of feel I sugest having a listen to some tracks from 'The Black Swan' by Bert Jansch if you haven't heard it already. In a very similar vein although it seems that you're singer has a better voice!

Very impressed with the Brauner, may have to look into getting one as this is the type of music that I predominantly like to record.
tnx for your compliment. his name is Mike Bleubird, im doing his recording at home exually, hope to finnish his album in june, im still looking for the perfect reverb of the mixand need to do lots of recording still.
when the album is finnished, i give u a note. where do you live? i live in belgium...

check song 3 4 and 5, mixes arent great, but these were just jams and very nice.
SoundClick artist: ACCOUSTIC RECORDING - page with MP3 music downloads

greetz
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks, really like his stuff. I live over in the UK but would be very grateful if you could let me know when his album is released and I will buy it (assuming that it is released on CD, can't stand downloads!) Don't know if you can send messages or anything on here but I assume you can. If not I will send you my email address.

In terms of the mixes on the website, I quite like them, I generally prefer more natural sounding recordings.

I don't know if you have access to any real plate reverbs but I think that would sit very nicely on some of your mixes.

Good luck with the sessions.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
yeah i think a plate reverb would add nicely on this track, maybe taking some of the mud out of the guitar would help the vocal sit nicely then maybe try widening the guitar. maybe you could post the files then we'll experiment with the mix how bout that
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tWoKp. ➑️
yeah i think a plate reverb would add nicely on this track, maybe taking some of the mud out of the guitar would help the vocal sit nicely then maybe try widening the guitar. maybe you could post the files then we'll experiment with the mix how bout that
wish i could, but i got a client here, and im too eager to learn here, break out the box and do this mix properly.
i got the csr plugin plate, wich one would u recommend?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Personally, I like track no. 3 best, because the guitar sound really suits the vocal sound. Btw, great vocal sound!

What disturbs me a little with track no.1 is the panning/stereo image. The main guitar leans to the right which I find a little strange. That's one other reason why I like track no. 3 a little bit better.
Yes, I also do work for AEA right now, but I try to keep that from influencing my critical listening. ;-)
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian.david ➑️
Personally, I like track no. 3 best, because the guitar sound really suits the vocal sound. Btw, great vocal sound!

What disturbs me a little with track no.1 is the panning/stereo image. The main guitar leans to the right which I find a little strange. That's one other reason why I like track no. 3 a little bit better.
Yes, I also do work for AEA right now, but I try to keep that from influencing my critical listening. ;-)

i agree, i still need to sort out panning, reverbs or plate, stereosound. but this is a premix

tnx and greetz
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I prefer the top end of the guitar in track #3, but think that track#1 sounds more balanced. Track#3 tends to accentuate the clunckiness (poor word choice I know) of the guitar playing whereas track#1 makes the playing sound a little smoother.

Maybe a little cut in the low mids on track#3 would balance the weight of the guitar and get a much smoother result.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oh MERDE,We have a Jacques Brel type of voice in the house. I totaly dig that!

Strangly i prefer mix 1 over mix 2 with the phase switch. I think is making just abit "to boomy" on the guitar.
Then between mix 1 and mix 3. I prefer mix 3 for the voice, more detail. But I like more the guitars in mix 1. They more settled in the mix. Bit more in the background and have "plus detail de corps"/"smoother and not busy".
The background noise on mix 3 is really hearable. Nostalgie ou pas

I say take the mic's from mix 1 for the guitars and de mic from mix 3 for you voice. Do you take everything in 1 take? Oh and a tip try to play guitar with your mouth open while not singing, it helps allot in the way that I don't hear you breathing thrue your nose . Then again try to setup your vocalmic over your right shoulder and turn a bit your head to the mic for the singing parts.

Good luck and post more your music. I love it.

Allez ciao, bonjour de Paris.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
the problem was that i setup the R92 for a 3mic guitar session. next recording i will set up the R92 more between the armand hole, whyle on this mix its on the hole...wich is a bugger.

guitar and vocals recorded on the same time....requested by artist. cant convince him to do otherwise

mix 3 the phase button was on ....so the vocal falls more in the mix...how why?? dont ask me.

love to get my second R92 to record in blumlein. step be step

tnx for the feedback
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
my room 5x5 meter
Attached Thumbnails
Wich mix is better???-dscn0063.jpg   Wich mix is better???-dscn0064.jpg  
πŸ“ Reply