Binaural recordings - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Binaural recordings
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Binaural recordings

Hi,

How these binaural recordings are done? I mean this stuff like Virtual barbershop (youtube) etc? How can you make the sound come from behind you when listened with headphones??? I know that binaural head is used, but it is just a head with two mics, right?

Simo Orpana
Studio Bad Mama
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I believe so. If you check out Neumann's site at Georg Neumann GmbH - Startpage you'll find the head in current products. I'm not certain hows it's panned, but maybe some frequencies are panned in different directions or it's just very, very good stereo imaging
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It uses 2 omni mics pointing 180 to each other=back to back,
the head is the baffle.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In real life (ie outside the studio) the brain uses phase differences between left and right ear to locate sounds.
A binaural recording with an artificial head keeps these phase relationships intact.

Stereo sound as we know it relies on volume differences and will thus remain mostly two-dimensional in its effect.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Its just hard to believe that creating these recordings are mostly about this head. I was convinced that creating a binaural recording (like the virtual barbershop) is much involved with mixing different signals, creating phase differences etc...

Simo Orpana
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujumies ➑️
Its just hard to believe that creating these recordings are mostly about this head. I was convinced that creating a binaural recording (like the virtual barbershop) is much involved with mixing different signals, creating phase differences etc...

Simo Orpana
It's really down to the modeling of the pinnae, in conjunction with the baffling principle. Front to back discrimination cues come from the outer ear structures, which are often a part of a binaural head.

-Ben B
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Great fun to do, and really interesting to read up and do..

However,.. totally pointless!

I don't really see there being a market for it [the only proper commercial release is Pearl Jams "Binaural" cd afaik].

Tchad Blake seems to be a real investor in that technology though, so maybe he'll do another binaural mix in the future!

Good fun to do though.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I get dizzy when I listen to a binaural recording over phones -- because the virtual room turns with you when you move your head. Not a very 'realistic' effect...

Few of us listen to music with our head rigidly still at all times. And every time you move and the sound doesn't shift as it would in real life, the veil of illusion is distorted badly.

But, when done right, that aside, it can create a stunning recreation of the original ambience.

PS... I'm glad that was a typo in the title... the images my jaded imagination presented when pondering the phrase bunaural recording were somewhat disturbing. heh
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Bunaural recordings often capture the sound of flush with startling realism.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Is there anyone who has a binaural comparison sample?

It would be supercool to hear the "ead" in context.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiospace ➑️
Bunaural recordings often capture the sound of flush with startling realism.
I did hear a fellow engineer described as seeming to have an SM58 shoved up his... uh... where the sun don't normally shine.

I said, thinking of the mic's profile, Don't you mean a '57?

No...
was the answer.

🎧 10 years
Bunaural recordings? Presumably done by people with cakes in their ears...!?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
its interesting but everything sounds like its going round the back of my head. not sure about the science but it is possible for sounds to move round 360 degrees?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Google Fritz The Dummy Head
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by demel ➑️
Is there anyone who has a binaural comparison sample?

It would be supercool to hear the "ead" in context.
Get in touch with Mike Skeet - he has loads of dummy head recordings.

His website is HERE.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimskidog ➑️
Bunaural recordings? Presumably done by people with cakes in their ears...!?
Nah, just a PZM glued to each cheek......
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTSH ➑️
I believe so. If you check out Neumann's site at Georg Neumann GmbH - Startpage you'll find the head in current products.
AKG made one too.

<-----------
Old 14th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
- Fritz... meet Heidi. heh
Attached Thumbnails
Binaural recordings-heidi.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'll have you know Heidi is a highly paid Swiss thong mannequin by day and bunaural recordist by night... or is it the other way around?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Our hearing does not only rely on sources reaching our ears at different times (this can be achieved easily in the studio with simple stereo panning) but also because of different reflections and resonances caused by the outer ear and even the shoulders. Very subtle filtering occurs due to these reflections which the brain can translate to decifer the direction of the sound. This is why binaural recordings rely on the dummy head being a perfect representation of a human head with the 2 microphones being positioned in exactly (or as close as possible) the same position as the human eardrum. This is why it is possible for sounds to be positioned on a 360 degree spread, because the brain interprets the different filtering and phase effects and from these works out directionality. There are complex formulas which can work out these effects and so therefore can be implemented into recordings without the use of a dummy head.

Whether this will ever really pick up in the commercial world is anyone's guess. However, a lot of people listen to music on headphones/earphones these days (all be it poor quality ones). Binauraul recordings don't have to be used just as interesting effects such as the virtual barbershop but can be used as a demonstration of creating space within a mix. For example, using certain formulas, a string section could be panned front right with a horn section panned rear right without the need for 5.1 systems. There are already certain plug-ins that can do this, although to limited effect in my opinion. If this can be achieved to a good standard, then it might be the start of mixes where different parts can be given a completely different space. It could also be used as a special effect in music. Think of some of the sounds you hear on albums such as 'Dark Side of the Moon.' Instead of footsteps crossing from right to left, they could walk all around your head.
However, I do not know how this would affect listening experience when using speakers, could indeed muddy up the entire spread.

I believe that binaural recordings could be very useful in film. If a DVD had an extra 'headphones only' audio track, the listener could be at the centre of action with incredible realism. However, I imagine this being a huge job for the foley teams and also it might be quite unsettling for a lot of viewers.
Old 30th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
You can buy a Neumann KU-100 dummy head for just 5.999,-- dollar...

or

you can build your own:
Get a mannequin head, chop of the ears, buy/make a pair of silicone ears, make tube-ear canals and mount a pair of lavelier omni mics in it!
You just have to calibrate the head with white noise and make a inverse EQ setting to compensate the recordings you are going to make.

Lots of fun! (and saves you a lot of bucks!)

(still have to calibrate mine...)
Attached Thumbnails
Binaural recordings-p1010404-2.jpg  
Old 30th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Binaural Source FAQ Page

they are most effective when listened to on headphones.

another variant is the OSS/Jecklin ESQUE

Schneider Disc
Old 31st May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Binaural Recordings

The binaural mic technique is alot like the Jecklin Disc which was just mentioned.
Both using amplitude and spaced distance to create the stereo image. Additionally the disc creates a shadow between the spaced pair that mimics what the face and forehead phase interactions.

I don't think that the binaural technique ever got too popular was because it wasn't very practical. One could easily achieve a similar result without having to use a dummy head.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
there are various ways to make binaural work; but the best way is a dummy head with artificial ear canals. That way you'll get also the vertical information around you... amazing!

take a virtual haircut:
YouTube - Virtual Barber Shop (Audio...use headphones, close ur eyes)

Or a test on the home-made dummy head:
Binaural Technique Demo - Rafael Sentoma on Vimeo

Have fun!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The first song on Cornelius's Fantasma album has some cool binaural recordings on it. He puts a paper bag over the head and takes it off again, its pretty cool..
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Actually initially I was interested in the binaural recordings, but after reading the thread I'm now much more into the bunaural recordings. I considerer it to be much more fascinating.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is a test recording I made of my friends big band rehearsal with my binaural head.
Attached Files
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➑️
This is a test recording I made of my friends big band rehearsal with my binaural head.
What kind of binaural head you use? Homemade or something else? Sounds cool to me.

Simo
Old 26th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Is anyone doing any kind of radio drama with the dummy head? I'm getting interested in recording audio drama with the dummy head and was wondering if anyone else here had done anything with it.

I've the seen the neumann heads (way too expensive for me), the akg head, the sennheiser head, and various jecklin disks. Would any of these be usable for capturing spoken word?
Old 20th September 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Binaural Audio with Video-ImmersAV from Bob Schulein

HI:
I am new to this site but have been in professional audio and video for over 30 years.
With the large growth of personal audio and video media players, I have developed a production process for capturing a musical event as if you wrere invited to sand with the musicians.
I call the process ImmersAV Technology and would be interested in group feed back of several exampled currently posted on You Tube.
Please search for ImmersAV.
All comments welcomed.

Best regards,
Bob Schulein
πŸ“ Reply