Binaural recordings - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Binaural recordings
Old 16th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtut38 ➡️
Is anyone doing any kind of radio drama with the dummy head? I'm getting interested in recording audio drama with the dummy head and was wondering if anyone else here had done anything with it.

I've the seen the neumann heads (way too expensive for me), the akg head, the sennheiser head, and various jecklin disks. Would any of these be usable for capturing spoken word?
I've done drama using in-ear sampled live head. Only requires in-ear mics and you can either use a 3rd person binaural recordist, or wire up one or more actors!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Would you consider a recording made with this mic "binaural"?

SASS-P MK II
Shy
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sophisticared science and equipment is not necessary to do binaural recordings. Stick two little omnidirectional mics (like Core Sound's) in your own real dummy head , press record, and that's it.
Attached Files

binaural slice.wav (4.94 MB, 245 views)

Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I know, I know, but... The SASS principle seems very close to the dummy head, but Crown doesn´t advertise this mic as "binaural": it´s a "Stereo Ambient Sampling System". Maybe just a commercial way of naming the same thing?

If played on cans, would something recorded with the SASS sound binaural?

Cheers.
Shy
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd love to hear it. I really have no idea what kind of result it would give.
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Binaural Drama:

Here are a couple of extracts from some binaural dramatisations of poetry, read by Richard O'Brien.

1) The Man From Snowy River (intro)

2) The Raven (finale)

In each case Richard's voice is generally mono, except part of The Raven extract, and the soundscape in pure binaural. There has been additional processing on The Raven extract.

Thanks to Rob Ayling and Voiceprint.

Use headphones.

Enjoy!
Attached Files

The Man from Snowy River intro.mp3 (1.63 MB, 245 views)

The Raven finale.mp3 (2.78 MB, 213 views)

Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
It's nice to see some renewed interest in this. I just picked up a dummy head and some church omnis. I'm about to order some silicone ears from the bird vs alligator guy. I've got a little zoom h4n recorder. This should be fun!

Dallas, I really enjoyed the Richard O'Brien stuff you posted. This is very similar to the stuff I'd like to do. I've listened to a lot of BBC binaural recordings (especially the Barry Foster Sherlock Holmes series from the seventies) and I really feel that this kind of thing should be readily available. Audio drama was made for this.
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm assisting on a record at the moment and the engineer brought a Neumann binaural head for drum overheads. It sounds fantastic, the cymbals are amazing they really wash around the stereo field. I built a DIY Schneider Disc with cheap Naiant mics for the tall hallway connecting the live and dead rooms for picking up hall ambience and I use that a quite a bit, I've found it way better than I imagined when I came up with the idea.

Pics of my efforts here https://gearspace.com/board/remote-p...ruction-2.html
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Les
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
With the large growth of personal audio and video media players, I have developed a production process for capturing a musical event as if you wrere invited to sand with the musicians.
I call the process ImmersAV Technology and would be interested in group feed back of several exampled currently posted on You Tube.
I listened to some of the youtube videos. Sounds very nice and open in headphones. I'm curious about your technology.

Here is what I listened to:

YouTube - Rockabye Dixie - The Ackermans - Longmont Colorado - November 11, 2008

I'll PM you tommorow. Look for that in upper left.

Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtut38 ➡️
It's nice to see some renewed interest in this. I just picked up a dummy head and some church omnis. I'm about to order some silicone ears from the bird vs alligator guy. I've got a little zoom h4n recorder. This should be fun!

Dallas, I really enjoyed the Richard O'Brien stuff you posted. This is very similar to the stuff I'd like to do. I've listened to a lot of BBC binaural recordings (especially the Barry Foster Sherlock Holmes series from the seventies) and I really feel that this kind of thing should be readily available. Audio drama was made for this.
Thanks kingtut38, Yep, totally agree, the time for binaural drama is now. I use modified DPA4060's in ear, this is how The Raven and Man from Snowy River were recorded. Of course dummy head, Jecklin Disc and other approaches all have their value and use.

The BBC have just produced a binaural trailer for the BBC Radio 7 'Planet B' drama - check it out:

BBC - Radio Labs: Immersive audio for Planet B

Tragically only the _trailer_ is binaural not the actual radio drama, shame! write to the producer and tell him. The more lobbying from the listeners the greater the incentive to produce binaural,

cheers,
dallas.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years

Gear Addict

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I read somwhere that those barbershops recording were not only made with binaural techniques, but they used a special algorithm with a name that i cannot remember.
I even emailed the company that designed it by then but got no response.
Binaural recordings are cool, but they do not reproduce front and back sounds as well like the algorithm im talking about that was used with the barbershop

my 0.1 cent
Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyRock ➡️
I read somwhere that those barbershops recording were not only made with binaural techniques, but they used a special algorithm with a name that i cannot remember.
Ambisonics?
Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
No
It was something italian
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I believe they call it CETERA. I'm not convinced it adds anything though. It still seems a little weak in frontward cues. Binaural usually struggles with front cues. I've read some scientists say that it has something to do with the fact that our brain processes information differently when we see what is making the sound. Don't know for sure though.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyRock ➡️
I even emailed the company that designed it by then but got no response.
Binaural recordings are cool, but they do not reproduce front and back sounds as well like the algorithm im talking about that was used with the barbershop

my 0.1 cent
Could it be similar to the Roland Sound Space algorithm?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi there,

I had Edgar Froese's Aqua in the 70's which I'm pretty sure was a binaural record..1974

Cheers

John NYMO Nyman

Last edited by NYMo; 26th November 2009 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: Wrong year
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
You don't need a dummy head to get "surround" through headphones. As has been mentioned, the OSS, or "Jecklin Disc" or "Baffled Omni" technique also works, and -- to my ears -- translates to stereo better than the dummy head recordings, I've heard.

Here's a little clip I threw together last night. Very simple array -- two (prototype) omni pressure mics positioned about 7 inches apart (about 3.5 inches on either side of a 28 cm foam disc.) Wear headphones. You really need to use true omni pressure mics, not dual diaphragm mics set to omni. The mics used in this clip are omni but still noticeably directional at high frequencies and this helps us get directional cues. You naturally hear slightly more high frequency information when the source originates in front of you, than behind. In this clip I speak from an equal distance in front of -- and behind -- the mic array yet you can tell the direction. It's particularly effective at about 130-degrees off axis where acoustic shadowing is most noticeable plus you have the high frequency attenuation. But don't take my word for it ... listen to the clip!

http://www.kelaudio.com/kel_binaural_demo.mp3
Old 25th May 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Not Ambisonics, but Holophonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➡️
Ambisonics?
Have a look-see at my post on what's disclosed in the Holophopnics patent. Basically, it's a binaural mannequin. Zuccarelli (IMHO) just came up with some very good demo material (virtual haircut etc) that seems hyper-real to someone unacquainted with binaural recordings (true binaural recordings as made with a mannequin head) because of the source to ear / pinna / head ovoid distance and the high frequency content of the source used for the demos. Ostensibly, Holophonics is IMO binaural - no more, no less. Here's why:

https://gearspace.com/board/remote-p...ml#post5429550
📝 Reply