Quantcast
Tubes on Ebay - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tubes on Ebay
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Tubes on Ebay

Has anyone had any good or bad experiences purchasing tubes from random sellers on Ebay?

There are a lot of tubes out there for sale...

I'm interested in rolling an MPA Gold and a Traynor YCV40WR ... (I'm looking for 12AX7's and 6L6's)

thanks,
Paul
Old 8th February 2009

🎧 15 years
Yes, I have had good luck. All the standard precautions apply.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Try PM'ing Bowie. He's a great guy to get tubes from. He may have what you need.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dft3670 ➡️
Try PM'ing Bowie. He's a great guy to get tubes from. He may have what you need.
Thanks for the kind words.

Be vary cautious about buying on ebay. In my experience, most of the tubes on there are not correctly represented. I have had many people ask me to test tubes they bought from ebay I've found that, in about 80% of the cases, the test results given in the auction were innacurate (and most are from 100% positive feedback sellers). Many trimes, the seller also did not know how to decipher the date codes and gave an incorrect description. They don't usually test for noise. I could go on. Just because someone has a tube tester does not mean that they know anything about tubes and you could be buying weak or mediocre sounding tubes without ever knowing.

Some of the big sellers are crooked too. If you ever need advice let me know. I'm always glad to help, even when you're buying from someone else.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I agree with those recommending caution. NOS Tubes have been picked over, picked over and picked over. It is easier to pick the winners in the stock market than it is to pick good NOS tubes from unknows sources. You have to personally know your sources. There is a great deal of voodoo when it comes to tubes. I and many others have bags of tubes that are crap that could easily be sold on ebay as NOS if we didn't have to live with ourselves. If you are after hard to get tubes start out small and get to know a few sources, stick with them, and build up trust.

My preference is good NOS tubes but if I just need something that is good I go GT or JJ. I know that other brands of over-the-counter new tubes are good. Many folks would rather have a crap NOS tube than a decent, inexpensive over-the-counter tube.

So much gear, so little time definitely speaks our tube quests. If I didn't have a day job I could spend all of my time finding great tones with various tubes.
📝 Reply