Quantcast
API 312 vs SSL VHD Pre - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API 312 vs SSL VHD Pre
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
API 312 vs SSL VHD Pre - Samples are back!

UPDATE: I'm now hosting the files myself, so please feel free to follow the link below.

By downloading this file, you agree not to complain that the tests are unscientific. I am well aware of this, which is why I was reluctant to post them at all.
It is unfortunate that I don't have time to do a more scientific test. (Well, at least play the same drumbeat at the same tempo) If you don't know what a FLAC is and are too lazy to google it, then you should also not
download this file
Visit my website, scroll to the bottom, click the SSL logo.

Original post:
Hey guys,
Just a quick post.

About a month ago, I started searching for some info on the SSL VHD Pre, which is a 1ru, 4 channel preamp.

To be brief, I did a mini-shootout against an API 3124 on kick, snare and 2 toms (Pendulum MDP-1 on overheads) and the SSL was the winner for me.

They both had about the same mojo, but the API was noticably woollier (=fluffier = distorted) in the low end.

I must admit, I was surprised that this less expensive piece won over the API, infact, I went into the shootout thinking the API was going to win, because I've heard so much about how people love them on drums.

The API "looks" more rock, but the SSL sounds more rock.

Hope that helps someone who is in the position I've just been in for a month.

All the best,
Dax.

Here are all the details:

DRUMKIT - Brady Fiber glass (Australian made, boutique kit, 1980s era) - sounds ****ing thick and beefy.

Snare is Procussion freefloater 14x6, brass shell, Evans G1 coated (top), Evans Hazy 300 (bottom)

Kick is 22x20 (or 22x18, can't remember) and the heads are Evans EMAD (with no foam ring attached) and resonant head has 5 inch, offset hole and I think it's an old remo dual-ply thingy. Both tuned quite low, just enough tension on the lugs (finger-tight) to stop them from coming loose by themselves while playing.

(This is the same kick I used on the kickdrum mic shootout. You can find photos there. Actually, I think there's a photo of the snare too)

Toms are 10x8 and 12x10 (I think) with Evans EC1 coated (etched) top & G1 clear bottoms.

MICS-
Kick - D112
Snare - M69
Toms - ATM450 (side address condensor - killer for easy placement!)
OHs - AT4047 or AT4050 (can't remember)
Old 15th June 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'd be interested to hear more about this.
Old 15th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Post some samples please. Also, could you be specific about the settings you used on each unit, the a/d converters used, and what mics...etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranny-Cap-Tube ➑️
Post some samples please. Also, could you be specific about the settings you used on each unit, the a/d converters used, and what mics...etc.
would like to know as well as i already own the ssl and was looking into the 3124.

rich
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
+1

Interested to here more as well.

Jaakko
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Excellent.
You like what you like
and so you use what you like.
F*$% the rule that API is rock drums--- SSL is your rock drums.
Follow your ears!!!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Nice,
it seems like a good news..

Would it be possible to post some samples of the shootout?

Thanks in case..
2L

P.S. Does anybody know if the pre in 4channel Alpha is the same as in XLogic Alpha Channel Strip?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud ➑️
Nice,
it seems like a good news..

Would it be possible to post some samples of the shootout?

Thanks in case..
2L

P.S. Does anybody know if the pre in 4channel Alpha is the same as in XLogic Alpha Channel Strip?
same pre supposedly. from the duality console. the channel is just the strip version, which is also cool. they have gone down in price recently for both units and if i didn't have my eye on a pacifica or 3124, i might get a second unit, but i digress. BTW, the alpha vhd is a killer di for EG. best guitar signal recorded direct has been with this box. the vhd control really makes up for the loss of fidelity usually incurred with a direct signal. makes reamping a beeze.

rich
Solid State Logic

🎧 10 years
Slightly different. The Alpha Channel pre is slightly tweaked to be a bit friendlier to plug a guitar in direct and use as a fuzzbox. The 4CH VHD Pre is the same as found in our other products (with the exception of the Alpha Channel)

Hope this helps

Jim
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
having Alpha+ other pres, but never heard 4channel VHD pre, I was told it is not same sounding as Alpha,
thats why I was curious with reference to this thread..

thanks for all the responses, it seems 4ch VHD SSL is slightly different sounding tool...

best regards..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Warren from Front End Audio did a shoot out a year or so ago with various preamps including the VHD at various levels of 'drive'. To me it sounded pretty on/off and unsensitive. It turned me off it at the time and so I bought a 3124 which I love.

I know a VHD owner who is very happy with it so I guess it is a personal preference.
Old 16th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I love my 3124. Never used the SSL, but I, too, have heard about how a lot of people like them on drums.

One thing I've discovered recently (before even reading this post) is that I like the sound of the SSL Waves plugs on drum tracks that I've recorded with API, but I like the sound of the API plugs on drum tracks recorded with SSL (only mixed one kit recorded with SSL, but it sounded good).

I think it's just about the layers of distortion--I like to have a cleaner compressor on a thicker sound (API) to get sort of a hybrid tone. Thus, I like SSL compressors better than SSL preamps, and API preamps more than API compressors.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
OK, someone give me some hosting space and I'll post a few samples.

(I will not be posting individual multitracks because I don't have the time.)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
post at rapidshare.com
Old 17th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman ➑️
post at rapidshare.com
Okay, if you want, but it can only be downloaded 10 times.
It took me 25mins to upload so I won't be doing that again. (Which is why I wanted to get solid hosting)

By downloading this file, you agree not to complain that the tests are unscientific. I am well aware of this, which is why I was reluctant to post them at all.
It is unfortunate that I don't have time to do a more scientific test. (Well, at least play the same drumbeat at the same tempo) If you don't know what a FLAC is and are too lazy to google it, then you should also not download this file)

(Click the words above for the download link)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
holy crap!!! huge difference. no surprise that the 3rd order was going to kill. what sources were you using to record? toms, kick, snare, what? smoking files. i liked my ssl on drums, but not as primary. that is why i got my sytek and soundworkshop 1280b. mainly for drums.

rich
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
DRUMKIT - Brady Fiber glass (Australian made, boutique kit, 1980s era) - sounds ****ing thick and beefy.

Snare is Procussion freefloater 14x6, brass shell, Evans G1 coated (top), Evans Hazy 300 (bottom)

Kick is 22x20 (or 22x18, can't remember) and the heads are Evans EMAD (with no foam ring attached) and resonant head has 5 inch, offset hole and I think it's an old remo dual-ply thingy. Both tuned quite low, just enough tension on the lugs (finger-tight) to stop them from coming loose by themselves while playing.

(This is the same kick I used on the kickdrum mic shootout. You can find photos there. Actually, I think there's a photo of the snare too)

Toms are 10x8 and 12x10 (I think) with Evans EC1 coated (etched) top & G1 clear bottoms.

MICS-
Kick - D112
Snare - M69
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere ➑️
DrumKit - Brady Fiber glass (Australian made, boutique kit, 1980s era) - sounds ****ing thick and beefy.

Toms are 10x8 and 12x10 (I think) with Evans EC2 top & G1 clear bottoms.
I'm pretty sure the EC2 heads are etched (which is halfway between coated and clear), but I can't seem to find any referrence to that online. Maybe they are discontinued or maybe "coated" is actually etched.

Mics-
Kick - D112
Snare - M69
just these 4 mics right? i usually use the ssl for toms and the subkick. looks like it'll be preamp shootout time when i move everything into my new studio!!!

btw, my drum mics are in no way like yours. i use the beta 52 and e602 for the kick, a subkick, i5's or sm57's for top and bottom snare, nt5 pair for HH and ride, either adk hamburgs, e604 or i5's for toms, adk SL pair or fathead pair for OH.

rich
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rty5150 ➑️
just these 4 mics right?
6 mics really, 1 for each tom + stereo overheads.

(The kit actually has 4 toms, 8, 10, 12 & 16, but I only setup 2 toms for this test)
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i prefer the api tracks, didn't care for the 3rd order tracks, 2nd order sounded pretty good though!
Old 22nd June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Damn it i missed the tracks.
If you want, i can post with my premium account...
Old 22nd June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hey if somebody interested im selling my ssl alpha vhd4. Bought it a year ago but dont need this many channels cause i dont record drums,Been in the box in my closet for almost a year.Let it go for 1100, almost new, or could trade it for a portico pre or comp
Old 26th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by michj ➑️
Hey if somebody interested im selling my ssl alpha vhd4. Bought it a year ago but dont need this many channels cause i dont record drums,Been in the box in my closet for almost a year.Let it go for 1100, almost new, or could trade it for a portico pre or comp
Where do you live?
Old 26th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
miami u can sell me a private message if u want
Old 4th October 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Files are available again. Please see first post.

Cheers,
Dax.
Old 4th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i didnt find it.
could you please post a link?
Old 4th October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Apologies, my webhost doesn't refresh quick enough. Please try again now.
Old 29th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere ➑️
Apologies, my webhost doesn't refresh quick enough. Please try again now.
Sorry, Where is the link for these files??
πŸ“ Reply