Importing session data - pro tools... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Importing session data - pro tools...
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Importing session data - pro tools...

Hello.

Ok so I´m tracking drums for a few songs on PT LE 7.4. Once I had the tracks up on the first session, all IO assigned, EQ-ing and comps + some buses, I wanted to import the session data of the tracks for the other sessions/songs... (Like I´ve done so many times before) But suddenly PT seems to be mis-placing the recorded files on some of the new tracks to the audio folder of the first track which the data was imported from - why?

What is the correct/best method of importing session data so I don´t have to manually set up all tracks for each session?

Thanks for any help you can give me!! thumbsup
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Turn the first session into a template. PC: Right click on the session file, go to properties, and select READ ONLY. MAC: Right click and select Get Info (command i) then select STATIONARY PAD and LOCKED. After you do this, every time you open that session file, PT will prompt you to make a new copy of that session (with a different recording path). The tricky part is that if you've already recorded something in the session before you make the template, it will save all of the pre-recorded tracks in the new session. So you should make a copy of the original session file and delete all of the audio from it, before you turn it into a template.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ok, but since I started setting up all the sessions with click and a couple of "tracking/scratch" instruments for the drummer to follow... I need a method to import the session data of the drum tracks I´ve now created in the first session to the rest of the sessions which already exist?

What´s the safest way of doing that so paths don´t get mixed up...?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm confused...are you starting with drums, or adding them to pre-existing sessions?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think when you do " import session data" that it doesn't import the actual audio files to the audio folder in the new session. Just the region and playlist data. This happened to me last night. I just went to the original audio folder and copied/dragged the audio to the new audio folder and everything linked up fine.

TW
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Ok, I think some of the previous posters were misinterpreting the original post. If I understand you correctly, you have the problem that once you import data from your template session, some of the audio in your new session gets recorded into the audio file folder of the template session, correct?

Well in that case, you'd want to check your disc allocation menu in the options section to make sure that the correct folder is selected. I've actually had that problem before. So once you have imported your template session data, go to your disc allocation menu before you record any new audio and check if everything still is the way you want it to be.

Hope this helps
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
+1 on the disc allocation thing for were the newly recorded files go.
The question was a bit confusing regarding importing session data.

TW
Deleted 1a30a04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering ➡️
I think when you do " import session data" that it doesn't import the actual audio files to the audio folder in the new session. Just the region and playlist data. This happened to me last night. I just went to the original audio folder and copied/dragged the audio to the new audio folder and everything linked up fine.

TW
I believe the default for "Import Session Data" is Copy From Source Media

Unless you've changed this option to "Link To", it's going to copy them.

One of the nice additions to PT8 is more formal template support.

jeff
ps: I thought round-robin disk allocation might be at work, but my recollection
is that the round-robin allocation is only going to only come into effect when new
regions are created.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yes julian.david you got it... Sorry if my question was confusing.

Thanks guys!

But, what does round-robin mean?

"round-robin disk allocation"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
round-robin disk allocation... what does that actually mean?

anyone?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think it's when one disk fills up it will save to the next one in the chain.

TW
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…