The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone recognise this console? (pics inside)
Old 4th April 2003
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
vocalnick's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Anyone recognise this console? (pics inside)

Howdy

First post here, and hopefully I've got the right forum! I posted the same thing over at recpit, so if this looks familiar, then that's probably why My apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I may have an opportunity to pick up this old console for next to nothing. It doesn't seem to have any branding on it, at least not anywhere obvious. Does anyone recognise it, or have any ideas? I have a feeling it may be a custom-built thing, but I can't find ANY information about it at all.

I'm not going to get ripped off financially, it's basically going to be thrown out if I don't take it, but I'm not even sure if it's worth the time to pull it apart and load it in the car

Hope someone can help





Old 4th April 2003
  #2
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
It looks kinda cool. It might sound that way too. I'd try to listen to it. It might be worth having around, or broken down and a few channels racked.
Old 6th April 2003
  #3
Founder
 
Jules's Avatar
hmmm, I wonder if it is a Raindirk or Helios prototype?
Old 7th April 2003
  #4
Moderator emeritus
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
hmmm, I wonder if it is a Raindirk or Helios prototype?
I dunno about Helios, but it doesn't look like any Raindirk I've seen, not even the old ones.
Old 7th April 2003
  #5
Gear Addict
 
ExistanceMusic's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Dunno what brand it is, but it doesn't look half bad either way. Usable EQ looking section, anyway. Have you heard it? Is it noisy, quiet, scratchy?
I'd say it'd be at least worth keeping and trying to flog it off on the Aussie ebay to make a few bucks.
If it was in Melbourne I'd consider it if it's quiet, so there's gotta be someone around down there who'll pay to take it off your hands.
Old 7th April 2003
  #6
Lives for gear
 
e-cue's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Did this have little plastic things you could snap 2 faders together with for "stereo"?
Old 7th April 2003
  #7
Gear Addict
 
ExistanceMusic's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I was wondering the same thing, althought I admit when I first saw it I thought it was a weird kind of in-line console, with the secondary mix path located next to the primary. I still think the layout of the desk hints at this as an option, Groovr, do you know if there is any switch to "link" the pairs of channels together?
Old 7th April 2003
  #8
Lives for gear
 
MIKEHARRIS's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
looks like fader knobs from a maker known as Duncan.
Old 8th April 2003
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
vocalnick's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by ExistanceMusic
Dunno what brand it is, but it doesn't look half bad either way. Usable EQ looking section, anyway. Have you heard it? Is it noisy, quiet, scratchy?
I've used it a few times, but only for a few minutes at a time to record tv-commerical voice overs through. As far as I've been able to ascertain from that, it's pretty quiet, and sounds quite "nice". It's certainly not a transparent sounding desk, it has some character.

Quote:
I'd say it'd be at least worth keeping and trying to flog it off on the Aussie ebay to make a few bucks.
If it was in Melbourne I'd consider it if it's quiet, so there's gotta be someone around down there who'll pay to take it off your hands.
Actually, provided all things go to plan I'm planning to get it up and running and use it in my home studio. Certainly more vibey than a Mackie :D

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Did this have little plastic things you could snap 2 faders together with for "stereo"?
I know the things you mean, and no it doesn't seem to, although it might have done at some point in the past.

Quote:
Originally posted by ExistanceMusic
when I first saw it I thought it was a weird kind of in-line console, with the secondary mix path located next to the primary. I still think the layout of the desk hints at this as an option, Groovr, do you know if there is any switch to "link" the pairs of channels together?
Doesn't appear to. Apart from the physical pairing of the faders & controls, they seem quite independent.

Thanks for the replies so far! I've established a lot of things that it ISN'T, but I still don't know what it IS... I'll go over it with a fine-tooth comb at some point in the next few days, and see if I can pick something up that I missed before.
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump