The Beatles - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Beatles
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The Beatles

Apologies for this thread.

The Beatles are my favourite music writers ever (with the possible exception of Beethoven). I havn't played a track of theirs for maybe 2 years? They just came on on my iTunes and I was blown away all over again.

That is all
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
this may sound really stupid..

but I'd never REALLY listened to the beatles stuff till last week.. I mean, I'd heard it, but I've never sat down and listened to it like I have done with other stuff.

IT IS AMAZING..

I was blown away by the quality of their records.. or maybe it's just as my ears open as a engineer/producer I begin to find new things amazing!

either way.. wow!
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i love them yeah yeah yeah.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's hard to imagine a generation of musicians that haven't really heard The Beatles albums (the #1 hits don't really count ...).

Indirectly of course, modern music and art has been totally reshaped by them, without a doubt. So the influences are always there.

I think the best way to experience The Beatles is chronologically. I'm too young to have heard the albums when they came out, but when I eventually discovered that a lot of the songs I liked were from this group called 'The Beatles' - found that there is an amazing musical journey if you start with their early albums and progress in the right order ...

Maybe it's because I was learning guitar that way ...

I really like their more experimental stuff - the big hits are ok, but they covered so much ground and probably spawned more genres than is really appreciated.

I don't give them all the credit - there were a lot of extremely gifted people working together in harmony to make this all happen. The recording studio technology was basically being developed right along with them ...

The 1960's were an amazing decade in many, many ways. So many technologies came to perfection in that decade. The supersonic Concord was made in the 60's, the first man on the moon (or the best fraud in history, depending on your point of view) happened in the '60's. The framework of digital electronics and computing was laid in the '60s ... the first samplers, the first drum machines, pretty much the first of everything ... there have been relatively few new ideas since then, just evolutionary progressions ...

So i'm a fan.

And Nothing Is Real.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Unless you grew up in those times it's hard to appreciate how much influence
The Beatles had.

When they released a new song or a new album it was a world event.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I really couldn't care that much about the influence they had as a band...I genuinely think the songs themselves are genius in their own right
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
absolutly love abbey road, absolutly cant stand every other album.

its kinda weird but i just dont like their output really.. which is a little odd as they've been a huge influence on a lot of the 90's indie bands that i love.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
hmmmm i never really liked the beatles work....their production was cool but i never dug the material content much the only song i can honestly say that i like, is a day in the life for lennons emotional lyrics which i felt were genuine and thats what i really care for...that one diamond among many songs....
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Amazing stuff. What was it....Like 12 albums in 6 years or so? Who does that.... with number hits to boot and quality sound?

Few bands music evolved like theirs did. Most bands (Not all) have the same sound and style on all their LP's. From "Please Please Me" to "Help" to "Rubber Soul" to "Revolver" to "Sgt Pepper" to Abby Road" WOW. Sure there was some luck involved. There was also a whole lot of talent.

John
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
In my case, it’s difficult not to love and appreciate their work (although I absolutely gravitate to genius in simplicity). Painting a picture “in a metaphoric sense” that is elaborate and full of color and texture is a showcase of talent for sure; conversely, painting a picture that is quite ordinary yet evokes a strong connection to the majority is rare.

I’m certainly not saying the Beatles were “simple”, but sometimes creativity is easier to “pull off” going for abstract than it is going for “conventional”. The Beatles had the “conventional hook” down to a science.

Hard not like in my case…
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
a true story..believe it or not.
i was a kid at school in uk.
the first beatles song was played on the radio beeb or tv i think. forgotten.
went to school next day n announced to the class they would be the biggest thing ever.
i was told i was an idiot..got punched etc etc by the class bully.
rest is history. my mums still got "with the beatles".
my granny loved paul, ..lol.

mebe i'm wrong but i believe martin was a huge influence at parlophone.
i personally didnt like the later albums as much. just early ones.
that first one ...with the beatles has youthfull vigor imho. and joy.
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig ➡️

The Beatles are my favourite music writers ever (with the possible exception of Beethoven). I havn't played a track of theirs for maybe 2 years? They just came on on my iTunes and I was blown away all over again.

That is all
There are actually 4 ''B's'':

BEETHOVEN
BRAHMS
BRUCKNER
BEATLES
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plugin ➡️
There are actually 4 ''B's'':

BEETHOVEN
BRAHMS
BRUCKNER
BEATLES
Those four (though I'm a little low in my Brahms and Bruckner knowledge), plus six more for me.

BACH
BARTOK
BOB (DYLAN)
BAND, THE
BOWIE, DAVID
BUDDY HOLLY
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I was in the 7th grade when I first heard of the band called the Beatles. I was actually, put off by the "shamless" worship bestowed on them from the heart throbbing girls. Nevertheless, it was the best music that I had ever heard. It seemed to me that each album that they released was a new, fresh gift that has proven to offer timeless enjoyment. The planets were in perfect alignment-- musical genius, marketing genius, production genius, engineering genius, and a ripe generation. I don't ever expect to experience anything like it again.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsun ➡️
I was in the 7th grade when I first heard of the band called the Beatles. I was actually, put off by the "shamless" worship bestowed on them from the heart throbbing girls. Nevertheless, it was the best music that I had ever heard. It seemed to me that each album that they released was a new, fresh gift that has proven to offer timeless enjoyment. The planets were in perfect alignment-- musical genius, marketing genius, production genius, engineering genius, and a ripe generation. I don't ever expect to experience anything like it again.
Well said!
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

That is all

Am I missing something. I have not seen the Beatles music on itunes yet.

I have heard rumors that their music would eventually be on itunes.

Has it happened?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm not sure about that, but its on my iTunes because I have all my records stored on my mac and I play them through iTunes
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsun ➡️
+1

An interesting read. From Liverpool to Hamburg all the way up to their split up, the progression of how and why everything happened is one of the more compelling stories of our generation.

Before they wore the collarless, Epstein-inspired suits, the Beatles were the consumate rock and rollers that other bands would eventually emulate (their lifestyle, attitude and presentation as much as the music) for the next 20+ years. Most people see and readily accept the marketed version of the Beatles, but the earlier version was--arguably--the more interesting band.

Laser
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm not sure about that, but its on my iTunes because I have all my records stored on my mac and I play them through iTunes
I see. I am waiting for their music on itunes. I have loaded all the CD's I have but I would download the other songs I do not have yet as soon as itunes has their music.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just buy the CDs already. Don't forget Past Masters I & II, because that the way to get all the singles.

Consider it an essential part of your musical education.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger ➡️
Just buy the CDs already. Don't forget Past Masters I & II, because that the way to get all the singles.

Consider it an essential part of your musical education.
x2 listening to the beatles is a lesson...as well as an absolute pleasure.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaellus ➡️
hmmmm i never really liked the beatles work....their production was cool but i never dug the material content much the only song i can honestly say that i like, is a day in the life for lennons emotional lyrics which i felt were genuine and thats what i really care for...that one diamond among many songs....
Many years ago, I shared a house with this guy who was a huge Beatles fan. Oddly enough, he kept his rather impressive stereo in an upright coffin in the entry room of the house. He had a collection of about 1,200 albums.

A friend visiting us told my roommate pretty much the same as your post. My roommate sat the guy down (with a beer of course) and told him: "it's a matter of context", then proceeded to play several of the non-Beatle songs on the charts at the time the Beatles hits were dominating. Then he'd play a Beatles song that topped the same chart. After about 45 minutes, it was painfully obvious how revolutionary the Beatles sound was versus other groups of that time.

Because of the Beatles' ability to maintain their popularity 40+ years later, we tend to compare their music to the progressive styles that came after. Put in the context of the markets they had to sell their music in, the majority of their songs were really a cut above.

We tend to forget that even the Beatles had record producers and labels to satisfy before getting their work onto vinyl. It wasn't until Rubber Soul or Revolver that the Beatles had enough clout to command full creative control.

Laser
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singinto Th'Can ➡️
Those four (though I'm a little low in my Brahms and Bruckner knowledge), plus six more for me.

BACH
BARTOK
BOB (DYLAN)
BAND, THE
BOWIE, DAVID
BUDDY HOLLY

and another 6:

brat metheny
brank zappa
bled zeppelin
beminem
beach boys
backstreet boys
brittney spears
brimsky korsakov
beely dan
bakir hussain
balvin singh
ballan holdsworth
beter gabriel
bibelius
brothers of invention
bermeto pascoal
baco delucia
band on the run
beather report
baco pastorius
biles davis
baquito d'rivera
bonzalo rubalcaba
btchaikovsky

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
heh yea, beach boys. they're tops in my book. (just the brian wilson stuff)
Deleted 2848499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger ➡️
It's hard to imagine a generation of musicians that haven't really heard The Beatles albums (the #1 hits don't really count ...)
haha ya, they were boooring until rubber soul. I guess kicking it with dylan and smoking some herb will do any band some good!

all jokes aside, I'm 25 and listened to & loved the beatles since before I can remember, and hopefully there's a bunch of people in here a whole lot younger that feel the same...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I store all my stuff on Itunes as well. I'll search 'Beatles', put it on shuffle and just listen for a whole day. Absolutely love it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singinto Th'Can ➡️

BACH
BARTOK
BOB (DYLAN)
BAND, THE
BOWIE, DAVID
BUDDY HOLLY
Better add BOB Marley
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years

'
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They're bigger than Jesus (or so I heard)...

No other artist or band touches the Beatles. Fact.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The thing about the Beatles is that they were a GREAT bar band. If you watch the Paris videos on youtube, you can see their bar band persona and groove thing shining through. They're like the best bar band ever. Seeing them in a bar must have been overwhelming, even with Pete Worst.

Their first album has this bar band quality and is one of my favorites. And underneath all the production and the creativity and the songwriting and everything else that made them revolutionary, is this killer bar band that can play in many different styles and feels. So everything always grooves at this fundamental level.
📝 Reply