Quantcast
The Beatles - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Beatles
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #31
Lives for gear
 
softwareguy's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
[QUOTE]
Quote:
My roommate sat the guy down (with a beer of course) and told him: "it's a matter of context",
Quote:
haha ya, they were boooring until rubber soul.
Context is everything. All the music that is made today just assumes that early Beatles energy and explosive creativity, but until it happened . . . it hadn't happened yet.

I remember being at a friend's birthday party when I was in kindergarten. His older sister and her friends were in charge of the party, as was common in those days of big families and little money. They got a little bored with watching us run around, and decided that we were actually their lab rats and they should try an experiment on us.

They put on the first Beatles album to see what we would do.

I will never forget the sound of that record. I will never forget how we danced and ran around the room and tried to sing along with it. I'm sure that the older girls thought we were hysterically funny to watch, but it truly changed my life. It seemed unbelievable to me that you could simply walk down to the corner record store and buy this music. It was from a place beyond all of my experience.

You really have to listen to a little Buddy Holly or Elvis or Four Seasons first, then listen to those early Beatles records again. Their energy and intelligence and beauty are spellbinding.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #32
Gear Addict
 
BrianK's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Even OUT of context, the songwriting is amazing. They have two of the best singers ever, and were exceptional at arranging. They were not heavy into chops, but had exceptional FEEL, which is far more important musically.

They were also progressive (few bands are or ever have been) AND re-gressive (doing 1930s style music), or serious or funny on the same album (few ever have). They did exceedingly beautiful melodic stuff, and completely art-form noise pieces on the same #1-selling album (no one else I know has).

They constantly led the (popular) music pack... and they looked cool.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
doorknocker's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The best thing the Beatles ever did was to break up at the height of their powers.

Unlike the Stones, Who and pretty much every other great band that prevented them from becoming a parody of themselves or a mere money machine à la post-1978 Stones.

The other thing is their sense of fun and adventure, very English quaiities but unlike the Kinks (which I love) that didn't tie them to England per se. I mean, who else would do a song like 'Yellow Submarine' and even with that the production was staggering.

I also love the fact that the Beatles weren't Berklee-type players. So Paul did his guitar bits or played drums and Ringo sang, etc

.....not even mentioning the songwriting......
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
miqer's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Beatles psychedelic sound or revolver!!!!!!!!
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #35
Gear Head
 
blue shades's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
true

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning1 ➡️
a true story..believe it or not.
i was a kid at school in uk.
the first beatles song was played on the radio beeb or tv i think. forgotten.
went to school next day n announced to the class they would be the biggest thing ever.
i was told i was an idiot..got punched etc etc by the class bully.
rest is history. my mums still got "with the beatles".
my granny loved paul, ..lol.

mebe i'm wrong but i believe martin was a huge influence at parlophone.
i personally didnt like the later albums as much. just early ones.
that first one ...with the beatles has youthfull vigor imho. and joy.
When I was a kid, I saw the then unknown Beatles on a talent show on tv - and told my older brother that this band was going to change the world. Like yourself, I was advised to 'go and get lost'!

As for George Martin's influence - I feel that Lennon / McCartney's post-Beatles efforts are mostly uninspired and tedious (yawn!) - what happened to the exciting harmonies of their earlier work?
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #36
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT ➡️
Unless you grew up in those times it's hard to appreciate how much influence
The Beatles had.

When they released a new song or a new album it was a world event.
Exactly!! No itunes, no cable news, few fan mags, no google. Just a new song, out of nowhere, completely different fromt he last one, every one as good as it gets, with a new haircut or fashion and design sense to go with it. This was the soundtrack and the journey for an entire generation.

Forget context. Let the journalists worry about that. Notes are notes!!! Sound is sound. And the early stuff had MORE hooks, in LESS time (short songs, few years) than anything else ever. Masterful songcraft. Listen to a hard days night. Everything from the intro to the outro, every line of the verse, the middle 8, the solo. Everything is a hook. And for it's time, it rocked. They simply exploded with music, and innovated from day one. And their range was and is unprecedented. Yes, the style and sound of the early stuff sounds from a different era, but listen to the notes!! And how they go together!! You know...the music! 98% is amazing.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #37
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
I´m always listening their music.Got all the albuns in vinyl and one
of my dreams is play their songs on a tribute band(not a cover band...)
I would like to play their music with new arrangements.One of my favourit
songs is "I´m the walrus".
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Iggy Poop's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I'm 36 years old. So I was not able to experience the whole Beatles revolution when it happened. But I grew up with their music constantly playing in our house to the point where I took the music for granted. When I moved from home I didn't listen to them anymore but at some point I rediscovered the Beatles and from that point on I can safely say they became my all time favorite artists. It became starkly obvious to me how everything you heard on the radio could easily be traced back to them. I find it amazing how those four guys managed to accidentally find each other and combine their talents to create what would become the greatest catalog of music the world has ever and probably will ever see. I love alot of modern music and marvel at modern production but I'll never stop listening to and marveling at the Beatles. They're timeless.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #39
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
Whether they are your thing or not one must admit the planets lined up.......
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #40
Gear Guru
 
Sqye's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88fingerz ➡️
They're bigger than Jesus (or so I heard)...
.

i thought it was "longer than jesus" technically...

or was it "taller"...?......."faster?"


hmmmm

.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #41
Deleted bd1be4f
Guest
My first exposure to the Beatles' music as a kid was the Sgt. Pepper movie (that horrid one with the Bee Gees and Peter Frampton). And even though (in retrospect) the movie and renditions themselves were cheesy, the songs still shone through and I was enraptured by the music. I subsequently went out and started getting all their LPs, which began my lifelong love affair with their music.

Fast forward to college. I'm studying at Berklee, with an emphasis on harmony and composition classes. And the crazy part was that with each successive harmony course, no matter how complex the harmonic concepts got, I could always find a Beatles song that provided an example of the harmonic concept being studied at the time. Pretty incredible for a group of guys who had never studied actual harmony or could even read music.

Looking back in hindsight, no act in history has ever had the musical growth and transformation the Beatles had in 6 short years. From 1963 to 1969 to go from "Love Me Do" to "A Day in the Life" or "Strawberry Fields" is nothing short of extraordinary.

Greatest of all time as far as I'm concerned.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #42
Lives for gear
 
idylldon's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 ➡️
And the crazy part was that with each successive harmony course, no matter how complex the harmonic concepts got, I could always find a Beatles song that provided an example of the harmonic concept being studied at the time. Pretty incredible for a group of guys who had never studied actual harmony or could even read music.

Looking back in hindsight, no act in history has ever had the musical growth and transformation the Beatles had in 6 short years. From 1963 to 1969 to go from "Love Me Do" to "A Day in the Life" or "Strawberry Fields" is nothing short of extraordinary.

Greatest of all time as far as I'm concerned.
Absolutely agreed. While George Martin brought a lot of the theory to the table, especially in the early days, the lads were quick studies and didn't seem to have any trouble grasping a concept and moving it forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT ➡️
Unless you grew up in those times it's hard to appreciate how much influence
The Beatles had.

When they released a new song or a new album it was a world event.


Yep. You really had to be there to experience just how much they changed pretty much everything in such a short span of time. I'm glad that I was there as each new album came out. It was always MUCH anticipated and then discussed to death once it was released.

Indeed, they were "The four lads who shook the world."

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #43
Lives for gear
 
laser's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
The hairstyles of the Byrds on this clip make it obvious who influenced them visually.

Not quite as obvious, but even more important, are the guitars Crosby and McGuinn are playing. It's not an accident. They watched "A Hard Day's Night" and bought the exact guitars that George Harrison played in the movie: A 12-string Ricky and the Gretch Country Gentleman.

It should be noted that, on "A Hard Day's Night", Harrison was the first to use an electric 12-string (Ricky) on a hit song.

The Byrds were a great group. Not as popular as the Beatles, of course, but almost as noteworthy in what they brought to the table. No one could do a Dylan tune justice as well as the Byrds--not even Dylan.

Laser



Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier ➡️

'
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #44
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Sir Paul has done an epically great job of becoming a better and better live performer the older he gets. The only "problem" that's created is that now he is the lead singer on every song, meaning I miss what in retrospect I believe is his greatest talent of all - being the harmony voice to John Lennon that really made the group pop out of the cheap speakers around in the sixties. Of course Paul's own lead vocals are better than anyone else's lead vocals. In fact they virtually define pop. But the two super voices together, with Sir Paul always on the high part, went a long way to contributing to their immortality.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #45
Lives for gear
 
jpupo74's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I feel better now that I know some love them some don't.
I don't love them, but I do respect them.

I love the music of John Lennon and his son, Sean Lennon.
I think really carries the Indi Beatleish sound.


Cheers,
Pupo
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Digitar's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
The Beatles changed everything.

They changed the business in that they wrote their own songs.
They changed pop culture with their hairstyles and fashion.
They changed politics with their give peace a chance stance.
They made it cool to get stoned.
The hippie movement blossumed from their influence.
They widened the Generation Gap.
They created the first concept album.
They changed record production to a giant degree.
They were the voice of the sixties generation.
They became so big that they couldn't even tour.
They were seen as a dangerous influence on the youth.
They started religions burning records.
Their appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show changed mine and millions of others lives.
They created the first music videos because they couldn't tour.

The Beatles changed EVERYTHING!
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #47
Lives for gear
 
StillCrazy's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Beatles

Just a quick note on the Beatles. I was in my first successful band in the 60's (yes it was a great time to grow up in) and we were just learning Hey Jude.

I lived with my grandmother and she was gracious enough to let us clear away the living room furniture so we could practice. We practiced a couple times a week unless we were booked.

I would double on keyboards when it was called for so I was playing Hey Jude on my electronic piano and all of a sudden I hear a real piano and there was my 84 year old grandmother playing right along with us on her old upright. Turns out she was a real Beatles fan and had been since she heard them one evening when I played the Hard Days Night album.

She would always come into the room after that when we did a Beatles tune and dance or sing along with us. She wasn't a fan of a lot of the music of the 60's but she did love the Beatles.

After all these years I gotta say I cherish those memories of my grandmother and thank her for always telling me to go fo what I love. She once told me the only mistake in a persons life was not going for what you believe in.

And I still think the Beatles are the best.

Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #48
Gear Head
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCrazy ➡️
Just a quick note on the Beatles. I was in my first successful band in the 60's (yes it was a great time to grow up in) and we were just learning Hey Jude.

I lived with my grandmother and she was gracious enough to let us clear away the living room furniture so we could practice. We practiced a couple times a week unless we were booked.

I would double on keyboards when it was called for so I was playing Hey Jude on my electronic piano and all of a sudden I hear a real piano and there was my 84 year old grandmother playing right along with us on her old upright. Turns out she was a real Beatles fan and had been since she heard them one evening when I played the Hard Days Night album.

She would always come into the room after that when we did a Beatles tune and dance or sing along with us. She wasn't a fan of a lot of the music of the 60's but she did love the Beatles.

After all these years I gotta say I cherish those memories of my grandmother and thank her for always telling me to go fo what I love. She once told me the only mistake in a persons life was not going for what you believe in.

And I still think the Beatles are the best.

Excellent.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
laser's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCrazy ➡️
Turns out she was a real Beatles fan
My parents hated the Beatles. Hated their hair, hated their songs, hated the stupidity of Beatlemania. My mom told me several times that, though Paul clearly had the best voice in the group, it was "thin and scratchy".

Like many, I clearly remember the Beatles first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show--almost like it happened yesterday. I still remember my mom (out of morbid curiousity) coming out of the kitchen to see what they were all about. Her comment, of course, was: "oh my Gaaawwwd, look at their hair!"

It wasn't until 1969 that my parents were willing to give the Beatles their respect. The whole family was coming back from a restaurant in the car when, on one of THEIR radio stations, they were playing Lennon-McCartney covers done by crooners normally heard on that station.

My dad says to the three of us in the backseat: "Now THAT'S music. None of that Beatle crap."
Me: "ummm, Dad. You do realize every song since the restaurant was written by the Beatles."
Dad: "Oh, come on. The Beatles couldn't write music like that."
A few songs later, the DJ confirmed that they were Lennon-McCartney compositions.

They've never said a bad word about them since.

Laser
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #50
Lives for gear
 
malaclypse's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
the beatles are terriffic!
i listen to them every day
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #51
Gear Addict
 
Saxon-of-a-son's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Back in about 1963, my English auntie sent my older brother and sister a 45 by The Beatles--it was "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean"/"When the Saints Go Marching In." Yep, one of their first recordings, before they started writing their hit songs. Even then, the record caused a sensation among my siblings' local American friends.

When I was a kid, I traded the 45 and other early original vinyls for comic books. Doh!
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #52
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Funny... I just reread an article on the making of Sgt Peppers and decided to buy the CD. I listened to it about 3 times this weekend. I think Paul is genius and I love his bass tone and lines on that album...
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #53
Lives for gear
 
laser's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon-of-a-son ➡️
Back in about 1963, my English auntie sent my older brother and sister a 45 by The Beatles--it was "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean"/"When the Saints Go Marching In." Yep, one of their first recordings, before they started writing their hit songs. Even then, the record caused a sensation among my siblings' local American friends.

When I was a kid, I traded the 45 and other early original vinyls for comic books. Doh!
LOL! That was Tony Sheridian backed by "The Beat Brothers" who were, in fact, the Beatles. It was recorded in Germany when Sheridian and the Beatles were playing clubs in Hamburg. It was the Beatles' first time on a commercial record, released in 1961.

The Beatles learned a lot from Sheridian on showmanship and music. Sheridian, at the time, was clearly the better musician and performer. The Beatles often jammed with him on stage. The Beatles loved what Sheridian's accoustic guitar added to their sound and Sheridian loved what the Beatles' harmony did for his songs--which is why he asked them to record with him.

They were renamed "the Beat Brothers" for the record because Polydor (the label) felt the name Beatles sounded too much like "peedles", which is German slang for a small dick. It wasn't until the Beatles became famous that Polydor changed the name on the record from the Beat Brothers to the Beatles to cash in on Beatlemania.

Laser
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #54
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
I was about 12 years old, and my Scout troop had volunteered to usher for a couple of shows at the Indiana State Fair. We had just done the Andy Williams Show, and I was wandering around in the alley at the end of the fairgrounds colusseum. Suddenly, I heard a lot of screaming at the other end of the building, and a big black limo pulled up right in front of me. There was literaly just me and a couple of old farmers standing there. The doors opened and out ran 4 guys in black suits with, (at that time) really long hair. I didn't think too much about it, until 1/2 hour later I went into the arena to see the show and saw the guys from the limo on stage. I didn't hear a note they played or sang. The only sound was of the teenage girls screaming. Most amazing phenomenon I ever saw. It wasn't long after that I put together my first band. We learned the songs out of a Beatles songbook.

As an aside, when I was putting programs on the front row of seats for the Andy Williams show, he came out on stage to check something. He was dressing in tight black pants, a black t-shirt with a pack of smokes rolled up in the sleeve, and his hair slicked back in a duck tail. He kindly said a few words to me. Too bad I couldn't stand his music. But, I did learn a very important lesson about entertainers...all is not always as it seems when it comes to appearances. Rather than being disillusioned, I thought that was pretty cool.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #55
Gear Addict
 
Saxon-of-a-son's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser ➡️
LOL! That was Tony Sheridian backed by "The Beat Brothers" who were, in fact, the Beatles. It was recorded in Germany when Sheridian and the Beatles were playing clubs in Hamburg. It was the Beatles' first time on a commercial record, released in 1961.

The Beatles learned a lot from Sheridian on showmanship and music. Sheridian, at the time, was clearly the better musician and performer. The Beatles often jammed with him on stage. The Beatles loved what Sheridian's accoustic guitar added to their sound and Sheridian loved what the Beatles' harmony did for his songs--which is why he asked them to record with him.

They were renamed "the Beat Brothers" for the record because Polydor (the label) felt the name Beatles sounded too much like "peedles", which is German slang for a small dick. It wasn't until the Beatles became famous that Polydor changed the name on the record from the Beat Brothers to the Beatles to cash in on Beatlemania.

Laser
Thanks for that info. I feel even worse now. (My brother still brings that up.)

Does Michael Jackson still own all the royalty rights to the original Beatles? I recall Paul's explanation somewhat like this: when they were working on on a tune together (forget which), Paul mentioned that he'd like to bid on the rights, so Michael went right out and outbid him. "That's business," he explained to Paul.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 89 views: 13163
Avatar for Johnson Knows
Johnson Knows 10th January 2011
replies: 39 views: 11074
Avatar for aleric51
aleric51 12th May 2013
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump