Quantcast
1967 Telecaster-Pro Guitar Refinisher in CA? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1967 Telecaster-Pro Guitar Refinisher in CA?
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
1967 Telecaster-Pro Guitar Refinisher in CA?

Hello Everyone,

I just picked up a 1967 Telecaster and am in search of someone who is really talented to refinish the body for me.
Don't worry...it was already refinished once before, and they did a poor job, so I'm just looking to get it right.

I am a perfectionist and want the refin. to be flawless. Cost is pretty much irrelevant. Not sure if I want it natural or a solid painted color...the wood grain is really nice, so I'm leaning towards natural.

Looking for someone professional with a spray booth located in California (either Central Valley or Santa Barbara area) so I can meet them and can see their work first-hand. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Bryce
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by byoungman ➑️
Hello Everyone,

I just picked up a 1967 Telecaster and am in search of someone who is really talented to refinish the body for me.
Don't worry...it was already refinished once before, and they did a poor job, so I'm just looking to get it right.

I am a perfectionist and want the refin. to be flawless. Cost is pretty much irrelevant. Not sure if I want it natural or a solid painted color...the wood grain is really nice, so I'm leaning towards natural.

Looking for someone professional with a spray booth located in California (either Central Valley or Santa Barbara area) so I can meet them and can see their work first-hand. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Bryce
See if Fender will do it in Corona, CA. =)
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I didn't know they did refins., but I'd imagine they would do a really nice job. Can you just stroll in there and speak with someone? If anyone has any experience there, I'd love to hear it...

Thx
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
As far as I'm aware, you can just get in touch with the Fender Custom Shop and they'll be able to help you from there.

Another option is one that's not -too- far away from you, in Las Vegas. Ed Roman Guitars (www.edromanguitars.com) does good work as well.

Oh and make sure you take it in person, it's a great excuse to go to Vegas.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Give Fausto Reyes a call. You might find someone as good, but I guaranty you won't find anyone better. BTW, he's a master finisher at Fender during the day and runs his own business on off hours.

All Wood Finishing
1520 Commerce St. Unit C
Corona, CA
951 836-8219

You can see some examples of his clear finishes on Watson Guitars - hand built custom guitars and basses.

Cheers,
--
Don
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsays ➑️
See if Fender will do it in Corona, CA. =)
+1 on this. And for some bizarre "collector" reason, a Fender refinish is more likely to be viewed as an "authentic" refinish than someone else's.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks for all the comments.thumbsup
Never had to do this before, I would feel pretty good about dealing with Fender. Does anyone know if I can actually walk in there and talk with someone? Guess I'll be making some calls down there on Monday.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
An excellent custom builder in Glendora:

WELCOME TO THE HOME OF GMW GUITAR WORKS!!!!!!!!!!

Their finish work is nothing less than top-notch. If the Fender custom shop doesn't work out, I'd seriously give these guys a call.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Try Michael Dolan in Santa Rosa.

I ship him basses from Maui, and he has done excellent work and his prices are very fair.

He is also excellent with electronics, and his copper shielding jobs make old instruments silent.

Michael Dolan Custom Guitars
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka ➑️
+1 on this. And for some bizarre "collector" reason, a Fender refinish is more likely to be viewed as an "authentic" refinish than someone else's.
I couldn't agree more. Not to discredit the other places mentioned here. I assume they're all reputable and great. I just think the shop in Corona, where they build those tele's, is the shop of shops.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just a FYI...
Called Fender and they no longer do re-fin's.
They referred me to Lay's Guitar in OH. Was quoted $480
for a natural (nitrocell) finish, no relic'ing. Is this the going rate to strip/re-finish a guitar body?
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Maybe you should just leave it alone ..I love my old teles all old 'n stuff.
'
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
It is an uneven, poor re-fin currently. I would imagine someone was in a mind-altered state when they did it (or had no woodworking aptitude). This guitar deserves better. Will post pix later.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
pix
Attached Thumbnails
1967 Telecaster-Pro Guitar Refinisher in CA?-67telecaster.jpg  
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…