The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focal Solo6 break-in
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Focal Solo6 break-in

I'm about to get my solo 6s and I read a lot about breaking them in
could you give me an idea on how long does it take to do this?
does it matter how loud do you play them to accelerate this process?

thanks
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
my recommendation:

give em´ 2-6 hours on low volume. the longer the better.

the next days of usage only work at medium volume and try to avoid short listening runs. let them play at medium volume for a total of 4 hours including mixing/listening.

do that for the next 2-4 sessions. don´t crank them up before!
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'm running in some Twins as I write this. The manual recommends to "avoid pushing the speakers very hard during their first hours of use." Focal also say to operate at moderate levels for 20 hours or so, with programs having significant low frequency content. I kept mine quite low for the first 8 hours or so, then the next day, I increased level gradually, operating them all day long. I'm going to get a solid 30 hours of moderate playback through them, and after that, they should be good to go. I won't rail them too hard for some time yet, at least till I get a week or so out of them, although it's tempting. According to Focal, it could take up to a few weeks for the transducers to stabilize, and therefore achieve optimal operation.

They sounded quite tight right out of the box, but I've really noticed a difference after about 24 hours now.

The same manual applies to both the Twins, Solo6, and sub, just so you know.

Hope that helps.
Old 3rd May 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Volume db?

After break in, what db are you using on back of focal outputs?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you mean _inputs_ .... and it depends on your source. normal. pro studio gear: +4dB... -10dB would be MUCH LOUDER (read: increased sensitivity)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A good 50 hours will do it. I think they tend to settle quite a bit after the 20 hour mark that Focal states. Congrats! They are killer monitors.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yeah for the 1st 2-3 days keep it lower in volume and you should be able to start getting louder after that. Love my Focals. I even master projects with them.
Old 4th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
don't worry about it. they'll be excellent. find me the guy who ran them too loud the first couple of times and now has ****ty speakers.... use 'em! you'd have to be a major moron to hurt them out the box.
Old 4th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
moderate volume the 1st 2 days,then you can start pushing them.
I had the Solo 6's ,now I have the Twin 6's both are great monitors!
Focal's take about 200 to 300 hours to sound the way they will sound after proper break-in time.
Enjoy them
Old 1st December 2013
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
just curious what the harm is in "pushing them hard" during the first several hours of play. When I sold hi-fi back in the day, we would crank the volume of new speakers that were going to go on the showroom floor. This accelerated the burn-in process by a fair bit (compared to playing at lower volumes to start).
Old 1st December 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainj ➡️
just curious what the harm is in "pushing them hard" during the first several hours of play. When I sold hi-fi back in the day, we would crank the volume of new speakers that were going to go on the showroom floor. This accelerated the burn-in process by a fair bit (compared to playing at lower volumes to start).
Not sure about negative effects but my solos started sounding smoother after about 15-20 hours of moderate listening. After dropping that amount of cash I didn't think twice about following the manufacturers instructions.

Sent from my SPH-L710
📝 Reply