The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Pop Filter
Old 11th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKosherButcher ➡️
I've been using this for the past year, and I've found it to not only sound transparent, and effective at stopping plosives, but it also happens to be one of the best designed products I've used in quite a while. In fact, my only complaint is that it isn't as widely available in the U.S. The clamp on this thing allows for quick and easy attachment, the gooseneck, unlike most competing products, actually stays exactly how I position it, and the interchangeable heads make it easy to keep clean and sanitary. Seriously, now that I have it, I can't find a single flaw, and I use this thing every single day. And I don't leave it clipped to the same mic/mic stand. I put this thing in a bag, travel with it, and set it up again, every day. And it works as well now as the day I got it. And should the need arise, I have the option to purchase new heads for it! (although it generously comes with 4)

I have absolutely zero affiliation with the company. I'm nothing more than a happy, impressed, customer. I intend to post an official review soon.

https://www.popaudio.co.uk/

-TKB
I did mention them some messages ago, many options in one and holds in place. A good product I think without using one yet

Matti

OOPS! Already discussed ...
Old 11th August 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Best pop filter: https://ibb.co/f4c4uv

Only cost me a trip to my wifes panty droor while she was asleep
Old 11th August 2017
Here for the gear

Another vote for the JZ pop filter. I had been using a stedman for a while for voiceover but it occasionally resonates in a way that shows up on my recordings. No such issue with the JZ.
Old 11th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If it has to be metal, yes, get the JZ.
Old 12th August 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti ➡️
I did mention them some messages ago, many options in one and holds in place. A good product I think without using one yet

Matti

OOPS! Already discussed ...
That doesn't fall under the "Oops! already discussed", as you said you've never used one...

I wasn't being redundant by offering my take on the product, being that no one else on the thread had mentioned ever using one...
Old 9th May 2020
Gear Nut

I sing pretty dang quiet, thus having to be real close to my mic to get a good signal going. Is a pop filter pointless? I'm getting the sound I want but getting some harsh S sounds generally that are hard to EQ/d'ess out. Would be getting a darker mic or something be a better route?
Old 10th May 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 6833614
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyj ➡️
I sing pretty dang quiet, thus having to be real close to my mic to get a good signal going. Is a pop filter pointless? I'm getting the sound I want but getting some harsh S sounds generally that are hard to EQ/d'ess out. Would be getting a darker mic or something be a better route?
You could use one just to protect it from spit and your dinner flying into it.

What mic do you use?
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Greg ➡️
You could use one just to protect it from spit and your dinner flying into it.

What mic do you use?
Nothing too fancy, Avantone CK-7 into a motu 8pre.
Old 10th May 2020
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Pop filters all screw up the midrange.

You can learn to not pop by placing the mike to the side of your mouth and moving your head slightly on plosives. You can practice by just using your hand to feel exactly where your breath goes while you sing and then placing the mike wherever you found there is little breath.
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➡️

You can learn to not pop by placing the mike to the side of your mouth and moving your head slightly on plosives. You can practice by just using your hand to feel exactly where your breath goes while you sing and then placing the mike wherever you found there is little breath.
you should try mine.
Deleted 6833614
Quote:
Nothing too fancy, Avantone CK-7 into a motu 8pre.
Probably just a bright mic. You don't need a dark one, it will just substitute one problem with another. Just something that doesn't have a crazy boost in sibilant frequencies.
Old 10th May 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
BLUE

or the
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➡️
you should try mine.
I probably have!

The other thing is that pops are trivial to transparently fix in digital files.
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I probably have!
if you had you would not make the coment and include my design.

Quote:
Old 11th May 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No they don't !

Fabric ones certainly affect the sound, but a good foam one (eg: HÃ¥kan Pop Killer) is transparent.

Old 11th May 2020
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
All I can say is that I've demonstrated this to people so many times it's ridiculous. You CAN learn how not to pop which will allow using much better-sounding microphones for live shows as well as for recording or broadcasting.
Old 12th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bob Olhsson has once again provided sage advice that some of us choose to ignore. If a trio of "Father, Son and Holy Ghost" should happen to appear providing cogent life advice a number of our contributors would offer opposing views. Perhaps the ubiquitous SM58 has created a brain dead majority of performers that can not move their lips away from the mic grill but the fact remains that Bob is exactly right: Learning how to work a high quality mic is the key to sonic superiority.
Many years ago I found my sweet spot to mic my guitar/vocal track simultaneously: today I use a Flea 47 tube mic. A decent pair of tracking phones and a willing mind to try various mic locations can and will provide a path to much better recordings and live performance!
Hugh
Old 12th May 2020
Gear Maniac
Given that a lot of people here are recording other people, the fact that it's possible to not need a pop filter is moot. You can't expect all your clients to know how to sing without a filter.

So, does anyone have experience with the "Pop Audio" pop filter?
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_T_Music ➡️
... You can't expect all your clients to know how to sing without a filter...
I've never had any problem teaching my clients in only a few minutes!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
If it is the S sounds that are bad, a pop filter won't fix that.
Old 11th July 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I'm tempted by the Hakan but also aware that most of the endorsements in this thread (and elsewhere online) have been generated by John Willett - who also happens to be the UK distributor for Hakan!

So is there a user consensus on the Hakan? Anyone compared it to its rivals? Anything else I should consider?

Old 11th July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coso ➡️
I'm tempted by the Hakan but also aware that most of the endorsements in this thread (and elsewhere online) have been generated by John Willett - who also happens to be the UK distributor for Hakan!

So is there a user consensus on the Hakan? Anyone compared it to its rivals? Anything else I should consider?

I kinda like the material for this purpose. It's very coarse open cell foam. It will not reflect and resonate like metal will, nor "flutter and rumble" (excuse poor wording) like nylon mesh can do, and it's much more transparent than regular foam.
And/but it does what it is supposed to do, that is taming plosives.

You'll find the same material used for pond pump filters, tumble dryer filters etc. BTW.
But you'd still need (to buy or make) a holder of course.
Old 11th July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I was watching a behind the scenes of the recording of "We are the world" the other day and the pop filters looked almost homemade out of pantyhose.
Old 12th July 2020 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd ➡️
I've used the Stedman, it's okay. But the best pop filter I've ever used:
Petes Place Audio
Old 27th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coso ➡️

Häkan is good for sound transparency but it’s not as good at stopping plosives. I own 1. In my opinion, the absolute best (I have not tried the blast pad) is the Pauly Ton Superscreen. I have 4. Stops plosives and cannot be heard. Sounds like it’s not there. Pretty amazing.
Old 6th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Also looking for a new pop filter.
I have the Hakan and a Tascam ( which are used by many proguys nowadays) . The hakan is more transparent but messes with the high frequency quite a bit to my ears. Also have a ring in the 3khz with it which is impossible to eq out sometimes. The tascam sound much better on the topend but a little more congested. The stedman looks good but I dont want to destroy the capsule on my mic.
So only option to upgrade is the Pauly?! Still consensus that this is the best??
📝 Reply