Quantcast
Best Pop Filter - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Pop Filter
Old 10th September 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
reticulated foam

What about buying a sheet of this stuff and making your own: .75" x 38" x 52" Black 60 PPI Reticulated Polyester Foam Sheet | U.S. Plastic Corp.
Old 11th September 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnitt ➡️
Singers hat. No pops or proximity issues. $4.99 new on ebay.

Old 12th September 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Are there any issues with using the Pauly with a Triad Orbit?
Old 12th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So much ado about nothing.
If a singer can't control the voice, your grandmother's stocking is as good as anything.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern ➡️
So much ado about nothing.
If a singer can't control the voice, your grandmother's stocking is as good as anything.
Are they cheap?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+

+Keeping with the stocking theme though, I bet that the best most efficient pop screen would be:

You take a badminton racket cause they are cheap. Unstring it and slide a nylon stocking over it. Now you have 2 layers with 1/4" between. If a plosive gets by the first layer...BAM! the second layer gets it.
For the sssuper sssere"s and the "i can't control the beginning or ending of any word in these sentences"..
Just put a second pair on.

Last edited by cavern; 12th September 2015 at 07:10 AM..
Old 18th July 2017
SEED78
Lil bump on old thread. I've got the Hakan. So far I'm not hugely impressed with it. Def has less negative effect on the recording than my cheaper popfilter, put its letting pops through. My main condenser sounds best up close, Hakan might not be the one for that.

I'm trying the Rycote next as already have the Rycote shock mount. I feel the Hakan really should be twice the size, the Rycote is thinner, but its wider which can't hurt. I'll sell both if I don't like them, and try Pauly or Pete next..
Old 19th July 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 ➡️
Lil bump on old thread. I've got the Hakan. So far I'm not hugely impressed with it. Def has less negative effect on the recording than my cheaper popfilter, put its letting pops through. My main condenser sounds best up close, Hakan might not be the one for that.

I'm trying the Rycote next as already have the Rycote shock mount. I feel the Hakan really should be twice the size, the Rycote is thinner, but its wider which can't hurt. I'll sell both if I don't like them, and try Pauly or Pete next..
Pop protection also comes from distance.

The Rycote is half the thickness of the Håkan, so will let pops through that won't get through the Håkan.

But if you have the pop filter close to the mic. and sing close to the filter, any filter will let pops through.

Move the pop filter a little further from the mic. (the Rycote will not let you put it close as it fixes to the stand at a fixed distance - the Håkan at the same distance will be better).

If you HAVE to sing close to get the sound you want - sing slightly off-axis so the plosives go across the mic. and not into it. You will still get the proximity effect but less plosives.

If the mic. is switchable pattern and you have it on cardioid - try putting it into super-cardioid or fig-8; these patterns have a higher proximity effect and you can sing further away and get the same proximity effect that you do closer with a cardioid.

I hope this helps.
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➡️

The Rycote is half the thickness of the Håkan, so will let pops through that won't get through the Håkan.

But if you have the pop filter close to the mic. and sing close to the filter, any filter will let pops through.

Move the pop filter a little further from the mic. (the Rycote will not let you put it close as it fixes to the stand at a fixed distance - the Håkan at the same distance will be better).

If you HAVE to sing close to get the sound you want - sing slightly off-axis so the plosives go across the mic. and not into it. You will still get the proximity effect but less plosives.

If the mic. is switchable pattern and you have it on cardioid - try putting it into super-cardioid or fig-8; these patterns have a higher proximity effect and you can sing further away and get the same proximity effect that you do closer with a cardioid.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for that - will def double try some of those things, I always take my time with these things so was going to try a few distance tests. If I need to change pattern I'd like to try a more heavy duty pop shield though.The mic in question doesn't perform great off axis either.

Comparing the Hakai to other pop filters its MUCH smaller actual surface area wise than a standard cheap and cheerful pop filter. The Rycote even though its thinner covers a larger area, and even though the distance is fixed its at least covering a consistent area of the mic's capsule. The foam is maybe different too, so thickness might not be a issue.

I also saw another user of Hakan on here that put 2 of them together to double the thickness - as he was having trouble with pops too. he was using a ADK ZMod 67 mic from memory.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for that - will def double try some of those things, I always take my time with these things so was going to try a few distance tests. If I need to change pattern I'd like to try a more heavy duty pop shield though.

Comparing the Hakai to other pop filters its MUCH smaller actually surface area wise than a standard cheap and cheerful pop filter. The Rycote even though its thinner covers a larger area, and even though the distance is fixed its at least covering a consistent area of the mic's capsule.

I also saw another user of Hakan on here that put 2 of them together to double the thickness - as he was having trouble with pops too.
The surface area does not matter that much if you sing into the filter.

If you want a Håkan with double thickness it's not a problem as spare foams are easily available if you want an extra one.

I have done blast tests with both the Håkan and Rycote filters by holding them between my mouth and my hand and blowing as hard as I could - with the Håkan I felt nothing, with the Rycote I could (though, of course, at a vastly lower level than no filter at all).

Ideally any filter needs to be an inch or two away from the mic. for best effect.
Old 19th July 2017
SEED78
I don't really want to use another Hakan foam (to double up) as would surely have to buy the goose neck too?

maybe I was having a off day with placement - will mess with the Hakan some more, the Rycote arrived today, will try that too.
Old 19th July 2017
SEED78
also, because the Hakan is dense, I can't actually see the head of the mic through it.

might not be a good thing for positioning with some singers.

may not be a deal breaker for most, but thought I'd mention it....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I hope this helps.
I tried a couple of Windtech Popgards as it seemed they would be a convenient solution but yes, turns out they mount a bit too close.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't really want to use another Hakan foam (to double up) as would surely have to buy the goose neck too?
No, you can buy the foam disk on its own, without the gooseneck.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
also, because the Hakan is dense, I can't actually see the head of the mic through it.

might not be a good thing for positioning with some singers.

may not be a deal breaker for most, but thought I'd mention it....
The Håkan foam is not dense at all, that's why it works so well.
SEED78
Quote:
No, you can buy the foam disk on its own, without the gooseneck.
I'm very aware of that, but missed the point, what am I mounting it to if I double up? A second goose neck surely??
SEED78
Quote:
The Håkan foam is not dense at all, that's why it works so well.
It's obscuring my view of the mic compared to other pop shields was my point.
Old 20th July 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm very aware of that, but missed the point, what am I mounting it to if I double up? A second goose neck surely??
To be honest, I have never seen the point of a second filter as a single one does stop plosives very effectively - providing you leave the space between the filter and the mic.

Two goosenecks would take up room and they should not touch or they will make noises while ypu use them.

There are several ways I can think of to join two foams together on a single mount - some more Heath Robinson than others.
Lives for gear

Quote:

I stopped using pop filters awhile back for my own stuff because I was losing too much of the capsule's full potential. I started using the technique mentioned above and it works especially with mics like the Violet Amethyst that just sounds so much better up close. Sing past the capsule.
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
https://intshop.jzmic.com/collection...cts/pop-filter
This has been good for my uses.

Matti
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti ➡️
Interesting, but about twice the price of the Håkan
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
But then I have those self made embroidery hoop ones to balance the cost

Matti
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
https://www.popaudio.co.uk/
These new ones could be good for every use

Matti
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti ➡️
https://intshop.jzmic.com/collection...cts/pop-filter
This has been good for my uses.

Matti
I trust JZ products, will check that out
Old 21st July 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The blast pad...albeit expensive, will solve all plosive issues...

Quote:
I trust JZ products, will check that out
Old 2nd August 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I recently had an alarming issue with an Apex pop filter I purchased that had a strong toxic odur which was causing chest tightening and breathing problems for myself. I went and bought a stedman pop filter today which is made of metal, but I've noticed it's not as effective as stopping the plosives as the toxic Apex filter. I find it so annoying that I spent so much time researching to buy all my gear and I thought a pop filter would be the last of my worries. Now this is becoming the most tedious process and I don't know what to do.

When I vocalized further away from the pop filter, the plosives were tamed to my liking, but I shouldn't have to go far away from a pop filter in order for it to be effective. I spent nearly $60 for it, and it's not as effective in doing its job as the $25 Apex filter which I can't use due to health issues.

Do you guys think that if I place a nylon pantyhose fabric over my stedman metal mesh, the plosives won't get through as much? Will the sound result be weird if I combine metal w/ Nylon?
Old 2nd August 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruju ➡️
I recently had an alarming issue with an Apex pop filter I purchased that had a strong toxic odur which was causing chest tightening and breathing problems for myself. I went and bought a stedman pop filter today which is made of metal, but I've noticed it's not as effective as stopping the plosives as the toxic Apex filter. I find it so annoying that I spent so much time researching to buy all my gear and I thought a pop filter would be the last of my worries. Now this is becoming the most tedious process and I don't know what to do.

When I vocalized further away from the pop filter, the plosives were tamed to my liking, but I shouldn't have to go far away from a pop filter in order for it to be effective. I spent nearly $60 for it, and it's not as effective in doing its job as the $25 Apex filter which I can't use due to health issues.

Do you guys think that if I place a nylon pantyhose fabric over my stedman metal mesh, the plosives won't get through as much? Will the sound result be weird if I combine metal w/ Nylon?
PM sent - possible solution
Old 2nd August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have a feeling it might have something to do with open-cell foam.
Old 2nd August 2017
Gear Maniac

I've been using this for the past year, and I've found it to not only sound transparent, and effective at stopping plosives, but it also happens to be one of the best designed products I've used in quite a while. In fact, my only complaint is that it isn't as widely available in the U.S. The clamp on this thing allows for quick and easy attachment, the gooseneck, unlike most competing products, actually stays exactly how I position it, and the interchangeable heads make it easy to keep clean and sanitary. Seriously, now that I have it, I can't find a single flaw, and I use this thing every single day. And I don't leave it clipped to the same mic/mic stand. I put this thing in a bag, travel with it, and set it up again, every day. And it works as well now as the day I got it. And should the need arise, I have the option to purchase new heads for it! (although it generously comes with 4)

I have absolutely zero affiliation with the company. I'm nothing more than a happy, impressed, customer. I intend to post an official review soon.

-TKB
Old 11th August 2017 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKosherButcher ➡️
I've been using this for the past year, and I've found it to not only sound transparent, and effective at stopping plosives, but it also happens to be one of the best designed products I've used in quite a while. In fact, my only complaint is that it isn't as widely available in the U.S. The clamp on this thing allows for quick and easy attachment, the gooseneck, unlike most competing products, actually stays exactly how I position it, and the interchangeable heads make it easy to keep clean and sanitary. Seriously, now that I have it, I can't find a single flaw, and I use this thing every single day. And I don't leave it clipped to the same mic/mic stand. I put this thing in a bag, travel with it, and set it up again, every day. And it works as well now as the day I got it. And should the need arise, I have the option to purchase new heads for it! (although it generously comes with 4)

I have absolutely zero affiliation with the company. I'm nothing more than a happy, impressed, customer. I intend to post an official review soon.

-TKB
Whoa! Thanks for the amazing comments, we were in a two-year long development process for our Pop Filter range so to hear customer feedback like yours makes us at Pop Audio HQ really pleased!

In regards to US distribution, it was a slow start as we wanted to make sure we found the right fit distribution wise but having found that and now partnered with APS/Plurision as our North American distributors this is speeding up and our filters are now spreading across the US. If anyone has any troubles getting hold of one or being able to demo one in a store just let us know, we're more than happy to help out.

Thanks again for the awesome comments and spreading the Pop Audio love! We're looking forward to reading your full review! Happy recording
📝 Reply