Quantcast
Best Pop Filter - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Pop Filter
Old 24th December 2011
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Best is none and teaching the singer how to not pop or else high-passing the pops after the fact!

Second best is a pencil placed to break the air stream.

Pop screens all screw up the midrange which generally isn't worth doing.
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Mikey: point me to a cheap chinese mesh filter... I want to try one. I'm a sucker for anything cheap. EDIT: I think I'm misinterpreting the word "mesh" -- I assumed you were talking about the Hakan-style thick mesh, but perhaps you're talking about the simple thin nylon.

FWIW, the Hakan P110 mesh itself is 15 British pounds if you scroll to the bottom of the page. Not very expensive. I haven't find anyone in the US that sells the filter, though.
Old 24th December 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The one that you use at an angle.
Old 24th December 2011
Deleted User
Funny how the Stedman was praised around here when i bought it, Now its a POS, hmm
Typical GS
Old 24th December 2011
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➡️
a reticulated foam filter, but the Pete's Place Blast Pad is the very best you can get!
I love it! Nothing comes close
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@Lights ya i meant nylon

If you do a ebay search for "pop filter" and change it to lowest price+shipping you can pick and choose.

Heres one Musician's Gear Pop Filter | eBay

I got mine straight from china, this one is probably the same thing and from the states!

I seem to have some mid range mud in my vocal tracks and now im thinking it could be the cheap pop filter. Ill have to borrow a better one and see if it is that.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The one from Abbeyheh .. we use the copy
Old 24th December 2011
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
This one is the best. Hands down.
Expensive but payable.

http://schmitronicshop.de/index.php?...roducts_id=649
Old 26th December 2011 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➡️
But $300
if you seen one and recognized all its uses you would understand the price.
it would be ( i believe ), near impossible to offer it for any less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➡️
Best is none and teaching the singer how to not pop or else high-passing the pops after the fact!

Second best is a pencil placed to break the air stream.

Pop screens all screw up the midrange which generally isn't worth doing.
most of the time i would agree Bob, but ask that that use and understand the blast pad and all its uses, it is a tool most will want as well as find they need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maagaudio ➡️
I use the Blast Pad. I am planning on getting another. It is the best, by far!
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegua ➡️
I love it! Nothing comes close
heh
Nothing comes close
Old 26th December 2011
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Stedman.
Old 27th December 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plexisys ➡️
I'm more concerned about protecting the mic capsule. I've got a Wagner U47w coming. I've used some pretty cheap filters up untill now so I want to make sure I've got something that does a good job and protects the mic.
what microphone is in that pic....whats he using?
Old 1st February 2012
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Just FYI, I was able to secure one of those P110 pop screens that was listed above. (I was curious...) and it arrived in Seattle today. I'm hoping it will make it to my house by end of day tomorrow as I have a recording session with my female vocalist tomorrow night. I'll post my impressions in the next few days.

It wasn't easy to track down how to get this thing in the US. It's not carried anywhere. And it took quite some time to get it here. I hope it was worth it!!
Old 4th February 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
P110 Test with Audio

Hey guys:

My female vocalist had to delay a week. But in lieu of that I did a 1 minute test of the P110 "colorless" popscreen of my own with my Stellar CM-6. Here is the audio.

It is 100% unprocessed. I was just singing a capella without any music so please excuse if I go sharp or flat or whatever (the passage is from an unpublished song of mine that has a lot of plosives in the chorus).

First I have the popscreen on. Then I tried to reproduce the performance with the popscreen off. Hopefully I was in the same position, but I had to move a bit to take the popscreen out of the frame and to stop and start the recording. As far as I can tell, aside from the lack of plosives, the audio is identical before and after (within reason given that they had to be 2 different takes).

I'm impressed. And it was nowhere NEAR the price many of the favorites listed here. The only challenge is that it's not carried here in the USA.. but my favorite sales rep was able to track it down for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Pop Filter-popscreen.jpg  
Attached Files

Popscreen Test.wav (5.05 MB, 3133 views)

Old 4th February 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights ➡️
P110 "colorless" popscreen ........ The only challenge is that it's not carried here in the USA.. but my favorite sales rep was able to track it down for me.
KMR in the UK sell them and will ship to the States.
Old 5th February 2012
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
That's cool. The original place posted above said they couldn't sell to the U.S.

I got mine from [email protected] / [email protected] (Guitar Center Pro Division)--he found it through one of his European mic suppliers. That way I didn't have to pay the international shipping.
Old 12th September 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I bought one Hakan PT110 from John today, i let you know how it sound!
Old 12th September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Mo ➡️
I bought one HÃ¥kan PT110 from John today, i let you know how it sound!
Thanks - it's already on the way (and I will also sell to the US if there is no dealer there).
Old 12th September 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I use the Blue pop filter. But for critical close in work I use the Blue and a Stedman nylon pop filter.
Old 13th September 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
What about these?
Attached Thumbnails
Best Pop Filter-dv020_jpg_jumbo_271392_001_black.jpg  
Old 13th September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo22 ➡️
What about these?
Not as effective as a pop filter - you need the gap between the filter and the mic. to increase the protection.

This has a fine foam and is close to the mic. A pop filter is held away from the mic. and a good foam pop filter has a very course foam to stop the pops while preventing colouration.
Old 15th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I have found the (newer) JZ pop filter to be extremely effective. It´s the design with the wave-shaped dual metal thing. I used various nylon and metal screens before the jz and none were as effective. It does not color the sound imho and when set up precisely (it is pretty small so it needs to be centered right in front of the capsule) it works surprisingly well. It seems to let a little bit of pop through but what remains happens in a very (!) low frequency area as opposed to the usual popping bump....and I must admit I found that this sometimes sounds cool, seriously. If it is not wanted it can be removed pretty easily with a low cut because it sits so low down there. Before the JZ I often used two popfilters in series, now the jz alone is sufficient. I still want to try the Pauly and the Rycote though, although the Rycote looks like an unshaved pu**y. Maybe I´ll skip the Rycote.
Old 19th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In case anyone stumbles upon the Hakan P110 pop filter and starts hearing about how it's the only affordable pop filter which doesn't distort the midrange, based on my experience, a bigger issue would be "does it stop pops at all?"

I would answer NO, it doesn't. Every single P and B I sing comes out exactly like I sung it -- which in this case is the last thing I want.

I even went out of my way to order it from England.

Thanks, but I'll take the compromised midrange (which neither I nor anyone else who heard my productions ever noticed) over not working at all any day of the week.
Old 19th July 2014 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
not ashamed to say it, said it before i'll say it again.Pete's Place Blast Pad at AES 2009 on Vimeo
Done the best!
Yep nothing better!

I got yet another call the other day from an award winning engineer raving about how the Blast Filter was the best he had ever used.
Old 20th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
He may excel at making pop filters but I reckon his marketing plan excludes 99% of the people who could use his product.
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Another vote for the Blast Pad
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg ➡️
In case anyone stumbles upon the Hakan P110 pop filter and starts hearing about how it's the only affordable pop filter which doesn't distort the midrange, based on my experience, a bigger issue would be "does it stop pops at all?"

I would answer NO, it doesn't. Every single P and B I sing comes out exactly like I sung it -- which in this case is the last thing I want.

I even went out of my way to order it from England.

Thanks, but I'll take the compromised midrange (which neither I nor anyone else who heard my productions ever noticed) over not working at all any day of the week.
I'm puzzled as you are the *only* person to say this.

Someone started a thread on the Sound On Sound forum just to praise the P110, saying: "It's that damn good. If you have a gnat's buttock voice like mine that has so much damn 'air' that I often fall backwards then you HAVE to get this shield. Best money I have spent in ages."

Hugh Robjohns in his review said: "To my ears the P110 is completely transparent and brilliantly effective, and the new gooseneck version is very easy to use with any microphone in any configuration. The P110 is a little more expensive than the typical budget fabric units, but less expensive than most metal options and a certain German mic manufacturer's bespoke model. However, it sounds more transparent than all of them and is far better engineered than most. If you are in need of a pop screen — and who isn't? — I can't recommend the Håkan P110 highly enough."

So I cannot understand why you think it doesn't work.

It's not supposed to change every P and B you sing and they are supposed to sound exactly like you sing them - it's just designed to prevent the plosives from popping the diaphragm, which it does do extremely well.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I kind of wonder if worrying about finding the best pop filter isn't just another one of the GS hyping up of unnecessary small stuff that mean little in the final analysis.
I've used a few different pop filters, but as far as I am concerned a stocking in an embroidery hoop works just fine.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➡️
not ashamed to say it, said it before i'll say it again.Pete's Place Blast Pad at AES 2009 on Vimeo
Done the best!
Yep nothing better!

I got yet another call the other day from an award winning engineer raving about how the Blast Filter was the best he had ever used.
You should have him fix the typo(s) on the site. At $300 for a pop filter I left after the first one, others might be inclined to do the same.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
nvm, I guess, when I said "he" I meant "you".

Filter SPL | Pete's Place Audio | Audio Products and Overview

Edit: It says the filter was designed by you, I guess I jumped to the conclusion that you also run the site.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For those in the US who are curious about the Hakan pop filter, Rycote sells a similar type of pop filter; similar in that they both use open cell foam, sort of like the material one sees in a washable furnace filter. I own a Rycote, and I like it a lot. You can buy a Rycote in the US more easily than you can buy a Hakan.
📝 Reply