Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Analog Taste Test- Nashville, TN Feb 20th

"Welcome To 1979" Studio -
1110 48th Ave North
Nashville, TN 37209
Friday Feb 20th @ 7pm

ATTN: Official tasters wanted!
You’re invited to try for yourself what we believe is the new way to go old school.

Here’s the scoop--More and more engineers are bringing their projects to Welcome To 1979 to spice up their mixes by taking select tracks out of their digital realm, running them through our vintage console, tape machines, and/or various pieces of analog outboard gear, then re-recording the “vintaged” tracks back into their mixes after they’ve actually hit tape, and wow; what a difference a tape makes!

So here’s what we’ve cooked up--Instead of relying on hard/software “analog simulators” that pale by comparison, we’d like to invite everyone to bring your hard drives (or DVD backups) in and let us walk you through the uber-simple process with our sonic buffet of real analog hardware…and the process also works awesome for completed mixes via our diverse selection of analog 2-track machines. (six total). We even encourage “take-out”; take the results home to hear the difference for yourself in your own familiar audio environment.

All the fun you can eat--If you’ve been to one of our parties before, you’ll know it’s going to be a really laid back, fun, yet informative event designed to allow you to draw solid conclusions about how analog can interface with digital like warm apple pie interfaces with ice cream. The audio feast starts at 7pm, and please call now if you’d like a one-on-one demonstration; we’re scheduling them in half-hour intervals starting at 4pm. We’d love to have you!

Chris Mara
email questions/comments to [email protected]

Bon AppΓ©tit
Old 7th February 2009
Deleted 2848499
Cool, Chris. I think it's great your doing this stuff, Keep it up!

Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiZKiD ➑️
Cool, Chris. I think it's great your doing this stuff, Keep it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot ➑️
Good on you man, I've heard good reports. thumbsup

Can't come tonight though - busy doing tempo/MIDI remapping.heh
Thanks for the support guys- as cheesy as it sounds, we're really trying to build a sense of community at '79. And Bryan, we're doing monthly engineer hangs too- the next one is Feb 27th, perhaps you can make it out then?

Rock.

Chris Mara
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Next Friday guys!

Dig on the fancy invite & please pass this thread on to anyone you'd think would like to attend!

Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Chris, I have been following this for a while. What a great idea..!

1) Keeps old gear relevant and in use.

2) Another way to sell your business and keep your doors open.

3) Informative and real education for new school guys/gals who were taught/work strictly in the digital environment.

4) Analog rules and should always have a place in music..

enough said.. I wish you much success..!

Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
wow- you really hit the nail on the head there!

thanks for the support, it means a LOT!

-chris mara
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Just an idea...

Instead of "Set Digital Faders to Zero", it might be worth the effort to set the digital faders to a level that corresponds with hitting the console/tape machines "sweet spot" for that particular source. Then setting the return track levels to reciprocate.

People that like to "use all their bits" can cream a line amp pretty fast.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Chris . . . long time no hear. Good to see you here. Happy to see you now have your own place. It looks great. I know where you are coming from. I HAD to buy PT for business reasons (for outside engineers), but it sat in the studio in the boxes it came in for three months before I even opened it. I HATED buying that crap. I hardly ever use it . . . still tape for me. Glad to see you are still keeping the good fight alive, as I am.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKden ➑️
Just an idea...

Instead of "Set Digital Faders to Zero", it might be worth the effort to set the digital faders to a level that corresponds with hitting the console/tape machines "sweet spot" for that particular source. Then setting the return track levels to reciprocate.

People that like to "use all their bits" can cream a line amp pretty fast.
we do a lot of final mixes to tape, and yea, people mix 'em really, really hot. i've found that utilizing analog gain stages sounds better, and the console's fader input can take the heat because it's after the line amp. we just lower the console's fader level so the channel line output amp doesn't get creamed and set appropriate levels to tape. we even monitor off the repro head to find the "sweet spot" on tape, then rewind and print it. i also keep the 'new' tracks in PT at zero as well, and listen to apparent volumes pre & post tape, then match them up via analog gain staging - which helps with the A/B'ing process....unless we wanna slam tape really hard, then it sometimes throws that out the window! LOL

love your input- are you coming over on the 20th? bring a project to mess with!

-chris
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox ➑️
Chris . . . long time no hear. Good to see you here. Happy to see you now have your own place. It looks great. I know where you are coming from. I HAD to buy PT for business reasons (for outside engineers), but it sat in the studio in the boxes it came in for three months before I even opened it. I HATED buying that crap. I hardly ever use it . . . still tape for me. Glad to see you are still keeping the good fight alive, as I am.
hey knox! didn't see your post when i replied last. yea, after freelancing for 15 years i finally found the right situation for me; and thanks to the readily available HD rigs in town i didn't have to spring for one- just wired my place for them and spent that money on "real" gear and square footage.

Taste Test news: ATR Services is providing the analog tape for all the machines we'll be using during the taste test, so if you haven't heard ATR tape yet, this is going to be a great opportunity to do so.

ATR is also having a booth at the Nashville Recording Workshop and Expo that takes place just down the road Feb 20-21.

it's going to be a great couple of days!

-Chris
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnash ➑️
Next Friday guys!

Dig on the fancy invite & please pass this thread on to anyone you'd think would like to attend!

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
'
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier ➑️
thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
'
thanks! i can't believe the amount of feedback i've been getting from this!
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Man, this is such a cool idea. If only you were out in LA!
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecorwin ➑️
Man, this is such a cool idea. If only you were out in LA!
thanks to you too! well, if you use my Analog Anywhere service i can be in LA! Analog Anywhere (end shameless plug)

on a serious note- if you have a digital mix session that i could use as a demonstration for the event please PM me and send it my way. i have about 6 different projects as demos, but could always use another. i'll FTP you back the "analoged" tracks as compensation. does that sound win/win to you?

-chris
Old 20th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
tonight!

-chris
Old 23rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
for those who might be interested; this taste test gave me a great chance to try out ATR tape on all kinds of music; both on 2" and 1/4" for mixes. i had the machines aligned to +5/250 with 1.75 dB overbais @ 10K (30 ips) and 3 dB overbais @ 10K (15 ips) and loved what i heard.

i found it to be very true to the music when hitting it at normal levels; and it gets nice and beefy when hit harder. a lot of people who brought files in for a taste test left with two versions- "regular" and "hot".

i use BASF900, 3M 996, GP9, 499 and 456 on a regular basis; and ATR fits right in.

-chris mara
(NOT a paid endorsement! LOL)
πŸ“ Reply