Quantcast
Patchbay cabling: will it compromise my signal? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Patchbay cabling: will it compromise my signal?
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Patchbay cabling: will it compromise my signal?

I feel the need of a patchbay, mostly because I want to start using my outboard when mixing ITB (as hardware inserts or bouncing each track) and I don't want it to mess with my workflow.

I'm making my numbers and going the high end route (my hardware IS high end) makes me think I rather spend in more gear and keep doing those tedious connections without a patch.

I checked cheaper options I could afford without feeling bad (going mogami/neutrik is 4 times the price) but then I'm worried about signal integrity.

So the question is: Would you hook high end gear using these cables?

THE SSSNAKE MXP 8030 - Thomann Cyberstore Español
THE SSSNAKE FXP 8030 - Thomann Cyberstore Español
THE SSSNAKE SPP8030 - Thomann Cyberstore Español
THE SSSNAKE SK369S-06 PATCH - Thomann Cyberstore Español

If your answer is "no, I wouldn't", what can you suggest? Thanx!

Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i don't like the looks of most of those.
you spent a ton of money on hi end boxes from what i can see there in your list.
don't stop now, at least get mogami.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I would suggest knocking the cables up yourself. It can be time consuming but worthwhile in the end. I had to build over 100 cables for our patchbays, but in the end I know that if something goes wrong it is my fault. Don't know how many cables you have to make in total, but I'd suggest getting a reel of high quality cable (I use Van Damme) and some decent connectors and spend a few days soldering. It may overall cost a little more than you have planned but you will have top quality cables at a much cheaper cost than buying them new.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanx for your input, guys.
Those cables don't look nice to me either.
I had overlooked the DIY route, I'm going to check that.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I've actually used those snakes setting up a small patchbay once, and I wouldn't recommend them. They work, but there were a lot of questionable "ghost" issues. The only reason they were used was they were literally half or a third of price of anything I could find.

I'd recommend the DIY route as well. Redco and Canare have awesome stuff, cheaper than Mogami. It wouldn't be as cheap as 20 euros for a snake, but it wouldn't break the bank either.

Good luck.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I heard a significant difference using high quality or cheap cabling. Did sound like my speakers increased in Quality. You buy them once and they need no or only low maintenace.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Another advocate of the DIY route here.

I bought a bunch of high quality cable, some mid-grade cabling, and enough various ends instead of going out and buying them from stores. I easily spent about 10% of what I would have paid and everything was custom to what I needed it for.

I didn't want to solder a damn thing for over a year afterwards, but it was worth it.

Oh, and if you do this, get a -GOOD- soldering gun. Early on in my little project my simple little cheapo soldering gun that always worked fine for what I needed it for just up and died one day. I found a good deal on a nice one with a digital temperature control and all these bells and whistles, and it made things much less frustrating and annoying. And you can easily justify the cost, because even if you spent up to $200 on a soldering gun/table, you are still saving -way- more than that by not buying cables from a store.
Old 2nd June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Buy the Cheap stuff

I just bougth a bunch of very similar lookign cables. I'm sure they will be fine.

Personally I have better things to do than sit around soldering up patchbay cables. Like actually 'using the gear' i'm patching.
📝 Reply