Quantcast
Blown away by API (or maybe Waves) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Blown away by API (or maybe Waves)
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Blown away by API (or maybe Waves)

First off, props to Waves. I got the musicians 2 bundle last week and downloading/activation was a breeze. I got the SSL bundle early last year and was the first to gripe about the sheer hell of it so I want to give credit where it's due.

Since last week went so smooth, I decided to demo the API bundle.

wow.

Seriously. I got it to test the bus comp but my real surprise was in the EQ's. They sound SO good. I was able to sweep them at +12 and not one glitch. If this is even close to the hardware, I want it!

I'm def goin' for the bundle as well.

Lunchbox land, here I come!
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yeh, I kind of went the same way. I tried them out and felt that, if the hardware EQ is even better than that, I want one in my lunch box. It's definitely on the list for the tax refund slut-fest. Wouldn't mind a 2500 either, but that'll have to wait.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I purchased the API Bundle today... I really like the eq's as well. I really like the oxford eq and it is next on my list.
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Set Surgeon ➑️
First off, props to Waves. I got the musicians 2 bundle last week and downloading/activation was a breeze. I got the SSL bundle early last year and was the first to gripe about the sheer hell of it so I want to give credit where it's due.

Since last week went so smooth, I decided to demo the API bundle.

wow.

Seriously. I got it to test the bus comp but my real surprise was in the EQ's. They sound SO good. I was able to sweep them at +12 and not one glitch. If this is even close to the hardware, I want it!

I'm def goin' for the bundle as well.

Lunchbox land, here I come!

The API Bundle, the EQ's are fantastic, and it's very easy to get a good sound quickly.
This is Waves best so far, I think.
The Compressor I don't use that much.
I like my UAD Compressors better.

But tracking with my API preamp, or Chandler > Purple Audio MC77, and then using the Waves API EQ on drums, Guitar & bass lightly, makes me very happythumbsup

KK
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I guess it's 'cause the Q narrows as the freq is boosted. This makes for very clean gain. I tried it with my Waves SSL EQ, just gotta use a narrow Q to keep it from clipping and make use of those x3 and /3 buttons. Very NICE!!

(I'm still gettin' them.)
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Set Surgeon ➑️
F If this is even close to the hardware, I want it!
I think the eq's are close to the hardware at mild settings, but when pushed the hardware definitely kills the plug ins. At extreme settings the plugs sounds dull and the the hardware stays very punchy and has that more of that api color.

my opinion, of course
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I've tried the SSL, API and V-Series and API win my vote HANDS DOWN. SSL sounds great too, especially the channel gates, but the API is the most useable and I find myself constantly reaching for the 550B and the 2500.

Definitely worth the money
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I've had 'em since June. I use them on EVERY Mix. Don't really use the 560 graphic EQ though. I want the SSLs too.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsundergroun ➑️
I think the eq's are close to the hardware at mild settings, but when pushed the hardware definitely kills the plug ins. At extreme settings the plugs sounds dull and the the hardware stays very punchy and has that more of that api color.

my opinion, of course

I totally agree. Anyway they are plugs very useful, mainly with analg button in off Mode.
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
The real APIs won hands down too back in the '70s!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes those API's sound cool!

I also like the HydraTone's emulation of the 550. Can't beat the Waves GUI though heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boedoconstrictor ➑️
mainly with analg button in off Mode.
Why is that?
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Deleted 99dc753
Me too here I love the SSL bundle for rock music.
For stuff that may sound more natural and more like in the 60s - 70s I use the UAD Helios Strip....

Anyway I think Waves has done with the SSL a great thing.
I also would like to use the API but at the time I am saving the mony from last three Jobs for an analogue summing unit.

For me the Waves stuff as well as the newer UAD stuff is a sign how accurate they can recreate EQ curves.
Try to drive the input of the SSL strip harder and pull down the output it sounds for my ears better, because it starts to do some kind of saturation as well.

The analogue button is for me the thing!
If you switch it on its is hissing like with the real deal and there was no chance to switch it off....you had to live with it.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I use the API 2500 on the mix bus, and honestly it kills kick transients, everything loses its bottom a bit and sounds sterile. At the moment im blaming myself, but anyone else get this? I use the lowest ratio, slowest attack, -1-2db threshold, soft knee. Tone normal. Feedback Old. With about 4-5db of manual makeup gain.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
"Many people" feel that the Nebula 550b EQ emulations chew, digest and spit out Waves' version.... and there's a free version.

Only drawback, with the currently released versions (Nebula2 & Nebula3), you need to load one plugin instance per EQ band. Not really a big deal considering it sounds better.. and did I mention it's free?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacosWhenTwisted ➑️
I use the API 2500 on the mix bus, and honestly it kills kick transients, everything loses its bottom a bit and sounds sterile. At the moment im blaming myself, but anyone else get this? I use the lowest ratio, slowest attack, -1-2db threshold, soft knee. Tone normal. Feedback Old. With about 4-5db of manual makeup gain.
I use the Waves 2500 as a track compressor much more than as a mix bus comp, but I do find that the medium knee setting punches up the low end more, while the soft knee setting rounds it off (or leaves it alone - which might seem like rounding it off if the mids are getting fuller in proportion).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacosWhenTwisted ➑️
try putting it in new mode (if its like the HW). your makeup gain is squashing your mix.

🎧 15 years
The API bundle is one of the best modelled plugin bundles. The EQ's sound very much like the hardware... The compressor sounds a bit different at most settings, but is still one of the best all around plugin compressors.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
the 2500 is a godsend for parallel compression.
It just works.

I love the 500 EQ's GEEZ can you say AIR?

Also the presets save time too. I just pull up pensado's and adjust to my style. What a time saver.

thumbsup
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio ➑️
Why is that?

Why? Because this plugs (and the V/ api Bundle too) adds a called "analog noise" that sounds like f###n white noise.
When you adds multiple instances this noise becomes a full noise/bad dither, very noticiable.
Simply drive me nuts!
Try insert some plugs of this bundle and crank the monitor level (not in play of course), you were listening to the noise when you change from active to inactive the plugins.
So, wath you think now?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Tolentino ➑️
the 2500 is a godsend for parallel compression.
It just works.

I
thumbsup
this is how Ive been using the 2500. I cant seem to do it better. Sometimes I dont even bother to insert outboard. Im getting lazy! All that manual recall makes me go nuts. 2500, squeeze parallel, done.

eqs are great too, I agree. And its probably one of the few plugs were you can actually try a preset and like it. Good starting points. Sometimes I cant even make it better!
J
ust for the kick of it once I mixed an entire song like this:

1-Turn monitors down. Stop playback:

2- Insert plugs:

kick: api eq, preset kick
snare: api eq, preset snare..

and so on...

in the end 2500, preset drums

guitars the same
bass..
etc
etc

3- in the very end ssl compressor plug in master bus.

4- Then hit play! Bounce. Done!!!!

Almost like my dream button:

AUTO MIX
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Why? Because this plugs (and the V/ api Bundle too) adds a called "analog noise" that sounds like f###n white noise. When you adds multiple instances this noise becomes a full noise/bad dither, very noticiable. Simply drive me nuts!

Try insert some plugs of this bundle and crank the monitor level (not in play of course), you were listening to the noise when you change from active to inactive the plugins. So, wath you think now?
Because they are modelling hardware that has similar characteristics, so it's supposed to sound like that.

I do think that, if you end up with multiple levels that it's too much. So if you have them on some tracks, and then those tracks feed into some busses that have one, and you have one or two on the master buss, that could get out of hand. So you may want to limit it just to the master buss perhaps, and some tracks that would benefit from it. But it's not an undesirable thing necessarily, in moderation.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➑️
Because they are modelling hardware that has similar characteristics, so it's supposed to sound like that.
Nope.
This is because Waves use only one sample/impulse via FFT, so they no sound like noise hardware.
WTB if you only use 1 instance in one track in your sesion with gain makeup or so you have a huge amount of noise.
I try to say: if i record and mix in digital i don't want any type of noise generated artificially!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Chao_Chao ➑️

Almost like my dream button:

AUTO MIX

SHH!!! Your gonna put me outta business sharin info like that!

But I agree, waves did a great job getting those presets in like that. Great time saver, then you just pocket your frequencies and you're usually good.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Nope.
This is because Waves use only one sample/impulse via FFT, so they no sound like noise hardware.
WTB if you only use 1 instance in one track in your sesion with gain makeup or so you have a huge amount of noise.
I try to say: if i record and mix in digital i don't want any type of noise generated artificially!
sometime that noise is what's needed to stop a digital mix being too clean - I spend quite a lot of time dirtying up my itb mixes, more than I spend trying to keep them clean sounding anyway.
Deleted 99dc753
Quote:
Why? Because this plugs (and the V/ api Bundle too) adds a called "analog noise" that sounds like f###n white noise.
When you adds multiple instances this noise becomes a full noise/bad dither, very noticiable.
Simply drive me nuts!
Try insert some plugs of this bundle and crank the monitor level (not in play of course), you were listening to the noise when you change from active to inactive the plugins.
So, wath you think now?
I never has seen it like this way... it is true when you crank the volume up you hear noise but I never had the feeling to compare this with white noise.

I would like to know how the noise of a real G SSL is.
So I can not make statement because I never heard the noise of an real SSL.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
sometime that noise is what's needed to stop a digital mix being too clean - I spend quite a lot of time dirtying up my itb mixes, more than I spend trying to keep them clean sounding anyway.
Yeah, I have to agree with you on that.
Old 20th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
If you can hear that noise within the song...you've got bigger problems.

-T
πŸ“ Reply